My new 85 XR250R .Is it totally F'd?

So I bought this 85 XR250R last weekend. We are talking, he said that he just finished re-building the top end. Replaced the cam chain, adjusted the valves, new gaskets. I was wary but this guy seemed like he knew what he was doing. He even had a honda hat, with a garage full of hondas! Anyways, I start her cold first kick. I'm thinking damn, this is a nice bike. He has got this thing running nice. Cruise around, everything is good.

I take it home, and a few days later I take it out with a friend (85 XR350). I make it 4 miles and the head gasket blows! I take it home, take her apart, and sure enough the front head bolts fingertight, totally stripped out. The other head-bolts seem to be randomly torqued.

I've got the thing apart, and I'm going to helicoil the hole, I feel like this should fix it. Oh and I can't get a hold of the guy that sold it, at all. Won't return my calls. 

My question is.. Should I be worried about any other reasons why this thing blew? Say he put it together right, could it be an overheating issue due to some mechanical mystery? Is everything true? I'm thinking that the bolt was overtightened then under heat it pulled the threads. 

Bolt from stripped head hole.

20150808_185932.jpg

If this is the twin carb 1985 XR250R then it is one of the worse XRs ever. Only thing worse is the 1984 model and the 1984-5 XR200R.  It is very prone to overheating and not enough oil flow. Especially if using standard petroleum oils.  You must run RACING MOTORCYCLE SYNTHETIC OIL. Less oils will fail and break down with the heat.  I really suggest getting a newer model even the 1986 model is way better.

Sorry............................

Based on the threads I read here, the head bolt pull-out issue seems to be fairly common to all the RFVC 250s, 84 thru 95.  I believe that part of the design is common to all.  Heli-coil seems to be the go-to fix.  Don't over-torque, use synthetic and keep the oil fresh.  When setup correctly the twin carbs work fine, but be careful with the secondary carb's hygiene, it doesn't flow fuel as often, and a partly clogged main may be masked up until near WOT causing a lean/hot condition.  Unfortunately, it is a PITA to pull the secondary bowl.

might be other problems with the bike too that he did not tell you about.  On a 30 year old bike, you probably did not pay much more than $750 for it and could probably make back your money parting it out.

If this is the twin carb 1985 XR250R then it is one of the worse XRs ever. Only thing worse is the 1984 model and the 1984-5 XR200R.  It is very prone to overheating and not enough oil flow. Especially if using standard petroleum oils.  You must run RACING MOTORCYCLE SYNTHETIC OIL. Less oils will fail and break down with the heat.  I really suggest getting a newer model even the 1986 model is way better.

Sorry............................

I don't totally disagree but my 1984 Al Baker XR265R us still running strong.  I only used Mobil 1 15w50 and changed it every 200 miles.  The new owner does the same and the engine is still strong.

These engines have a bad reputation due mostly to owner negligence, not engine design.

I don't totally disagree but my 1984 Al Baker XR265R us still running strong.  I only used Mobil 1 15w50 and changed it every 200 miles.  The new owner does the same and the engine is still strong.

These engines have a bad reputation due mostly to owner negligence, not engine design.

I hope he is using Mobil MOTORCYCLE oil and not the car oil. It is far from being the same oil it was in 1985.  It isn't even a Pao but a group III oil now. Also not enough Zinc and Phosphorus.