Sign in to follow this  

Basics of motocross racing?

so I'm getting into motocross racing and i know a few things about it from watching and having friends that race. I've read articles about certain rules and regulations but i feel that i can get more important information from people that actually race. 

so can someone tell me the basic things i need to know about gate pics, the different race classes and anything else important that they learned while racing?

Thanks!

The last time I raced MX bikes had 2 shocks and metal tanks, open class on an MX360. :D   So, no advice from this quarter. :cool:

(It was fun and I didn't take it too seriously, though ;) )

• Like 1

Just get as much seat time as possible, track and trail. Racing will be much better and safer for you when you hone your skills.

• Like 1

Mountain biking is great for your athleticism (cardio) and skills. I don't know if the skills in mountain biking would transfer to motocross like they do with woods riding. It is another sport but is very worth it. 500 bucks can get you a beginner hardtail bike. It helps alot with bike control and using your whole body like suspension to be as fluid as possible

For your 1st or 2nd race don't go out there and try to race for any position. Just go out and ride at you own pace and just get a feel for it, epecally off the gate and start just stay back and get the feeling for what it is like off the line with 10-20 or even more riders. Just getting use to that takes a few races. My 2cts

• Like 5

1.  Jump for Show, corner for Dough$$$

2.  If you're not first, you're last!

3.  Full on the gas or full on the brakes, there is no in between in racing!

• Like 3

Physical conditioning is huge. Mx is the toughest sport, guys like dungey make it look easy because how how good of shape they are in.

• Like 1

Keys to the race:

• Get a good start
  • Don't crash
  • Ride faster than everyone else
  • Like 2

Ride within your limits and stay away from squirrelly riders.

I remember some of my amateur races and how dangerous it was due to others.

Remember, this is not your profession, you're just participating in a hobby. Don't take crazy risks. Stay healthy so this will be a lifelong hobby (riding, that is, not necessarily racing)

• Like 1

Prep your bike before the weekend, no maintenance at the track. Air filters, chain adjustment and lube, gas, make sure you have enough premix for the weekend, tire pressure. Have clean and oiled air filters ready for quick changes if necessary. Prep your gear before the weekend, make sure goggles are clean put on tear offs if necessary, clean helmet, boots etc. tighten every bolt. If you can pre register, our local track allows registration the evening before, ask if yours dose. Do not be afraid to ask a lot of questions, there are people hanging out like me who love to BS with new racers.

One cardinal rule for any type of racing, never do anything for the first time on race day, do not try the breakfast coach parked next to the gas station race morning, do not attempt to wear your brand new knee braces you received the night before in the mail, as a beginner, if you have not practiced pulling tear offs don't try during the race.

Have fun, realize that no one is really watching you, well maybe your GF, but that's it!

• Like 7

They will cover most of the rules and stuff at riders meeting the morning of the races. Gate pics are usually drawn for the first moto and based of finish position for the second moto. look up atlantic motocross on facebook, I can't find a proper website for them, just the CMRC one

so I'm getting into motocross racing and i know a few things about it from watching and having friends that race. I've read articles about certain rules and regulations but i feel that i can get more important information from people that actually race. 

so can someone tell me the basic things i need to know about gate pics, the different race classes and anything else important that they learned while racing?

Thanks!

Wow, there is so much, too much, to explain in this post. All this info is explained and shown in my "What To Do On Race Day" DVD or stream. You can watch a free preview and order the DVD or stream online. Thumper Talk members can use the code TTGSMXS58 and receive 10% off.  

Vol I # 5.jpg

Ride your pace. If you come in last place, don't worry about it. #1 thing, have fun. Here's a quick story,

I recently got back into racing myself. I'm 36 years old and race 30+D class. The first few races i let everyone go off the gate, I'm just getting the feel for racing again. After a few races i felt confident and comfortable to try for holeshots. The Last race of the summer, 2 weeks ago, i pulled the holeshot in moto 2, half a lap later i thought i had a flat tire. Pulled off and looked, no flat (i think i was being a little to aggressive with the throttle for track conditions and loosing traction) anyways, i pulled back on the track, now in last place (13th) and was on a mission. Passed a few slower riders. 1 particular guy i caught up to decided he didn't want to be passed and sped up. He was slower than me and obviously tired. When i finally got next to him and went to the outside, he took the inside line and went for a block pass, so i cut back down under him for the pass, being that he was riding over his head, cause he was tired, he spun out and T boned me. He went down and i somehow stayed up.

Moral of the story, don't be that guy. Ride your race, if someone is gonna pass you, let them. Just have fun hanging at the track with friends and use race days as a practice also. Get comfortable with starts and the environment of race day.

P.S. i finished 5th in moto 2 for 4th overall. I was told i will have to race C class next year because of my speed that night. Hopefully i can replicate it. Lol.

Edited by asian195
  • Like 1