Sign in to follow this  

Best way to ride a 450 in the woods?

So any ways I've been messing with my sprocket gearing on my new bike,still getting use to it with only 20hrs. My thinking is that when riding a 450 in the woods through tight technical areas you want to be smooth and lower in the rpm range and lug vs higher Rpm.

With 13/52 gearing where I ride I'm usually revving higher in 2nd gear and occasionally hit 3rd.

With 13/50 gearing in usually 100% in 2nd but smoother on the throttle and lower in the rpm range. Still able to hit 3rd but rare.

To me it makes sense to use the 13/50 gearing for the trails that I ride. What do you guys think?

2014 ktm 450xcw

Edited by Cdiddy86
  • Like 1

I ride a KTM 450XCF on New England single track. I totally agree with you about the smooth steady power. Try a G2 Ergo throttle cam to smooth it out even more. I run 13/53 and i shift much less than I did with 13/50. I was going to stop at 52 but those PD sprockets are so cheap I said screw it. Glad I did.

• Like 1

I always ride a gear high and if possible, I never shift. Most of my riding is between 2nd-4th gear. 5th is for the roads, 1st is for the slowest of the slow...

• Like 1

I second the G2, big help in the really tight stuff. Gearing is personal preference and will vary by terrain.

Higher gear, finger on the clutch to increse rpms or limit forward motion, and keep the throttle cracked open all the time, instead of on-off-on-off. 

That's what the lever on the left side of the bar is for......

• Like 4

Wfo Lol, it's funny I'm so use to 2 strokes and riding on the pipe but I feel like I'm so much faster using the torque and being lower in the revs.

• Like 1

Wfo Lol, it's funny I'm so use to 2 strokes and riding on the pipe but I feel like I'm so much faster using the torque and being lower in the revs.

Watch some helmet cam vids from Graham Jarvis. The guy is amazing and it seems like he rarely ever revs the bike. More power output doesn't always mean faster speeds, especially in the woods.

• Like 1

Watch some helmet cam vids from Graham Jarvis. The guy is amazing and it seems like he rarely ever revs the bike. More power output doesn't always mean faster speeds, especially in the woods.

He is by far one of the smoothest riders. He seems like he very rarely breaks traction.

I ride a KTM 450XCF on New England single track. I totally agree with you about the smooth steady power. Try a G2 Ergo throttle cam to smooth it out even more. I run 13/53 and i shift much less than I did with 13/50. I was going to stop at 52 but those PD sprockets are so cheap I said screw it. Glad I did.

you have a completely different transmission than the OP does, and i cannot believe you run a 53 on the rear. i have a 350xcf and i cannot even run a 51 in the rear, it makes 1st gear just about unusable with how much engine braking it yields. 

Edited by DRS

I think the hardest thing for me to get use to is the xc-w transmission.

any update on your .48  /  8.0  suspension set up, made any adjustment after initial install?

Everything's actually going really well all of the clickers are set on the sport settings and really haven't messed with since. I also added a steering stabilizer which was a huge help. Slavens racing is great and id recommend them to anyone. Also if you don't get the correct sag measurements after install they'll swap them out with you for free.

• Like 1

G2, Rekluse and tuned suspension for me......

Edited by 2012 450 xc-w

Everything's actually going really well all of the clickers are set on the sport settings and really haven't messed with since. I also added a steering stabilizer which was a huge help. Slavens racing is great and id recommend them to anyone. Also if you don't get the correct sag measurements after install they'll swap them out with you for free.

I don't think Jeff is doing suspension work anymore, just motor work.

you have a completely different transmission than the OP does, and i cannot believe you run a 53 on the rear. i have a 350xcf and i cannot even run a 51 in the rear, it makes 1st gear just about unusable with how much engine braking it yields.

I take off in 2nd. Gets me into 3rd where I'd be between 2nd and 3rd with the 50. Works for me so it stays.

• Like 1