Sign in to follow this  

Need help on how to extract broken bolt

I accidentally tightened a bolt way to much on the thing that holds my forks on and a few days later it snapped and i have no clue on how to take it out a cant get at it on any ends just in the middle   

I've had bad luck with easy outs. I would make a punch mark and try to tap it out. Use heat and pb blaster.

I've had bad luck with easy outs. I would make a punch mark and try to tap it out. Use heat and pb blaster.

Try a straight fluted easy out I've had much better luck with them than the spiral fluted

• Like 2

How far below the surface is it broken. If it is protruding a little, and none of these other suggestions work... weld a nut to it and undo it.

• Like 1

If it is in an open-ended hole (on triple tree), a regular drill might get it to screw out the other end.  Maybe heat the clamp too.

Edit - this won't work unless it's broken on the threaded part of bolt.

Edited by Still Bill

drill a hole into the center of the broken stud 3 or 4 mm, insert a reverse threaded easy out. done. 

• Like 1

I think im gonna buy an easy out kit but here are some pictures to see if there are any other ways i can get it out, sorry about the quality i tryed taking pictures on my phone but the were way to big on here.

I think im gonna buy an easy out kit but here are some pictures to see if there are any other ways i can get it out, sorry about the quality i tryed taking pictures on my phone but the were way to big on here.

apparently the pictures didnt show so i think im just gonna buy an easy out

I'm pulled plenty of broken bolts out wirh easy out/left handed bits. Drill a small pilot hole in the broken bolt, then insert the left hand bit and it'll bite and back it out.

A bolt that broke going in comes out easier than a bolt that broke coming out. Use some penetrating oil, let it sit, use a center punch to keep your bit centered when drilling. Do not attempt this without a way to secure the fork from moving. A broken drill but ain't nothing nice to grind out of a small hole.

- old machinist

• Like 2