Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400E starting problems

I've got a fairly well used 2001 E and when I press the start button with the clutch lever pulled in, the bike just clicks (probably the stater relay). It started a few months ago and was intermittent. Rocking the bike back & forwards in gear, solved the problem & it fired up. Now that doesn't work. When the bike was running, it ran just fine. I could try jump starting it, but as I live on a hill it's gonna be a pain to push it back up if it doesn't work!

When I press the start button I get about 12v at the starter motor terminal, and it drops to 0v once I stop pressing the button. I've taken the cover off the top idler gear and I can rotate the starter motor.

It looks like a broken starter motor but I wanted to check on here before taking it all apart.

Thanks

If your relay is clicking and starter is not turning motor over, definitely put a brand new starter in! Its an easy job!

Sounds like possibly an open segment in the armature.  But before you spend a lot , take the starter out disassemble and look at the brushes.  Warn-out or hanging up in the brush holders?  If you replace brushes. replace the brushes and the brush springs.

• Like 2

Sounds like possibly an open segment in the armature.  But before you spend a lot , take the starter out disassemble and look at the brushes.  Warn-out or hanging up in the brush holders?  If you replace brushes. replace the brushes and the brush springs.

What he said. Starters are very simple. I would take it apart and have a look. The problem should be easily identified with a thorough visual inspection.

That is, if your absolutely sure the battery is good. I know you said you're getting 12V. Im just saying, before you go chasing waterfalls, check the easy stuff. If the battery is weak it will only click the relay and not actually turn the bike over. Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks for your responses; confirms what I thought, but I will double check the battery first :-)