Dual Sport Type Helmets

I have a full mx helm (DOT approved) but my lady just picked up a adv style helmet and i think ill be picking up one of those. I think the visor will come in very handy when the seasons start changing. Even with goggles and a gaiter i still get a lot of wind chill

• Like 1

I have a full mx helm (DOT approved) but my lady just picked up a adv style helmet and i think ill be picking up one of those. I think the visor will come in very handy when the seasons start changing. Even with goggles and a gaiter i still get a lot of wind chill

i always choose the goggles when temperatures permit...  the visor extends my riding season for sure and makes riding a pleasure again... instead of saying to myself,"i'm freezing, but saving money on gas!" the WHOLE ride...

I had a AFX-41. Did a 15' flying lesson planting it face first. No concussion but I obliterated the helmet.

All in all its a good helmet, Noisy as hell at higher speeds.

http://i.imgur.com/ovCtYE2.jpg

My face post crash. Goggles busted the bridge of my nose. front of the helmet caved hard enough to stab me just below my nose and puncture through into my mouth

I've since replaced with an Icon variant. Significantly quieter, and the fits a bit tight.

That scares the sh#t outta me.. I ate it on a 80fter this year hit my face hard enough to ask the same 3 or 4 questions for about 9 hours with no memory of it. Bell moto8. Barely cracked around the mouthpiece and where the mouthpiece meets the helmet. I just bought an afx.. Think I'm gonna sell it. Sounds dangerous. It probably would've killed me. I don't want to know what it would do at highway speeds. Just gonna sac it up and get a nexx. My wife was pissed I spent 450 on boots then cheaped out on my helmet anyway.

That scares the sh#t outta me.. I ate it on a 80fter this year hit my face hard enough to ask the same 3 or 4 questions for about 9 hours with no memory of it. Bell moto8. Barely cracked around the mouthpiece and where the mouthpiece meets the helmet. I just bought an afx.. Think I'm gonna sell it. Sounds dangerous. It probably would've killed me. I don't want to know what it would do at highway speeds. Just gonna sac it up and get a nexx. My wife was pissed I spent 450 on boots then cheaped out on my helmet anyway.

Yeah she should be!.... You had a concussion....

Edit... I meant that in a nice way.... Get a good helmet and protect your head!!

Edited by DRZadvKat01
  • Like 1

I hate to be "that guy" but helmets are not an item to skimp on. Buy the best helmet you can possibly afford, even if you have to save up for it. I have a good friend that was in a quad accident wearing a $100 helmet and the quad rolled over him. His budget helmet didn't do its job. He suffered a severe head injury which left him in a coma for 4 months. Once out of the coma he lost about 50% mobility to one side of his body and has the mental capacity of an 8 year old. We were both in our mid 20's at the time and are in our late 30's now. He is no longer able to work or take care of himself. He will require someone to take care of him for the rest of his life. This incident really took a tole on our group of friends and mostly his family. Our group raced MX at fairly high level and most of us have taken much harder hits wearing better helmets. I truly believe that if he was wearing a top of the line helmet his injury could have been avoided.

• Like 4

Well I completely forgot about this thread even though I started it, I thought I should let you guys know what I decided to go with. I got the AFX-FX41 with the tinted visor then run 100% strata clear lens goggles underneath it. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1449084702.324288.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1449084734.322132.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1449084759.601691.jpg

I also have the AFX 41 and I like it. Why the googles under the visor, though?

I tend to not stay on roads when I'm out riding and I've grown up on the dirt so goggles feel natural to me and I don't like having the tinted visor down when going off road as I tend to have the feeling of less visibility. And I'm hoping Santa brings me a Sena for my helmet so I stop shredding and wasting money on regular ear buds!

A couple months ago I was looking for a DS helmet.  I use my bike for errands and my off road helmet was kind of a pain because I always had to have eye protection, goggles or glasses- just one more thing to fumble around with at stops.... or realize you forgot half way down he block.

After trying on brands and comparing side by side, it was obvious the Shoei was superior in quality to the other brands.  Obviously the price was a sticking point, but I waited until a sale and got a hornet x-2 out the door for a little less than $500.  It's a lot of money, but I'm very happy with the helmet.  A lot less drag than the off road helmet and heavier.

I've never owned a full face helmet, and the only downside I discovered a couple weeks ago after lunch:  I burped and the trapped smell almost made me puke.

• Like 2

video of back when i locked up the rear and started sliding at 70mph(hard to notice on camera), panicked and crashed at 50mph..1st time on this road, riding stupid

i replace my helmets after every good crash... especially if i forget what happened.. luckily 1 week before this crash, i just upgraded all my jacket pads to forcefield CE lvl 2 (elbows,shoulders,back).. had rhok jeans with ce lvl 1's(knees, hips), my hip got bruised, and i was dizzy for a bit.. hjc cl7 snell helmet

Edited by 707LAKE

Just picked up an AFX FX-41. Haven't rode yet, but helmet is really nice running around the house chasing the kids haha

• Like 2

I have a Caberg Tourmax, make sure your jurisdiction allows ECE 22.05 since the Tourmax isn't DOT. Awesome helmet though, it's a modular so the front flips up, you can also take it off if you want. It also has both a beak-visor and an internal drop down tinted visor. Handy for guys like me with glasses.

Edited by atarijedi
  • Like 1

I tend to not stay on roads when I'm out riding and I've grown up on the dirt so goggles feel natural to me and I don't like having the tinted visor down when going off road as I tend to have the feeling of less visibility. And I'm hoping Santa brings me a Sena for my helmet so I stop shredding and wasting money on regular ear buds!

get the sena ! 10c of course best investment !! You also persuaded me to get the fx-41 lol love the helmet so much lol
  • Like 1

I am seriously looking a the MSR Xpedition dual sport helmet. It's DOT and ECE approved and has a flip down visor, excellent airflow, and best of all, $129 at my local MX dealer. I have seen a few reviews online and they are mostly about how is it is a great helmet for the price. I don't care about wind noise as I ride 80/20 dirt. Has anyone here used it?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/msr-xpedition-helmet