Chain retainer alternative....

Hey anyone sick and tired of throwing their chain because you lost the master link retainer?  Well trash the stock retainer and switch to circlips.   I am constantly losing my retainer no matter what i do...So went to mcmastercarr.com and purchased hardened circlips for my 520 chain masterlink.  mcmaster part number 99620A555. Pack of a hundred for about 9 bucks... I have not thrown a chain since!! 

20150811_1350441.jpg

Have you ever considered using a Rivet-type master link?

That's what I use.  No worry whatsoever about one of those coming loose.

I haven't found a reason to disconnect a link in a chain until it's worn out and ready to be tossed.

Yup.i learned long ago..rivet link or nothin,.no reason to remove the chain till it`s beat anyway..

B

Hopefully not too much of a hijack, but how do you tell when a chain is beat? I know about looking for stretched sections of chain but I evidently ride pretty mildly so the chain is even. Is there any other way to tell? 

Hopefully not too much of a hijack, but how do you tell when a chain is beat? I know about looking for stretched sections of chain but I evidently ride pretty mildly so the chain is even. Is there any other way to tell? 

If you can pull it away from the rear sprocket enough to see light under the links, it has stretched too far.

When links get tight so that they stay bent a bit when they should be straight, your chain is on its last legs.  (The chain on my KTM is starting to do that at about 16,000 miles.)

When it has stretched unevenly so that it's tighter in certain positions and looser in others when you rotate it around, time to replace.

If you ever lose a roller, you need to replace.  Had that happen on a Ducati that I owned once.

Sometimes I like to remove the chain, stretch it out with the links facing down and twist it til it will not curve anymore. If The amount of curvature exceeds 6" then time to replace. The rivets won't allow me to remove the chain.  This was the method i used in the 70's in the motocross days when money was always tight.   

Also once i ordered a DID X-Ring chain and it came with only the clip on master so I used that and the circlips.    No problem.

I have never seen a properly installed clip come off.

There are a few extra things that need to be done/checked with a press-on side-plate master like these are.

The side-plate must be tight against the clip, but installed far enough on the clip slots are free.

Best thing to do is after installing the clip pull the side-plate out a skosh with a link puller so it's tight against the clip.

Sometimes I like to remove the chain, stretch it out with the links facing down and twist it til it will not curve anymore. If The amount of curvature exceeds 6" then time to replace. The rivets won't allow me to remove the chain.  This was the method i used in the 70's in the motocross days when money was always tight.   

Sounds like the same method we used to use..Remove the chain..Stretch it out to its full length links side down to the pavement. Then grab one end and pick it up on its side..Same deal with the curvature..Course back in the 70s things were always tight for us young jocks so invariably the chain went back on even with the excess curve. :lol:

I also agree about the joining link..I've only ever lost one and that was because I didn't install it correctly,,ie I was in a rush and didn't check the clip was hard into the link slots when I pressed it through..No damage..I pushed it up the road to the bike shop and put in a new joiner link..fair wore me out that pushing though..

Edited by Horri

fair wore me out that pushing though..

Pushing a motorcycle is good exercise. :cool: