2012 RMZ250 Low Idle

Hello all.  I have looked in the RMZ250 forum and can't seem to find any info to help me.

My son rides a 2012 that when we purchased it only had 9 hours on it.

It has always been hard to start, especially when cold, and I can only get it to idle around 1100 rpm.

I have checked the valves and they are good.  I have tried to adjust the idle using the cold start knob, adjusting to 36 clicks out and still get low idle.

I decided to try another throttle body thinking that this one may have been messed with as far as the throttle stop bolt, tps, etc, but once I swapped it out I am having the same issue.

I have found many topics about low idle but none that have any fix listed other than adjusting the cold start knob/idle.

Has anyone had this issue and was able to fix it?

Maybe a fuel pressure issue? Or timing issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks for the reply.

I had read through your topic and saw that some people have had issues with the kick start idler.

I have inspected the idler, kick starter, and all that bolts to that side of the engine.  All looks good.

I am thinking that it could be a timing issue or something like that.

By the way, it has 57 hours on in now.

I had the same bike and it suffered the same thing too mine has around 12 bourse what I did is bottom out the idle knob all the way in (turning it right) then once it is down turn it 5-6 rotations out (left) rotations not clicks so pay attention to the knob while Turning it. After doing this and breaking in my bike it's easier to start. I'm only 115lbs and if I stall out in a race I can hold in the clutch and kick it up in 3 hard kicks

My 2013 does the same thing. It starts hot or cold 1 or 2 kicks and runs awesome, but it will not idle any faster than 1200 rpm. I hope someone can help the both of us out.

Me too notty!!!  I am still working/playing with this one.  When I figure it out I will let you know.

Did your bike come with the different couplers that enable you to change the fuel map? If so, try installing the gray one, which will richen the mixture. Once you get the bike started, turn the idle adjustment knob clockwise to speed the idle up. 

Its counter clockwise.  I'm sure you know just a typo.