Sign in to follow this  

RM125 - What Now?

I got a RM125 a few weeks back, its a 1996. The owner said it has had no maintenance done to it, no rebuilds, but it rides fine. I have some extra money, what should I get done to it/switched out? I don't know much about bikes but I feel like after 20 years it needs something done to it lol. 

Complete rebuild of motor top and bottom end just for piece of mind. It will cost a lot more to rebuild/repair if it blows up. Then check all the bearings- wheel and suspension linkage. Then clean and freshen up the suspension. In other words-- Complete overhaul from the wheels up!

• Like 1

Complete rebuild of motor top and bottom end just for piece of mind. It will cost a lot more to rebuild/repair if it blows up. Then check all the bearings- wheel and suspension linkage. Then clean and freshen up the suspension. In other words-- Complete overhaul from the wheels up!

Thanks! About how much would the engine cost to rebuild, if you have any idea?

Here is the first piston top end kit I found for your bike in a search. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wiseco-Top-End-Piston-Kit-Suzuki-RM125-91-96-54-5mm-/310828125428?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

If you can do the job yourself that is all that portion of work should cost you.

Check for crank shaft play while you have the top end apart. If the crank shaft has worn bearings then engine failure is bound to happen sometime. If you don't know how to do this stuff then either get a manual and have at it, or be prepared to pay a shop more money than the bike is worth.

If you are lucky you won't find many other things going bad in there. Also like mentioned above go over all of the bearings. Surely they are in need of grease or replacing.