2004 CRF80

Picked up a nice 80 for my daughter, cluth pull was a bit much for her, so I took the clutch perch apart tonight and the darn thing tore apart when getting the bolt out.

So, is there a better aftermarket one out there or should I just go with stock?  Also, is there a clutch lever that is better suited for smaller hands?  She only rode it 20 minutes the other day to learn the clutch and her hand was hurting.

I need to get this new one installed within 2 weeks, because we're taking the bikes on vacation with us.

Edited by EXxrldtgnow300dtg

There are a million posts similar to this so if you don't get an answer in an hour or two just do a search.  I used a CR85 lever and perch.  It's way better.However there are some after market ones that are even better. I just can't think of the names right now. But yea, throw the whole stock set-up away and go after market.

I ended up ordering a Motion pro universal Honda clutch perch/lever assembly.  Should be here by Friday.  If that doesn't work, I'll try the CR85 assembly.

What kills me is Honda has made this kid's bike for a long time and the reach is still too far for little hands and hard to pull for little hands.  You think they'd have an adjustable lever on a kids bike or have a shorter reach.

I ended up ordering a Motion pro universal Honda clutch perch/lever assembly.  Should be here by Friday.  If that doesn't work, I'll try the CR85 assembly.

What kills me is Honda has made this kid's bike for a long time and the reach is still too far for little hands and hard to pull for little hands.  You think they'd have an adjustable lever on a kids bike or have a shorter reach.

Yeah, I hear ya.  The 100 is even harder!  Way harder than a big bike.  Makes no sense!  So what I did with our 80 was loosen the clutch cable so about half of the travel was freeplay. And that worked because the clutch did not release until almost all the way out anyway.  That brings the lever in much closer and then they can reach and pull it easier.  For the 100, I just bought this lever:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361165610552?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It seems ok quality and it does give better leverage and is much easier to pull.

Here is a pic of the 80 that I rigged up to be PA240 compliant.

DSC00446a.jpg

Update.  The Motion pro generic Honda perch/lever as well as douching the cable liberally with lube did the trick.  The clutch engages about 1" from the grip now, she said it was 100% easier to pull now. Tomorrow she'll ride it a little more, she's still jerky when shifting.