Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400 - Acewell Speedo installation PAINS!

OK, I've dug myself pretty deep with this one so I'm really hoping someone can help.

I bought myself an Acewell 3852 for my 2004 400e. My bike's electrical is quite a rat's nest from the previous owner so I was a bit nervous about the installation, but I really needed to get something installed for an inspection, as the previous owner had installed aftermarket wheels that didn't work with the stock speedo drive, so I got to work...

Reading the instructions, I connected the four wire connector that connected to the stock speedo's power. I tested it out and the clock came on, on the Acewell. So far so good.

I tried to figure out the other plugs for signals, etc. but had little luck, so I did some searching on the internet and found out which wires to connect. Followed these one by one, and got the high beam, and the signals to show up on the cluster, though the neutral light still wasn't showing, but this didn't work on the stock cluster, so that should be fine.

I realized at this point that although the clock was showing, there was no other info on the speedometer screen, and the blue backlight wasn't coming on. I finally found Jagadam's thread here: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/725704-acewell-speedo-wiring-where-to-connect-all-those-wires/which was super helpful. It was at this point that I realized that on the first, main four wire switch that I had connected, only the "clock power" wire was correct. So I disconnected the clips and started connecting the wires individually, as the ones in the thread matched those on my bike.

Once I had them connected, I realized that the bike wouldn't start. I mean, I turn the key on and absolutely nothing happens. I imagine I shorted something, because disconnecting these wires shouldn't have affected the bike's ability to start. Now I can't even find the fuse box on the bike. It's not under the seat. Is it under the tank maybe??

Thanks guys. I really want to get this stupid project finished. :banghead:

OK, I've dug myself pretty deep with this one so I'm really hoping someone can help.

I bought myself an Acewell 3852 for my 2004 400e. My bike's electrical is quite a rat's nest from the previous owner so I was a bit nervous about the installation, but I really needed to get something installed for an inspection, as the previous owner had installed aftermarket wheels that didn't work with the stock speedo drive, so I got to work...

Reading the instructions, I connected the four wire connector that connected to the stock speedo's power. I tested it out and the clock came on, on the Acewell. So far so good.

I tried to figure out the other plugs for signals, etc. but had little luck, so I did some searching on the internet and found out which wires to connect. Followed these one by one, and got the high beam, and the signals to show up on the cluster, though the neutral light still wasn't showing, but this didn't work on the stock cluster, so that should be fine.

I realized at this point that although the clock was showing, there was no other info on the speedometer screen, and the blue backlight wasn't coming on. I finally found Jagadam's thread here: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/725704-acewell-speedo-wiring-where-to-connect-all-those-wires/which was super helpful. It was at this point that I realized that on the first, main four wire switch that I had connected, only the "clock power" wire was correct. So I disconnected the clips and started connecting the wires individually, as the ones in the thread matched those on my bike.

Once I had them connected, I realized that the bike wouldn't start. I mean, I turn the key on and absolutely nothing happens. I imagine I shorted something, because disconnecting these wires shouldn't have affected the bike's ability to start. Now I can't even find the fuse box on the bike. It's not under the seat. Is it under the tank maybe??

Thanks guys. I really want to get this stupid project finished. :banghead:

Fuse is right above the battery which is located on the left side of the bike above the rear wheel.

I've looked around there before... Is it just one big fuse on the e, instead of a fuse box?

Ok yes, it was the two fuses by the battery. That did it.

Had a few more snags with the installation but it looks like I'm good to go.

Thanks!