Sign in to follow this  

Racing a drz125l?

I really want to get into racing and I'm currently looking for a cr125 but there's a race in two weeks and I was wondering if I could possibly race my drz125l in the 85c class. I'm 15 btw and the bike would be allowed to race but I'm afraid the 85's are gonna be really hard to keep up with. There's no big jumps on the track so I don't think that will be a problem. How do you think I'll do?

Not well, don't do it. 85's have 25 horsepower on the DRZ. Not to mention the suspension is far too soft and will get yourself hurt riding aggressively.

Go for it, there is a local kid on an old XR600 smoking almost everyone in the intermediate class here.

Can't hurt to get your feet wet.

Well we don't even know what kind of racing he is talking about, what class, etc.

if the rules allow him to race and he wants to try it than go for it.

Faster racers will always get around slower riders if they have any skill. If he wants to roll jumps who cares...

Nothing gets you prepared for racing better than getting out there and doing it.

I thought you were a pro rider?

Well we don't even know what kind of racing he is talking about, what class, etc.

if the rules allow him to race and he wants to try it than go for it.

Faster racers will always get around slower riders if they have any skill. If he wants to roll jumps who cares...

Nothing gets you prepared for racing better than getting out there and doing it.

I thought you were a pro rider?

You have to remember this is a younger kids class, a lot of 85/supermini riders are still learning a lot about racing and how the track works too. It only takes one slip up from a fast kid to send buddy to the hospital. 

Nothing gets you prepared for racing better than the proper equipment for the job. He can wait a few weeks until he has a bike that is capable of the track. 

I may be a pro class rider, but that doesn't mean I was never a beginner. I've seen far too many kids get hurt riding over their head and this is making my spider sense tingle.

I will be racing in the 85 novice class. I've ridden on an MX track before and I felt I did alright and I even cleared a small double and a couple table tops. I will be racing on a track that is way smaller than the track I rode on before. The track is Canaan lions MX. If you want to look it up there's a few videos of the 85 novice class. Its a small track with a couple table tops and no doubles. There's hardly any elevation change ether. The track I practiced on was bigger. It had 2 table tops, 2 huge table tops, 3-4 doubles, and one that could be tripled. It also had a sand trap.

After watching the video, the track doesn't look to difficult for your DRZ, but as others have said, the 85's are going to run circles around you. If your main goal is to gain experience, I say go for it. If you are looking to win, don't bother. 

There's a practice day the day before the race so I'm gonna go and try to get a hang of the track. Then I'll be more prepared for race day. My drz has a pipe and airbox mods along with jetting so it has a little bit more pull but the 85s are still gonna be way more powerful. I'm sure the 85s are gonna be way ahead of me on the start and some straights but in the corners they looked really slow. Do you think I'll be able to pass anyone or am I gonna be dead last? On the track that I practiced on I passed this really slow kid on a crf150r but everyone else was fast.

There's a practice day the day before the race so I'm gonna go and try to get a hang of the track. Then I'll be more prepared for race day. My drz has a pipe and airbox mods along with jetting so it has a little bit more pull but the 85s are still gonna be way more powerful. I'm sure the 85s are gonna be way ahead of me on the start and some straights but in the corners they looked really slow. Do you think I'll be able to pass anyone or am I gonna be dead last? On the track that I practiced on I passed this really slow kid on a crf150r but everyone else was fast.

Just go race and have fun, race seat time is good.

Good luck man and don't worry where you finish for now.

• Like 2

No problem racing that. I've seen people race much worse. If the other kids are faster, you won't have to worry about them. Don't worry about getting a trophy. You can get those for $2 at a thrift store. Go race to ride and have fun.

• Like 1

Yeah it's not the most aggressive track lol. The track I practiced at was way more aggressive.

Do it. First race, bike matters little. Plan on finishing dead last and just use the experience as one to get a feel for what it is like to be on the track competing. You may not be the slowest out there. Bottom line is to have fun. Plenty of people who race have all the best equipment and they still stink.

There was a video posted a few years back, a pro rider was on a pee wee 50 and racing the 250 B class. He smoked them.

• Like 2

Don't do it.. I had one when I was 9 and it was a slug. Sell it and buy a 85.

Edit: William has a good point and you should take his advice but once you find your bike is holding you back take my advice haha

Edited by pbrthrottle

Its not a complete slug. It has a PC pipe, air box mods, a filter and its jetted so its not too bad. Those guys in the videos were really slow and I feel I could cut by a lot of them. I just sold my cr80 and I'm too big to get another. I have the money for a 125 I'm just waiting for the right one to come around. This will only be for 1 or 2 races.