Sign in to follow this  

Street Legalizing Honda 1990 XR200R (First Post)

Hello all, first time post here. A little backstory on myself, only started riding motorcycles since December 2014, bought my bike from a family friend for $600 running and in working condition and fell in love with it.  I will be graduating from college this coming December and money is tight for this project.  I live close to school and would like to have my bike to kick around town on and get back and forth to campus (no interstate riding).  I'm good with electronics and am a tinkerer at heart, so this kind of project is not new, I'm just not familiar with the electronic guts on these bikes.

My questions: 

1.  Will all of my hot wires from my electronics be wired back to the regulator on the single hot wire coming from the stator?

2.  Will everything be tied back in to the "common" or "ground" wire on the stator or will they be grounded to the frame?

3.  Where will the alternator be grounded to?

4.  Should I just get a battery and forget trying to wire everything to the stator? LOL

So I need (as I understand it):

Headlight

Horn

Turn Signals

Brake Light

Brake activated switches

12V Regulator

Toggle Switches for all of the above

I'm extremely open to opinions and constructive criticism on this, as this is my first go round with motorcycle electronics.

Thanks and glad to be part of the forum!

Hello all, first time post here. A little backstory on myself, only started riding motorcycles since December 2014, bought my bike from a family friend for $600 running and in working condition and fell in love with it.  I will be graduating from college this coming December and money is tight for this project.  I live close to school and would like to have my bike to kick around town on and get back and forth to campus (no interstate riding).  I'm good with electronics and am a tinkerer at heart, so this kind of project is not new, I'm just not familiar with the electronic guts on these bikes.

My questions: 

1.  Will all of my hot wires from my electronics be wired back to the regulator on the single hot wire coming from the stator?

2.  Will everything be tied back in to the "common" or "ground" wire on the stator or will they be grounded to the frame?

3.  Where will the alternator be grounded to?

4.  Should I just get a battery and forget trying to wire everything to the stator? LOL

So I need (as I understand it):

Headlight

Horn

Turn Signals

Brake Light

Brake activated switches

12V Regulator

Toggle Switches for all of the above

I'm extremely open to opinions and constructive criticism on this, as this is my first go round with motorcycle electronics.

Thanks and glad to be part of the forum!

First item is WA has a well defined process for plating dirt bikes, but it requires a lot of stuff;

street tires

turn signals

two mirrors

horn

brake light

head/tail light

Hope I listed everything.

Your stator should have three wires, if only two wires it is pre 90:

Black/red is ignition power to the CDI module, common on all stators.

Yellow & pink wires from alternator connected to two pink wires in the harness, the two pink wire connectors are the ends of a short jumper that shorts out the AC side of the alternator. You can pull it out of the harness and reuse the connectors for a rect/reg. You will connect the two alternator wires to a DC rectifier/regulator. The alternator is rated at 100watts at 5krpm, barely adequate for street lights. On dual sport models Honda likes to run head/tail lights on AC (with an AC regulator) and then DC via a rect/reg for the battery/horn/turn signals, so a split system is possible.

The 90+ alternator has floating ground for the lighting section, earlier were one wire out and internally grounded for the return.

The ignition section is also internally grounded.  The frame has a common ground point, depending on model, near or at the coil; all grounds should go there.

But the alternator has two empty poles so more capacity can be added, check out Ricky Stator, TrailTech, etc.

Some motorcycle shops are certified to approve conversions, do a search in the PNW forum for the good/bad/ugly about the WA statute for conversion.

Edited by Chuck.

A popular method in my area is to run the headlight and taillight from the stator. Then run everything else from a small li-ion battery as a total loss. If you use LED lights the battery lasts for quite a long time"months", this also allows for motor off brake light actuation which is a requirement in some areas. I think the easiest horn is the bicycle style that runs on its own battery.

Baja Designs has a kit for your bike and you can find out on there web site if you need to rewind the stator for everything to work properly.

You will need to add a rear view mirror and gear your bike higher.

I would suggest to use (balanced) duel sport DOT tires.

I recently did this on my newly acquired 95 XR 250r. Ordered my BD kit on a Monday from my local independent M/C shop, picked it up after work on Tuesday, was riding on the streets in my neighborhood by dark.

Kit works great, plug and play, lights are bright, bolt on and ride.

Bam, easy, done!