Need help on how to extract broken bolt

I accidentally tightened a bolt way to much on the thing that holds my forks on and a few days later it snapped and i have no clue on how to take it out a cant get at it on any ends just in the middle   

Drill it out ?

I usually use a steel pick and try to wiggle it out. If that doesn't work use a sharp punch and try to make a small punch mark and try to tap it out counterclockwise. If that doesn't work use an easy out.

I've had bad luck with easy outs. I would make a punch mark and try to tap it out. Use heat and pb blaster.

I've had bad luck with easy outs. I would make a punch mark and try to tap it out. Use heat and pb blaster.

Try a straight fluted easy out I've had much better luck with them than the spiral fluted

They also sell reverse drill bits which may even unscrew it.

How far below the surface is it broken. If it is protruding a little, and none of these other suggestions work... weld a nut to it and undo it.

If it is in an open-ended hole (on triple tree), a regular drill might get it to screw out the other end.  Maybe heat the clamp too.

Edit - this won't work unless it's broken on the threaded part of bolt.

Edited by Still Bill

drill a hole into the center of the broken stud 3 or 4 mm, insert a reverse threaded easy out. done. 

Left handed drill bit

How about a picture? Thatll help us figure out the best method.

had really good luck with easy outs personally. buy a quality version of the bit they cal for when you buy the easy out, Don't try drilling a bolt with your $9.99 harbor freight set.

I think im gonna buy an easy out kit but here are some pictures to see if there are any other ways i can get it out, sorry about the quality i tryed taking pictures on my phone but the were way to big on here.

I think im gonna buy an easy out kit but here are some pictures to see if there are any other ways i can get it out, sorry about the quality i tryed taking pictures on my phone but the were way to big on here.

apparently the pictures didnt show so i think im just gonna buy an easy out

I'm pulled plenty of broken bolts out wirh easy out/left handed bits. Drill a small pilot hole in the broken bolt, then insert the left hand bit and it'll bite and back it out.

A bolt that broke going in comes out easier than a bolt that broke coming out. Use some penetrating oil, let it sit, use a center punch to keep your bit centered when drilling. Do not attempt this without a way to secure the fork from moving. A broken drill but ain't nothing nice to grind out of a small hole.

- old machinist