broken counter shaft sprocket washer (again)

WP_20150810_17_21_35_Pro_zps0annw52f.jpgWP_20150810_17_20_35_Pro_zpshyesefig.jpg

Fist time I thought it was a fluke.

2nd time?

I admit I didn't use a tourque wrench. However outer washer bottoms out on countershaft, inner spring washer keeps tension on sprocket.

I have packed it full of mud on muddy track days.

What can I do to prevent this?

Remove outer cover so dirt can't get packed in?

WP_20150810_17_21_35_Pro_zps0annw52f.jpgWP_20150810_17_20_35_Pro_zpshyesefig.jpg

Fist time I thought it was a fluke.

2nd time?

I admit I didn't use a tourque wrench. However outer washer bottoms out on countershaft, inner spring washer keeps tension on sprocket.

I have packed it full of mud on muddy track days.

What can I do to prevent this?

Remove outer cover so dirt can't get packed in?

got a set of calipers?

id make sure its not contacting the sprocket before the counter shaft....

got a set of calipers?

id make sure its not contacting the sprocket before the counter shaft....

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes I have calipers, I will check.

First one was stock sprocket.

This one is JT.

Practice on Saturday was a muddy mess. Packed full of mud. I washed it out before I raced, but didn't look at it closely till just now.

I am riding tomorrow night, so my plan is to keep an eye on it and ride.

I'm afraid if I take it off it may break when I reinstall.

Not a big deal as I made a replacement out of various washers, but I will probably ride tomorrow then pull it off.

Torque was only 23 ft/lbs on mine. I'd apply Loctite and torque it with the proper washer. As long as the sprocket is on right, it should be fine.

I just realized it's because I'm running the 1mm spacer behind the sprocket for extra case to chain clearance. So there is an extra 1mm of pressure on the outer washer which is causing it to break.

I just realized it's because I'm running the 1mm spacer behind the sprocket for extra case to chain clearance. So there is an extra 1mm of pressure on the outer washer which is causing it to break.

now you need to run a 1mm spacer on the end of the countershaft....

got a lathe?  :ride:

now you need to run a 1mm spacer on the end of the countershaft....

got a lathe? :ride:

My pop has a lathe and I run a mill in a machine shop, so no issues there. Probably be easier to just cut one on the waterjet.

I can't believe I didn't realize the cause sooner.

I don't think I even need the spacer with the chain I have. Either way I will have a new washer wed or thurs and fix the problem.

Thanks again!

The pre 09 bolt/washer setup fixes that.

The pre 09 bolt/washer setup fixes that.

well since hes buying a washer anyways......

I run the spacer. Broke mine twice within the first 40 hours from new. Changed the washer. 185 hours now and all good.

Scary when you find it broken after a ride!

i would just flip the sprocket on the cs.. that gives the 1mm+ clearance without using a spacer on the inside or outside..

WP_20150819_18_46_06_Pro_zpse1ip7kty.jpg

Still have at least .030" clearance without spacer using renthal chain.

Clearance is clearance. I shouldn't have any more problems.

WP_20150819_18_55_06_Pro_zps5p3bxhii.jpg

I can't believe this washer stayed intact for my race. It literally fell into pieces as soon as I loosened the bolt!

Washer was approximately.031". No reason to even use the washer imo.

I was wondering why do you use the spacer behind the sprocket?  Is there an issue with the chain clearance?  I just bought a 2013.  The previous owner had replaced the bolt and washers with items from home improvement store.  The incorrect set-up drove me nuts.  Finally got the parts yesterday and changed out the parts out last night. It was at this point I also realized the sprocket was flipped. Before I happened upon this post I assumed he lost the bolt and flipped the sprocket to accommodate the bolt/washer arrangement.  Now I am thinking he flipped the sprocket to make room for the o-ring chain.  What should the case to chain clearance be?

I was wondering why do you use the spacer behind the sprocket? Is there an issue with the chain clearance? I just bought a 2013. The previous owner had replaced the bolt and washers with items from home improvement store. The incorrect set-up drove me nuts. Finally got the parts yesterday and changed out the parts out last night. It was at this point I also realized the sprocket was flipped. Before I happened upon this post I assumed he lost the bolt and flipped the sprocket to accommodate the bolt/washer arrangement. Now I am thinking he flipped the sprocket to make room for the o-ring chain. What should the case to chain clearance be?

The washer behind the sprocket or flipped sprocket is so an o-ring chain won't contact the case due to an o-ring chain being wider.

To me, if it clears, that is enough.

Without a washer behind the sprocket I have a minimum of .030". If you look closely at my pic, I have a feeler gauge behind the sprocket showing the amount of clearance I have.

Different chains will have different width's. Most of the new "x-ring" style chains are narrow(er) so as some have stated a spacer or flipping the chain is not necessary.

Even with the spacer washer I would only have .060" clearance. I now have half that.

Clearance is clearance... Imo .030 vs .060 won't be a problem.

Hope this helps.

I meant to say flipping the sprocket is not necessary.^above

Exactly! You need to find another washer that fits inside that part that is breaking and allows the bolt to run through it. The spacer is to allow for chain movement and alignment. I've always run one with an O-ring. You might be ok, just remember a washer will fix the other set-up you were breaking..

Edited by hardlinemx

Seriously dudes. The 02-08 washer fixes this problem. You need the chain/case clearance, every bit helps when debris is getting dragged through there.

Flip sprocket. :rolleyes:  Works great but driving in reverse is tough :jawdrop:

Seriously dudes. The 02-08 washer fixes this problem. You need the chain/case clearance, every bit helps when debris is getting dragged through there.

I ran the spacer since my bike was new. .06" clearance. Packed full of mud multiple times. I now have .03" clearance. I don't think the difference between .06 and .03 is going to be any different.

Each individual can run a spacer, flip the sprocket, etc. Or not. It's their bike, their choice.

To me, less clearance may be better. Less chance that something can get wedged in-between the chain and case.

2 rides so far, no broken washer, no case issues.

My advice is run an x-ring (narrow)style o-ring chain with stock hardware. Again just my opinion.