Sign in to follow this  

XR400 clutch help needed

Got a good running 96 XR400. The other day the clutch lifter pin broke. The mushroom head broke clean off. Ordered a new one. Pulled pressure plate off, installed new pin. Put pressure plate back and placed clutch cover back in place. Then ran into problem.

The clutch lever would Not seem come around to its original position. And the only tension on it is from the little spring on the lifter Rod. The lifter Rod bottoms out during rotation before the pressure plate is lifted.

Would any of you kind folks have any idea what's going on? I was thinking it would be an easy fix and now I been fiddling with it off and on for 4 days and am no closer to figuring It out.

Edited by briarjumper12

Are you sure you are capturing the lifter with the clutch control shaft. when you put the cover on you have to have the clutch control swung back about 180° from where it it is when you can connect the cable to it and as you put the cover on you roll it toward the front of the bike in a clockwise direction catching the pull shaft as you do it.  It pulls the mushroom head instead of pushing on it.  Someone correct me if I explained this wrong.

Edited by Tryingoutdirt

Are you sure you are capturing the lifter with the clutch control shaft. when you put the cover on you have to have the clutch control swung back about 180° from where it it is when you can connect the cable to it and as you put the cover on you roll it toward the front of the bike in a clockwise direction catching the pull shaft as you do it.  It pulls the mushroom head instead of pushing on it.  Someone correct me if I explained this wrong.

You're right. Install the cover with the clutch lever arm pointing to the rear. At some point between there and the lever pointing to the left, it will engage the lifter pin.

It's pretty simple. Can't think of any reason why you're having trouble unless it's installed wrong or the wrong part.

I compared the new lifter pin with the old one and they are the same. The rod is engaging the lifter but the groove on the lifter rod is bottom out on the lifter pin before the pressure lifts. My mechanic friend is stopping by tonight hopefully we can figure it out.

I suppose if the diameter of that short section below the mushroom head of the lifter is too big, you'd experience the problem you're having. Maybe put a pair of dial calipers on them and compare.