Dual Sport Type Helmets

I'm happy with the LS2 mx453 I bought. The cheek pads were really snug at first but after a week it fit great. I installed a new dark smoke shield the other night, just gotta git the bike together to give it a try.

1440266201917.jpg

• Like 1

Don't forget:

Fly Trekker

MSR Expedition

AFX FX-39

Are all essentially the same helmet

The Speed & Strength MX453 and the LS2 SS2500 are also the same as each other.

the afx chin skirt and breath blocker fit the trekker....  makes winter riding sooooooooo much better...  also the shields all fit... even the flip down external sun visor...  its ok...  makes the vision a little distorted...  but when you really need it, it helps...  i only used it a few times during winter months... i never tried it with the visor off though....   :thinking:

Edited by eyeopenher

any advice on sizing, and where I can pick one up? I know revzilla has em but I would like to get it at a decent price, I've looked around but no one carries agv locally here in austin tx..

i bought mine from motorcycle-superstore...  i usually shop at motorcycle superstore, revzilla, or rockmoutainatvmc...  rockymountain did not give you any points for buying it...  motorcycle superstore worked out to be the best return on the purchase because i already had $60 worth of credit with them...   as far as i have seen, besides motorcycle superstore, there is nothing really cheaper...  some things here or there...  but they seem to beat them all...  every now and then, motorcycle closeouts has amazing deals...  i got a jacket for almost half price though them...  just have to look at their site regularly...  

sizing wise, its intermediate oval... so its does not pinch my head at all... i bought an XL because i always wear a sweat beanie... in the colder months i wear an alpinestar bacalava (love it by the way)...  i bought some LARGE cheek pads in case during the summer i needed to tighten it up some due to no more winter head wear...  but it seems to be fine...  i would wear a large if it wasn't for my glorious doo doo brown (with quite a bit of grey!) locks...   hahahaha 

I wear my full mx on my dirt bike and on my dual sport. But starting not to like wearing it on my dual sport just because bugs can get into it and fly around by my ear. Nothing sucks worse then having a fly try to crawl into my ear while going 55. Seems to happen more when riding my dual sport on roads than riding woods on my dirt bike.

• Like 1

i bought mine from motorcycle-superstore... i usually shop at motorcycle superstore, revzilla, or rockmoutainatvmc... rockymountain did not give you any points for buying it... motorcycle superstore worked out to be the best return on the purchase because i already had $60 worth of credit with them... as far as i have seen, besides motorcycle superstore, there is nothing really cheaper... some things here or there... but they seem to beat them all... every now and then, motorcycle closeouts has amazing deals... i got a jacket for almost half price though them... just have to look at their site regularly...

sizing wise, its intermediate oval... so its does not pinch my head at all... i bought an XL because i always wear a sweat beanie... in the colder months i wear an alpinestar bacalava (love it by the way)... i bought some LARGE cheek pads in case during the summer i needed to tighten it up some due to no more winter head wear... but it seems to be fine... i would wear a large if it wasn't for my glorious doo doo brown (with quite a bit of grey!) locks... hahahaha

Great to know! Thanks for the heads up :)

• Like 1

Wow, great deal on the Fly Trekker. I'd pull the trigger for sure if I was in the US. I think the Hi-Viz with a blue mirror shield would look pretty sick.

Does anyone have any experience with the Icon Airmada? I'm not really sure what the drawbacks might be of using a street bike helmet for dual-sport rides. It seems to have decent ventilation, good reviews, and some nice graphic options from the factory.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any experience with the Icon Airmada? I'm not really sure what the drawbacks might be of using a street bike helmet for dual-sport rides. It seems to have decent ventilation, good reviews, and some nice graphic options from the factory.

I have an Icon Airmada. I have yet to ride in it as I'm still building up my bike. The one thing I can recommend is trying it on before purchase. The Airmada is a long oval helmet but is "Race fit". The helmet fits quite snug and is a bit more difficult on and off. The fit is quite different from many other long oval helmets.

• Like 1

AFX is rebranded for Fly.  Talked with AFX at Long Beach Bike Show.

BILT Explorer, bill will still weather vane but not as bad as AFX-39.  You can look over your shoulder without visiting the luggage rack.  Both are OK, AFX is more for Charlie Brown head riders.

I used an AFX-39 for a bit and it worked well except it didn't have ear pockets for in helmet speakers and the visor wasn't really corrected for distortion.  Picked up a Nexx XD-1 a few months ago and really like it.  The Nexx isn't Shoei quality though.  Weather seal is OK, padding is average to above average, size runs a little smaller than the norm.  Over-all quality is "meh" but the helmet fits well and looks cool.  Unfortunately I can't say whether it'll fit nice goggles or not.  I require glasses (contacts bother my eyes) and haven't found goggles that fit over my lenses yet.

• Like 1

I used an AFX-39 for a bit and it worked well except it didn't have ear pockets for in helmet speakers and the visor wasn't really corrected for distortion. Picked up a Nexx XD-1 a few months ago and really like it. The Nexx isn't Shoei quality though. Weather seal is OK, padding is average to above average, size runs a little smaller than the norm. Over-all quality is "meh" but the helmet fits well and looks cool. Unfortunately I can't say whether it'll fit nice goggles or not. I require glasses (contacts bother my eyes) and haven't found goggles that fit over my lenses yet.

Just a tip for ppl that like those ear pockets for the little speakers...... My hubby crashed a low speed into a guard rail and his little speaker in his helmet(we used the scala helmet communicators) cut about half his eat off.... It was able to be sewn back on but just know in the event of an off this can happen.... His was attached good too but that didn't help. Edited by DRZadvKat01

Just a tip for ppl that like those ear pockets for the little speakers...... My hubby crashed a low speed into a guard rail and his little speaker in his helmet(we used the scala helmet communicators) cut about half his eat off.... It was able to be sewn back on but just know in the event of an off this can happen.... His was attached good too but that didn't help.

Wow, that's crazy!

Thanks for the heads up

Hmmm, do pockets prevent this?

Edited by Alx.thumpsit
  • Like 1

Wow, that's crazy!

Thanks for the heads up

Hmmm, do pockets prevent this?

No IMO... His was in a pocket. But it was an older scala.... It was about about an inch n a half and maybe 14 inch wide. They may be different now but keep an eye on them!