Sign in to follow this  

Alpinestars Tech 8 Light Boot Opinions

I have tech 8 boots and love them. My 3rd pair and will stick with them, they are a little stiff on break in but I think that's normal with boots. My buddy runs tech 10 and says they are way softer to break in so i might go that way for my next par but thats a long time off.

I have tech 8 boots and love them. My 3rd pair and will stick with them, they are a little stiff on break in but I think that's normal with boots. My buddy runs tech 10 and says they are way softer to break in so i might go that way for my next par but thats a long time off.

I saw on the reviews on this boot that someone said the white boots have more ventilation than the black ones. Do you anything about this?

I saw on the reviews on this boot that someone said the white boots have more ventilation than the black ones. Do you anything about this?

They have vented boots vs regular in all colors I never went the vented way due to water getting in them so not sure about them.

http://www.alpinestars.com/mx/footwear

Now if only AStar could figure out how to make buckles this would be a really good boot. ;)

The buckles are junk? My friend has a pair of AStars, I don't know which ones but he doesn't have a problem with them.

The buckles are junk? My friend has a pair of AStars, I don't know which ones but he doesn't have a problem with them.

They are legendary for their screwed up buckle design.

They are legendary for their screwed up buckle design.

Never had a problem with mine in 16yrs. Other than the buckles being hard to undo sometimes.

I liked the older Tech 8's more, the ones with the full booty. Got cold feet the other day in the Lights. Rode in snow a lot with the old pair and Never got cold feet. Actually, didn't even notice when my feet got wet in the older boots.

Soul Isn't as appropriate for off road on the Tech 10's, but I'll compromise for a full inner booty next time.

I have a size 15 foot. I've taken some really hard hits with the Tech 8's and always come out smelling like roses. The one time I thought I broke bones, there was a chunk of the tree stump I kicked still wedged under the buckle, preventing me from moving my foot.

Edited by AddictedToBling
  • Like 1

Never had the buckle issue but how they attach to the boot is the problem for me. My newest pair is ok so far but I can see that there could be a issue. But one good thing is you can just buy a new one a put it right on. It's crazy that you spend $500 plus on a boot and they have issues, but I spent $9k on a dirt bike that I beat the shit out of and need constant maintenance so in the overall it's not that much lol

• Like 1

Watch someone buckle their AStars.  They pound on the buckle to latch it and make sure it stays latched, and then they still come unlatched at the oddest times if you happen to rub up against a blade of grass.  Two of my sons have them, and have had several pairs, and it is a ritual for them with the buckles.

• Like 1

Watch someone buckle their AStars.  They pound on the buckle to latch it and make sure it stays latched, and then they still come unlatched at the oddest times if you happen to rub up against a blade of grass.  Two of my sons have them, and have had several pairs, and it is a ritual for them with the buckles.

Yeah, I do get that  :lol: .

My first pair lasted 12 yrs, rode about 4 times a week back then averaging around 200ks a ride, plus MX racing. Hence why I bought a 2nd pair.

Only reason I stopped wearing them after 12yrs was that I wore the soles out, beyond repair. I'll get a Pic later. You'll love it  :goofy: .

Edited by AddictedToBling

Try a pair of Heckels their hinged at the ankle you ll lov em. I was given a pair in 1973 and break em out for some vintage races lol

Got to agree here, first time I ever considered and tried on a pair of Astars i couldn't believe the way the buckle system was designed.. Was a real pain to latch.  I slipped on the Gaerne's right after and quickly realized how much easier / better they were to get on and setup.  Haven't considered Astars since.

I've never had any problems with Astar buckles, and have never had one come unlatched. I've had many pairs over the years.

I have a newer pair of Tech 7's (2015) and the buckles are the best I've ever used or seen. Maybe they had some issues in the past, but the new design kicks ass.. no matter how tight the strap is it is like butter to close and they stay closed.

• Like 3

I have a newer pair of Tech 7's (2015) and the buckles are the best I've ever used or seen. Maybe they had some issues in the past, but the new design kicks ass.. no matter how tight the strap is it is like butter to close and they stay closed.

I have the 2015 Tech 8's and I love the buckles, they're easy to use with gloves on and they don't even look like coming undone during ride time.

Super comfy, love the inner booty and I'm not a fan of the Tech 10 or 7 style (sneaker look)

Overall I recommend these boots highly but in saying that they don't necessarily fit all types of feet.

Edited by NunChucka

I couldn't help feeling the new tech 8's were a step backwards compared to the old tech 8's.

The old tech 8's seem to have a better quality, plus have the full inner bootie, and they last forever.

• Like 1

I've been using my Alpinestars 3's for almost 2 years, no problems at all.

Some people love Astars some others hate them and worst is that some are only based on "I have heard".

The tech 8's are on a good sale now.

Edited by MXGuy34

Watch someone buckle their AStars. They pound on the buckle to latch it and make sure it stays latched, and then they still come unlatched at the oddest times if you happen to rub up against a blade of grass. Two of my sons have them, and have had several pairs, and it is a ritual for them with the buckles.

The most recent versions have a new buckle design that is actually pretty sweet. I still switched to Gaerne because of the old design though

• Like 1

The most recent versions have a new buckle design that is actually pretty sweet. I still switched to Gaerne because of the old design though

Well that's good to know.  I may even consider a pair sometime down the road after my Flys wear out.