Starting FI CRF450R vs 450x w/magic button

I'm working on a 04 crf450r and I think I'm down to the last problem (no spark - bought a complete electrical system) and I'll finally get to compare it to the yz426 I've been riding.  Folks say the crf is much better, but who knows.  I'm 54 and I've established I like riding dirt bikes, but don't want lots of hassle getting them started.  I can start the yz reasonably well - autodecomp cam and use the decomp lever for a few kicks and it fires right up, but I'd like something a little easier to start.

Of course the magic button is nice, but it sounds like I loose most of the mx capability going to the 450x (seems directed at the street).  KTM's are nice but I don't think I'd have as big of a pile of used parts to choose from if something breaks (might just be my bias thinking ktm, husky, etc are low production, rare bikes - maybe not anymore).  

So the question is (after all that) does the fuel injection pretty much cure startability issues?  From road bike experience it makes a world of difference especially with some aftermarket tuning (RC51 runs like an electric motor with the dynojet kit).  

thanks

My '14 starts from cold, 2nd kick every time. Once its warm, its a 1st kick every time starter...as long as you give it a good full kick that is. Easiest bike Ive owned to start. 

Proper carb maintenence and set up is all it takes, assuming the valves are good and clearance is good.

My '08 starts in two kicks every time.

If  that '04 is running the stock head/valves, there's your problem... leaking intakes.

Yep ive had a lot of crf250 & crf450's and when properly maintained and tuned they have all started easily with 1-3 kicks.

I'm 53 and knowing that the 2017 CRF450R will likely have an electric start, I'll keep my '03 til then. If you need something now, if it were me, I'd go 450X and get the suspension revalved/re-sprung. Easy enough to change to R plastic and a Cycra Stadium plate.

Carb or fi if their setup right start the same ,at least all mine have 1-2 kicks,maybe 3 if cold. 05crf, 3 yz 426,2 yz250f, 4 yz450 04-10, 2(13) crfs 1(15) crf.

as long as

1 the valves are good, and properly shimmed

2 the carburetor is good

this includes:

complete dissasembly (remove all jets, and the air screw) blow through everything both ways, all passages with brake clean and compressed air, dont forget the accelerator pump, check ball, leak jet, and nozzle

replace the vac release plate seal, get one for a yamaha 450f, its the same part but they sell it cheaper than anyone else, 8$ vs like 20$

get a honda accelerator pump diaphram

either use a single strand of electrical wire and clean your pilot jet with it, or get a new pilot jet,

look up how to setup your fuel screw correctly,

it will fire right up, no issues........

Its all about staying on top of your equipment and knowing when to move on ,so the wrench time doesnt cover up the ride time.

Its all about staying on top of your equipment and knowing when to move on ,so the wrench time doesnt cover up the ride time.

yes my efi has never had a plugged main jet....  :cheers:

but you know, that carburetor gets problems from sitting

if the bike was ridden 2x a week, it could go a long time without needing a carb rebuild  :ride:

talk about wrench time vs ride time, my brothers speedway sprint gets about 10x more wrench time than run time.... but that's the way it goes... and if you think a fcr is annoying on gas, try one on methanol.... i take it apart once a week....

* Yeah, no one has.....you don't every plug a main jet....but EFI needs maintenece too. The injectors need cleaning, the filters, the pump filter, the sensors in the TB get glazed or over heated.....it's just a different kind of maintenence.

but you know, that carburetor gets problems from sitting  So does EFI. Go to the jetting thread and read about 'my bike won't start' threads by the dozens. The holes in the injector nozzles are smaller than those in a pilot jet.....

if the bike was ridden 2x a week, it could go a long time without needing a carb rebuild  :ride:....except for the wear components. There are (4) components that have to be replaced every year, or the 'bike starts to run bad'.....

talk about wrench time vs ride time, my brothers speedway sprint gets about 10x more wrench time than run time.... but that's the way it goes... and if you think a fcr is annoying on gas, try one on methanol.... i take it apart once a week....

You have to rinse out the ethanol with a light solvent like Laquer Thinner, immeditely after the run is over.......anthing stronger causes other problems....and then you won't wick in the moisture that Ethanol will, and cause corrosion.

* Yeah, no one has.....you don't every plug a main jet....but EFI needs maintenece too. The injectors need cleaning, the filters, the pump filter, the sensors in the TB get glazed or over heated.....it's just a different kind of maintenence.

You know I meant to say pilot jet

but you know, that carburetor gets problems from sitting  So does EFI. Go to the jetting thread and read about 'my bike won't start' threads by the dozens. The holes in the injector nozzles are smaller than those in a pilot jet.....

if the bike was ridden 2x a week, it could go a long time without needing a carb rebuild  :ride:....except for the wear components. There are (4) components that have to be replaced every year, or the 'bike starts to run bad'.....

Meh

You have to rinse out the ethanol with a light solvent like Laquer Thinner, immeditely after the run is over.......anthing stronger causes other problems....and then you won't wick in the moisture that Ethanol will, and cause corrosion.

Yeah methanol....

Eh we just dump it after the race and the next day I dissassemble it.

We used to use wd40 in the old dellorto but it had an almost no orings

I don't want to get wd on my rubber, the vac seal, my modified float needle, or the accelerator pump diaphragm

It really has to come apart.