400 XR with RS DC kit issues

Hello again...

Last year I have installed the Ricky Stator DC kit  for my XR 400. It worked perfectly fine till 5 days ago. When I was driving with my lights on, the headlight started to flash and eventualy die (the rear light was still working). I stop the bike turn off the lights and then back on, both lights were on. I start moving again headlight goes off. It kept doing that the next day as well, and I thought that it was a battery issue.
I go to my mechanic and measured the battery levels both engine off and on, and they were both good. I left the battery to fully charge for 5 hours and then connected it to the bike again. Used it for 3 days on a row, last night lights on for 1 hour straight and no issues.

Although, today on my way home the headlight started doing the same but only when I was using the brake light, the headlight would turn off. I had to turn off my lights and back on and the headlight would work again untill I used the break and that would cause it to die. I went to my mechanic, he thought it was my switch checked and sprayed the connections but nothing was fixed. I have to mention that with the engine off the lights would work perfectly so the battery is not fully discharged. In the end, the headlight would go off even without breaking just by moving.

You can see in the videos what was going on when I parked the bike. Check on idle, that I press the break and the headlight goes bright. Also when I turn the engine off that the parking light is very bright.

I believe it is the Regulator/Rectifier w/Relay that causes the issue.

Video 1:    

Video 2:    

EDIT: I noticed today that when I am having a higher gear and going slow to the point that I should normally lower one gear down, the lights start to run again till I accelerate or lower the gear eventualy and they turn off again.

Edited by PinkFloyd92

My KTM had an issue like that (not to mention the problems I had with my RS DC kit on my own 400) but it ended up being the rear brake light hydraulic switch (on the brake pedal) was bad. With the bike off,, I could press the rear brake so the brake light came on, but the headlight would also light up and blow my fuse in about 2 seconds. 

My DC kit worked well for about 2 hours before I had issues on my XR. The headlight would dim out and it would only show about 6-8V power until I turned the bike off. Then the battery would show a full charge and everything worked until I would start it again and take off on it. Then by 3 rd gear it would dim out again. I had to take off the battery and use a capacitor instead and it has worked fine since. I just cannot use the Trail Tech 3700 mah battery for some reason. I even tried using it again a few weeks ago and got the same results. I tried grounding to frame with no luck and then tried running all grounds just back to the battery with no frame ground and it made no difference at all. Put the capacitor back on with either set up and everything works perfect. Beats me what it is!! I'd still like to find out myself.

Sad to hear that...

I noticed today that when I am having a higher gear and going slow to the point that I should normally lower one gear down, the lights start to run again till I accelerate or lower the gear eventualy and they turn off again.

I contacted Ricky Stator today and I am waiting for a reply. Hopefuly they will have an answer to my issue.