Dual Sport Type Helmets

A riding buddy and I both have it.

It's a good bang for the buck helmet.

But keep in mind, I've only tried the more expensive helmets in store, not on rides.

I've never ridden with any helmet besides my $80 Bilt that feels like it lets in more wind noise than anything I can imagine. I'm sure any helmet will feel like an upgrade compared to it

Hah, well...

The AFX is supposed to have way more ventilation than it's afx39 predecessor

It's meant to have more flow (therefore probably more wind noise) for cooling

I had a AFX-41. Did a 15' flying lesson planting it face first. No concussion but I obliterated the helmet. 

All in all its a good helmet, Noisy as hell at higher speeds. 

http://i.imgur.com/ovCtYE2.jpg

My face post crash. Goggles busted the bridge of my nose. front of the helmet caved hard enough to stab me just below my nose and puncture through into my mouth

I've since replaced with an Icon variant. Significantly quieter, and the fits a bit tight.

Edited by albani
  • Like 1

Hey guys, I was wondering what types of helmets everyone's using when riding their Z. I have a Bilt (CycleGear brand) that I bought when I first got the bike just so that I could start riding immediately. Im not very comfortable with the fit of the helmet and the price I got it for scares me as well! Now I have some funds saved up to buy a new helmet and was wondering if their are any helmet types or brands that you guys would recommend because of price or quality. Thanks!

Any snell or = approved.  On a side note if you're riding off-road with others, you'll wish you had a helmet that accommodates goggles ! 

• Like 1

Check out speed and strength. They are a great brand and good prices. I rock the SS2500 for about 2 years now and It works great and is holding up well. About 175-200 bucks and comes in several colors and patterns!

I just got my Torc T37 in "It hurts your eyes hi-viz yellow", for $35 ($43, with shipping). DOT/ECE approved, in size L to fit my 23" around head (23.25" if I hold my breath and squeeze).

Initial / first ride thoughts: Not bad at all! Fits great, feels decent, finish looks good, overall a nice looking lid. Visor seems well vented, but the helmet its self could use a bit more ventilation. Shield operation is a bit stiff, but it has a finger tab and definite detents. Could use a "vent" position for the shield... a bit of fogging when sitting still. Didn't get much speed testing other than 5th gear on a DRZ400E... maybe 45MPH? Was not noticeably noisy. For the price, I can't see beating it.

I'll probably add some black reflective graphics to tone down the safety yellow a bit and add some night visibility.

Overall, I'm quite happy with it, so far.

I just got my Torc T37 in "It hurts your eyes hi-viz yellow", for $35 ($43, with shipping). DOT/ECE approved, in size L to fit my 23" around head (23.25" if I hold my breath and squeeze).

Initial / first ride thoughts: Not bad at all! Fits great, feels decent, finish looks good, overall a nice looking lid. Visor seems well vented, but the helmet its self could use a bit more ventilation. Shield operation is a bit stiff, but it has a finger tab and definite detents. Could use a "vent" position for the shield... a bit of fogging when sitting still. Didn't get much speed testing other than 5th gear on a DRZ400E... maybe 45MPH? Was not noticeably noisy. For the price, I can't see beating it.

I'll probably add some black reflective graphics to tone down the safety yellow a bit and add some night visibility.

Overall, I'm quite happy with it, so far.

Do you by chance have a picture of the helmet? Right now I'm really leaning toward the AFX FX-41 and getting a tinted visor for it like this ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1440129139.640820.jpg
  • Like 2

Do you by chance have a picture of the helmet? Right now I'm really leaning toward the AFX FX-41 and getting a tinted visor for it like this attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1440129139.640820.jpg

http://ironpony.com/ipd/pi.asp/ImageName/T37_SOLID.JPG/Brand/Torc-Helmets/c2/Helmets/c3/Dual-Sport-Helmets/c1/Street-Products/KitKey2/T37-Dual-Sport-Helmet

I just noticed that the face shield is not of the quick change variety. The visor screws go through the shield and hold it all together. Not a big deal for me, but worth noting.

T37-2-3T.jpg?1385554540

i am running the AGV AX-8 DS EVO...  i love this helmet... i run it with 100% goggles when the temps are 50* and above... i run up into the triple digits in this helmet and look back with no head whip...  i had the trekker for 16,000 miles before this helmet... this is a much better helmet and quieter also...  the trekker is a rounder head shape... also the AFX helmet parts fits the trekker also (winter accessories)  

all in all, the AGV has been my favorite helmet to date...  i like that it kind of matches my bike also...  i know, i know, i am a power ranger then... lol

hell, i go with my gut!!!  i'm Italian, the helmet was made in Italy...  the helmet cost me $420, ironically, i am a 420 kind of guy...  so all the signs were there...  i had to have it...  lol

agvax8_dsevogt_helmet_white_gunmetal_blu

• Like 2

http://ironpony.com/ipd/pi.asp/ImageName/T37_SOLID.JPG/Brand/Torc-Helmets/c2/Helmets/c3/Dual-Sport-Helmets/c1/Street-Products/KitKey2/T37-Dual-Sport-Helmet

I just noticed that the face shield is not of the quick change variety. The visor screws go through the shield and hold it all together. Not a big deal for me, but worth noting.

T37-2-3T.jpg?1385554540

That's the afx 39

The 41 shield and peak are separate

Yeah $420 is out of my price range lol, I'm gonna be getting some Supermoto wheels soon so most of money is going to be going towards thoughs. I have a Fly Kinetic MX helmet that I used a Dremel on the visor to get some better air flow for it, I'm using that as my road helmet until I order a true dual sport helmet ha

• Like 2

Yeah $420 is out of my price range lol, I'm gonna be getting some Supermoto wheels soon so most of money is going to be going towards thoughs. I have a Fly Kinetic MX helmet that I used a Dremel on the visor to get some better air flow for it, I'm using that as my road helmet until I order a true dual sport helmet ha

believe me, it was not easy paying that money... i did not get to try the bell MX9 which i wish i did, but i tried so many helmets on, icon variant was a close second, but the lower padding held against my throat so much... kind of like when you hold someone's throat to cut off the blood going to their brain, so they pass out... yeah, loads of fun. lol  but thats the same feeling i got from the icon...  and believe me, i wanted to love the icon helmet...  but the goggles were not the best fitting in the eye port, and not being able to run it without the sun visor on it sucks...  i like that i can take off the sun visor on my helmet, and it looks bad ass still...  and the eye port on the AGV handles a good size goggle like the 100%...

i'd like to add, the icon i received had a few manufacture flaws...  glue showing, stuff didn't line up and were far from symmetrical... granted, this is just one helmet out of a million they have sold...  things happen...  but for $400 i wanted close to perfect as possible...  

i don't have a bunch of money, but i used what i made on selling my crf250l towards new and better gear...  i am a tusk and fly guy all the way!!! lol  so i'd say if the price is whats getting you (i understand), the fly trekker is an awesome helmet...  i put 16,000 miles in 2 years on it... really don't have a complaint about it. and for under $130, you cant go wrong...  just remember, its round, so if you are an oval head shape, you are gonna have to go up in size most likely... i did... 

just my $.02...  

believe me, it was not easy paying that money... i did not get to try the bell MX9 which i wish i did, but i tried so many helmets on, icon variant was a close second, but the lower padding held against my throat so much... kind of like when you hold someone's throat to cut off the blood going to their brain, so they pass out... yeah, loads of fun. lol but thats the same feeling i got from the icon... and believe me, i wanted to love the icon helmet... but the goggles were not the best fitting in the eye port, and not being able to run it without the sun visor on it sucks... i like that i can take off the sun visor on my helmet, and it looks bad ass still... and the eye port on the AGV handles a good size goggle like the 100%...

i'd like to add, the icon i received had a few manufacture flaws... glue showing, stuff didn't line up and were far from symmetrical... granted, this is just one helmet out of a million they have sold... things happen... but for $400 i wanted close to perfect as possible...

i don't have a bunch of money, but i used what i made on selling my crf250l towards new and better gear... i am a tusk and fly guy all the way!!! lol so i'd say if the price is whats getting you (i understand), the fly trekker is an awesome helmet... i put 16,000 miles in 2 years on it... really don't have a complaint about it. and for under $130, you cant go wrong... just remember, its round, so if you are an oval head shape, you are gonna have to go up in size most likely... i did...

just my $.02...

All of this is actually super helpful. The only ones I've been able to try on are the Variant and a Speed and Strength one and wasn't too fond of the feel of the Variant and I didn't like the looks of the speed and strength. My local shops don't carry the Fly trekker. I really like the looks of both the Fly and the AFX FX-41. I've been looking up reviews of both and feel like either one I will be satisfied with. Now just comes pulling the trigger lol usually the hardest part for me.
  • Like 2

hell, i go with my gut!!! i'm Italian, the helmet was made in Italy... the helmet cost me $420, ironically, i am a 420 kind of guy... so all the signs were there... i had to have it... lol

Lmao!!! I literally almost spit my brisk iced tea all over my tool box...

Me too. Minus the Italian part...

• Like 3

Hah, well...

The AFX is supposed to have way more ventilation than it's afx39 predecessor

It's meant to have more flow (therefore probably more wind noise) for cooling

I had the 39 and the visor seal downright sucked, it would literally open when checking my blind spot at higher speeds and it let in a ton of wind noise.

I like the new design of the 41 visor it looks like a better seal, I may have to pick one up.