I want to start racing

Ok so I'm 17 years old and I've only been riding a dirtbike for like a year or so now. I have a kdx 200 and it's an alright bike but it isnt great for jumping and riding on a track. Anyways I'm planning on getting a 250, probably an rmz or a crf and I was wondering how long does it take to be able to race? And are there extreme novice races for kids my age? Or am I too late to race in the novice classes? Thanks!

Get your bike, hit a couple practices on it first, enter the 250 beginners class, it's that easy and never too late or early to start.

Thanks yeah I'm really awful, and I get pretty scared on bigger jumps and doubles. I really haven't hit anything big on my kdx, whats the secret for those kind of jumps?

I'm living proof of that:  I entered my first novice race this year at the age of 46.  I entered on a fairly dated 2007 CRF250R and barely held my own, but it was one of the most fun times I've ever had on a bike.  The riding was fun and I met some really great people.

Thanks yeah I'm really awful, and I get pretty scared on bigger jumps and doubles. I really haven't hit anything big on my kdx, whats the secret for those kind of jumps?

Once you get comfortable on the new 250 they might not look so scary. But all tracks run a c class (novice) although thats probably not a great name for it cause there are a lot of fast guys in there. Some tracks will run a d class tho which is very beginner friendly. You can probably do that now with the kdx if you wanted too. Good luck. Just give some local tracks a call or go on the website and see if they run a beginner class (d).

Ok thanks!

Don't do it. If you're smart, you'll take all that money you'll have spent on bikes, parts and races over the years and invest it. That way you won't be old and broken like the rest of us while you sip your margaritas at your beach house!

Once you get comfortable on the new 250 they might not look so scary. But all tracks run a c class (novice) although thats probably not a great name for it cause there are a lot of fast guys in there. Some tracks will run a d class tho which is very beginner friendly. You can probably do that now with the kdx if you wanted too. Good luck. Just give some local tracks a call or go on the website and see if they run a beginner class (d).

correct... Beginners or D class should mean riders that do not make any of the jumps and slow in general everywhere on the track. Anyone in that class that is above that level will be black flagged at most tracks and should be burned at the stake!!

How long will it take to race ,well how longs the line at sign up.

Just pick the right class,ask at sign up they will guide you along.

The KDX is a great bike and I just sold mine. Woods race if you can its a blast.

What is woods racing?

What is woods racing?

If your pretty comfortable on the trails you can check and see if there are any local harescramble leagues. That's how I started and how a lot of people start. To put it simply, its dirt bike racing in the woods. Depending on the race, it can be pretty wide trails to tight Nasty singletrack. They usually last about 1.5 hrs. Alotta fun if you're into it.

Oh and the kdx is a great bike for an offroad beginner. If you want to start woods racing, you already have a great bike for it.

Our series runs two thirty minute motos in the woods with a enduro cross extreme section.

Sometimes a mx track is used then the wood's are added. Way too much fun.

Our series runs two thirty minute motos in the woods with a enduro cross extreme section.

Sometimes a mx track is used then the wood's are added. Way too much fun.

Jday? Those look awesome.

Jday? Those look awesome.

Yes the are and now Yamaha signed in with contingency for 2016. They join KTM and Husky.

Just take your time with things. I suggest hitting a couple open practices at tracks and getting use to how your new bike will feel. remember confidence is key in Motocross. soon you'll be hucking everything out there. :) take it easy, and good luck bud.