Supersprox rear sprocket issue

My rear aluminum sprocket broke apart.  This is the 1st time I have seen a sprocket do this.  I think I only had about 6 months of use on it, though I bought it in April 2014 (It was on my shelf for several months before I installed it).  I just ordered a Sunstar Z works (or something like that), and don't think I will ever be buying a Supersprox again.  Fortunately, it broke apart while I was going slow and we were on a gravel road segment accessible by truck.  It would have really blown if I had to push it out of the desert.

IMG_20150809_073120.jpg

• Like 3

Sorry if that really happened to you but from here...that really looks Photoshopped.....more pics please.

That sprocket doesn't even look like any of the models listed on the Supersprox website:

https://www.supersproxusa.com/Products/

-Stealth

-racing metal

-MX racing aluminium

I was riding with rmzpegger who is also on this forum when it happened.  The bike was parked and I grabbed my phone / took a picture.  Chain was not too tight, as I have been checking it for being too loose.  I haven't had to adjust the chain tension since putting on a new tire.  As you can see, that tire is trashed, so it has been a while.  I'm not sure if it's a bad design or perhaps a big rock wacked it at some point and caused some stress cracks, etc.  The terrain we ride is a bit rough, and I'm not easy on my bike.

It still shows on RMATV: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/957/-/197396/Supersprox-Rear-Aluminum-Sprocket-50-Tooth-Blue?term=1261860018 (I see the picture doesn't exactly match what I have though - that was the part number I ordered)

IMG_20150810_162012.jpg

Edited by mch

Sorry if that really happened to you but from here...that really looks Photoshopped.....more pics please.

That sprocket doesn't even look like any of the models listed on the Supersprox website:

https://www.supersproxusa.com/Products/

-Stealth

-racing metal

-MX racing aluminium

Not Photoshopped! MCH was lucky on a few accounts. The chain stayed on what was left of the sprocket. Could have come off and wiped out the case. Way to screw up our ride MCH!

• Like 1

Ouch, lucky you didn't get hurt or cases damaged.

Contact Supersprox about it, I'm sure they would like to inspect that sprocket for any manufacturing flaws.

MCH I agree with this! If it's the type of aluminum they're using or a heat treat issue or some other quality control problem it would be in their best interest to avoid possible liability with someone getting hurt? Most of the sprockets I have damaged in the desert bent and even knocked a few teeth off but did not explode or disintegrate!

• Like 1

I sent an e-mail to staff at Supersprox with pictures and an explanation of what happened.  Their reply was something like I'd expect and I agree with.  Basically, who knows what could have caused this.  They recommended I use a steel sprocket for the type of terrain I ride, and offered to give me a discount on a replacement sprocket or sprocket / chain combo.  I already bought a replacement Sunstar sprocket and it was installed last night.  I normally like to change the chain and sprockets at the same time, but I'll just have to live with it.  I still need to inspect the chain real good to see if there are any issues.

• Like 1

I said goodbye to aluminum sprockets. I run ironman sprockets. A few oz heavier than renthal aluminum but will outlast most bikes.

ymaha-2__16661.1419278921.200.200.jpg?c=

post-238669-1326403853065.jpg

I've seen photos of that sprocket fail also. Just not enough strength. Weight savings can go too far especially concerning a critical,  heavily abused item. 

I've seen photos of that sprocket fail also. Just not enough strength. Weight savings can go too far especially concerning a critical,  heavily abused item. 

I've never seen or heard of an ironman failing.  If you can dig up the picture please do.  I have however seen the hub fail on a bike with an ironman.  My buddy riding it took a nice dirtnap on that one....

I've never seen or heard of an ironman failing.  If you can dig up the picture please do.  I have however seen the hub fail on a bike with an ironman.  My buddy riding it took a nice dirtnap on that one....

It was on Two Wheeled Texans, KTMTalk  or the Adventure Rider site a few years ago. Possibly here in on TT but that is a last choice. Some guy in Cali. I have never had success doing searches and won't try now.

Wonder if the OP's chain is too tight? The picture shows that even with most of the sprocket missing, there isn't much sag in the chain. 

No, the chain sag was fine.  Once the sprocket went, the teeth weren't going into the chain in the right spot.  It would go tight, then loose, etc.  It made a racket before I stopped, and pushing it was pretty difficult.  I actually double checked the sag before I went riding that day (No adjustment needed).  I put my new sprocket on and didn't have to adjust the chain any.  When adjusted, I do it on a center stand, wheel off the ground / make sure there is the correct amount of play (push the lower portion of the chain up until it hits the swing-arm, then check the play up at the top portion of the swing-arm).

It was on Two Wheeled Texans, KTMTalk  or the Adventure Rider site a few years ago. Possibly here in on TT but that is a last choice. Some guy in Cali. I have never had success doing searches and won't try now.

The only thing I was able to find was an old thread on TT about a Yamaha hub blowing out and the ironman breaking because of it.  There were those who theorized that the design of the ironman added stress to an already weak yamaha hub creating the problem.  ironman actually changed there design a few years back to not stress the hub as much.  I personally have run an ironman for 150+ hours now and there is zero wear on it.  I have been thoroughly impressed with it.

If one failed im guessing its due to a loose sprocket bolt. Guys will get hundreds of hours out of one of these. Heck zip ty racings off road crew could get a whole year of riding out of one and no one on earth is harder on stuff than those guys.

• Like 1