Sign in to follow this  

What to do? Motor related

I have a 2013, 250r. Alright so I just re shimmed my valves at 245 hours. The exhausts were .013 spec is .011 the intakes I couldn't get a .0005 in. So I assumed they are down at 0. Never been shimmed ever. I have done 2 top ends on it, besides that nothing else. I shimmed the intakes to .006. I rode it for 2h, then I had a 2h hare scramble that I raced in. Came back checked the valves and they are out. The intakes exhausts are perfect. The right is down to .003 and the left is .0025. What should I do? Re shim again. Or rebuild the head. If I rebuild the head should I put oem valves and springs in or should I get the kibble whites valves and springs? Is it really worth the money for the kibble whites? And when I do the head should I do the top end too? Thanks for the help.

Have the head rebuilt with new guides,seals and cut the seats. Put new oem valves and springs and call it good. I would put a new piston in as well. ..go to parts fish.com, service honda or whittier fun center for the best price on oem stuff.

Oh and a new cam chain also

Should I do both exhaust and intake valves or just the intake since the exhaust is still in spec.  From what I read, I need to buy valves, guides, stem seals, springs, head gasket set, piston, rings, wrist pin, clips, cam chain, left engine gasket.  Wow this is getting expensive!.  Am I missing anything else!

Looking at OEM Parts diagram do I need to buy new valve spring retainers, valve spring seat and cotters or can I reuse those.  I am going with OEM springs and valves.  On the valve guides the only thing listed is oversized.  I assume that is correct and what I need. 

Edited by dirtman48

If a '14 head will go on your bike, I've got a complete head with 6 hours on it I'd sell.

According to this the head is different between 13 and 14.  The all-new 2014 engine has the same basic architecture as before, but Honda wanted a more aggressive power delivery. A revised cylinder head, a higher compression ratio and a new piston help with that, along with a 12-hole fuel injector that sits at a new angle (a tuning secret learned last year) and shoots a dual-timing charge of fuel. A quick initial burst of fuel is shot at the intake valves early in the timing cycle, mostly at lower to mid rpm, which is said to cool the back of the valve before the rest of the fuel burst is released like normal.​

I'm thinking the 14 head will bolt up..depending on his price that may be an excellent option for you...then sell your 13 head..

According to this the head is different between 13 and 14. The all-new 2014 engine has the same basic architecture as before, but Honda wanted a more aggressive power delivery. A revised cylinder head, a higher compression ratio and a new piston help with that, along with a 12-hole fuel injector that sits at a new angle (a tuning secret learned last year) and shoots a dual-timing charge of fuel. A quick initial burst of fuel is shot at the intake valves early in the timing cycle, mostly at lower to mid rpm, which is said to cool the back of the valve before the rest of the fuel burst is released like normal.​

Honda basically says that every year with a new model. The head will fit, no question about that.

How much for the head???? I'm assuming it will fit a 2012 also

How much for the head???? I'm assuming it will fit a 2012 also

Send me a pm, and make me an offer. I'm reasonable and I'll pay shipping, as long as it goes UPS ground in the lower 48. Here's a picture of the head.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Cam caps are matched to the head. I wouldnt buy a head without them.

Looking at OEM Parts diagram do I need to buy new valve spring retainers, valve spring seat and cotters or can I reuse those.  I am going with OEM springs and valves.  On the valve guides the only thing listed is oversized.  I assume that is correct and what I need. 

yep

you don't neccessarilly have to do the valve guides when you do the valves but I'd imagine they're due with that many hours on em. If so, it wouldn't cost much more to just buy a new head than it'd cost to have the seats recut and guides installed. Since you need to have your seats cut I'd just send off the head and have them measure the guides before they do any work, then you can decide what you want to do from there.

245 hours is impressive!