Sign in to follow this  

2005 450 SX Frame Replacement Options ?

I'm wondering what options there are for replacing the frame in a 2005 450 SX. I'd like to put an EXC frame on the bike.

Could I put a 2005 EXC frame on there and bolt everything back up just fine? Thanks for the input!

1. Why

2. Why the

3. Why the hell

I do belive the frames are exactly the same

1. The same

2. The same reason as

3. The same reason as typing thusly ...

it just seemed fun to see if I could get some question marks to cross the screen =)

Are the swing arm and suspension the same between the Super Cross and Enduro bikes then? That's pretty odd. I never understood why KTM doesn't have linkage on their SX bikes, especially considering  their premium price. 

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm wondering about one more clarification / elaboration. Will the 2004 through 2006 EXC frames be the same? Which years of EXC frames can I bolt up to my 2005 SX? 

Thanks so much for your knowledge and help!

1. The same

2. The same reason as

3. The same reason as typing thusly ...

it just seemed fun to see if I could get some question marks to cross the screen =)

Are the swing arm and suspension the same between the Super Cross and Enduro bikes then? That's pretty odd. I never understood why KTM doesn't have linkage on their SX bikes, especially considering  their premium price. 

Thanks for the feedback!

You must  be re-reading the old magazines in your bathroom....The SX series has had linkage for several years.

You must  be re-reading the old magazines in your bathroom....The SX series has had linkage for several years.

And yet, we're talking about a model 2005 ... 

Exactly. You are all over the map.

DONE

I see how you've managed to accumulate 29,167 posts. 

I'm glad you're done. Go outside and practice communication skills in real life!

I'll give it a try. I think the RFS EXC, MXC and SX all shared the same frame and swingarm. The differences were in how they were equipped and state of tune, both suspension and engine.

The only frame swap that makes sense is to a 07 EXC with title as they were 50 state street legal but then CA also tracks engine numbers so even that would be a problem there.

There were some changes year to year with newer being better but the most common swap was to fit an RFS engine into a post RFS chassis. For a while there was even an outfit that sold the necessary parts for a DIY or would mod the frame for you. Not an easy mod project.

Bruce

• Like 1

I'll give it a try. I think the RFS EXC, MXC and SX all shared the same frame and swingarm. The differences were in how they were equipped and state of tune, both suspension and engine.

The only frame swap that makes sense is to a 07 EXC with title as they were 50 state street legal but then CA also tracks engine numbers so even that would be a problem there.

There were some changes year to year with newer being better but the most common swap was to fit an RFS engine into a post RFS chassis. For a while there was even an outfit that sold the necessary parts for a DIY or would mod the frame for you. Not an easy mod project.

Bruce

Hey thanks for the reply, Bruce! Do you happen to know which years of EXC are a direct fit? It sounds like maybe 05 to 07 EXC frame can be swapped straight across for the SX? 

Good guess, I am going to make this bike streetable, as a SuMo. I'd much prefer to just buy an EXC frame off ebay and swap straight across than to "combine" the two frames (aka chop the neck off of the EXC and TIG it onto the SX ... too many angles for me to want to take that route.

As for the how .. if I were to get a CA plate for the bike, I'd hypothetically do it like this: Get a replacement frame from Ebay, and title the frame via the state of Vermont. Then get a new "motorcycle" title for the bike in Utah (I have residence in Utah as well, otherwise I'd use South Dakota for this step), where I will also Utah Highway Patrol swap the EXC engine number listed on the title for the SX engine number. Then, since the bike isn't branded as a Closed Course bike (3 or C in the 8th position of the VIN) I'd transfer the title to the state of California, using a couple of exemptions for used vehicles (over 7500 miles) and new resident to the state exemption.

All of the above is technically above the board, the same way the corporations and Mitt Romney exploit tax loopholes for their exemptions. If a Presidential Nominee exploits loopholes that are worth hundreds of Millions I really wouldn't feel to bad about dodging the California ARB. =)

Although that's a bit of work, it's really no more than 3 hours and $400. If you get a steal of a deal on a bike it might just be worth the 3 hour process.

Thanks again for your help! 

Edited by 1motard

No but you can look through this if the link works;

http://ktmtalk.com/showthread.php?374972-Evolution-of-the-RFS-motor-and-chassis-(Links-to-threads)

Should work for a 07 EXC, not sure your plan will work with other years EXC as most CA DMV & State Patrol almost always want to see the road worthy emissions sticker which the others lack.

Bruce 

No but you can look through this if the link works;

http://ktmtalk.com/showthread.php?374972-Evolution-of-the-RFS-motor-and-chassis-(Links-to-threads)

Should work for a 07 EXC, not sure your plan will work with other years EXC as most CA DMV & State Patrol almost always want to see the road worthy emissions sticker which the others lack.

Bruce 

No need for the "on highway" emission sticker if the recently purchased vehicle is used, with more than 7500 miles, or when moving from another state to the state of CA.

I qualify for both exemptions.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm%3Apath%3A%2Fdmv_content_en%2Fdmv%2Fpubs%2Fbrochures%2Ffast_facts%2Fffvr29

Thank you again for your help =)

I know of the exemptions but it reads:

Exemptions

There are a few exemptions to the law. As a California resident, you may be able to register a 49-state vehicle if it was:

Trouble is the 2000-2006 KTM EXCs were not 49 state legal and lack the federal 49 state emissions sticker. I have imported several (various makes and models) from out of state and in all cases they asked to see the federal highway legal sticker.

Perhaps you know a different way or will get lucky but I don't believe any of the other options are 100% reliable. Best of luck with the project and hope you can prove me wrong.

BRUCE

Edited by BDM