TTR 90 will not idle

I know what you think, another one of those posts.

Not quite. I've done some reading on the forum and have not resolved my issue yet.

I just got this 2002 TTR 90 for free from a friend.

He could not get it running so he gave it to me. Someone put 2 stroke in it. I cleaned the carb with carb cleaner as well as an air compressor, bought new jets and a few other little pieces from the local yamaha dealer. First off the two adjustment screws were switched so i corrected that. With the choke on it will start with one kick and idle. With the choke off and with the idle screw bottomed out it will start with one kick and a little throttle wiggle and will idle for 2 to 3 seconds then die. No matter where the fuel screw is it will not idle. Everything is pretty clean including air filter and i have new jets. I used the recommended screw settings from yamaha as well as some recommended settings I found on the forum. 

Anything else i am overlooking?

Thanks for the help

I was going to say clean the petcock from all the old oil, but if it runs fine on choke then never mind.

The choke richens up the mixture, so I'm wondering if beefing up the idle jet or messing with the A/F screw would help.

Does it bog down if you give it some throttle with no choke?

I was going to say clean the petcock from all the old oil, but if it runs fine on choke then never mind.

The choke richens up the mixture, so I'm wondering if beefing up the idle jet or messing with the A/F screw would help.

Does it bog down if you give it some throttle with no choke?

The other screw has no effect when it comes to helping it idle, or I haven't gotten it to atleast. With the choke off it can be ridden like normal and revs and sounds fine, it just wont idle.

if the bike will stay running while rocking it side to side, then i would suspect the float level to be off.

my grandson's ttr-50 had a float issue but after setting it, the bike idles and runs much better

if the bike will stay running while rocking it side to side, then i would suspect the float level to be off.

my grandson's ttr-50 had a float issue but after setting it, the bike idles and runs much better

How do you adjust the float and how do you know when it is set correctly?

Figured it out. I moved the clip on the needle to the bottom position (more fuel). Started first kick, just had to adjust the idle a little bit. Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem.