Sign in to follow this  

Jetting for 13000 ft?

Hi i currently have jetted with 155 the 22.5 and red needle clip 3. I was looking to ride to the top of mosquito pass by leadville colorado anyone see any problems with the jetting going to that elevation?

Don't jet for 13k feet would be my advice.  Jet for a more realistic elevation like 8-9 feet, or the elevation that you'll be at the most.  I live at around 7500 feet and most of my riding is at that elevation or a little higher.  You need to lean out your mixture.  Put needle all the way down.  I forget what my jetting is exactly cause it's been so long since I did it, but I've ridden up to 13K feet on Imogene and the bike did just fine.  Read this link, sounds like you have JD jet kit, but it still applies:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/913266-moved-from-sea-level-to-5400-what-about-jetting/?hl=jetting+8%2C000+feet#entry9520551

Forget the jetting, bring an oxygen tank and mask for yourself!!!!

I was suprised how little affect a big alt. change had on the running of my DRZ. A few weeks ago went from sealevel to 7,000 ft. and it ran close to the same. If your close to being rich, you might want to try moving the clip up one notch and maybe down to a 150 main, for sure turn the mixture screw in a turn.

Lol When i mess with my extended fuel screw it never seems to get just right or at least i cant tell the difference until im riding and then if i need to adjust im unsure which way to screw it... you say turn it in?

Mine doesnt like to idle at some elevations itll die but startback up when i start it and gas it a little but when i go back to idle going down it dies out. Im not sure why

Yea for the most part i think its jetted for where i live which is denver about 5300 ft it seems fine just feels weird at dif elevations im not used to it being from cny elevation doesnt change much

That's about the only bad part of living/riding out here.  I can go a half hour and be down in Aztec, NM (5500 feet) or go a half hour north and be at 10-11k feet.  You just need to find a middle range that works good and stick with it, unless you really like taking your carb off all the time and changing out the jets.  You can make your life real easy-just go buy a fuel injected bike.  

It's not gonna run great at 13k feet.  My advice is to gear down and stay on the throttle.  

Lol When i mess with my extended fuel screw it never seems to get just right or at least i cant tell the difference until im riding and then if i need to adjust im unsure which way to screw it... you say turn it in?

Ya, the fuel screw is leaned out by turning it in (clockwise)

Mine doesnt like to idle at some elevations itll die but startback up when i start it and gas it a little but when i go back to idle going down it dies out. Im not sure why

Do you have a tach? make sure the idle is high enough, at lest 1,500rpm . I run mine at 1,700rpm, if I go higher than that the idle hangs up for too long, below that it stalls out and hesitates in the tight trails too much.

I've been mucking with mine for a while now, it's tough to get a happy medium with is carb. If I'm set a little lean, it hesitates just off idle and if I'm a bit rich it will stall out in the tight narly trails.  Joe might be on to something, or try the 600 dollar FCR carb.

Hi i currently have jetted with 155 the 22.5 and red needle clip 3. I was looking to ride to the top of mosquito pass by leadville colorado anyone see any problems with the jetting going to that elevation?

I run the same jetting with stock carb, FMF power bomb and FMF Q4. I have been to about 10,500 and had 0 issue. 

Jetted for 5,000', had no problems with Imogene, Engineer etc. Down on power for sure, there's only ~ 70% of the oxygen at 13,000' as there is at sea level. Idled and started fine at the top, you won't need choke to get it started. Never touched the idle mixture screw. Start out with a clean air filter.