08 YZ 450 kickstarter "hanging" up?

Don't need it.  It's just something else to do wrong or forget about and cause more trouble.  The stock one works fine. 

OK good to know,just curious if the automatics had issues after they got older. Hopefully get the carb back on today and see if it will fire.

I had an issue similar to this, and it ended up being the con rod main bearing. It would shut off instantly, not like you hit the kill button, an instant shut down. I even tore the engine completely down ad the crank play was within spec, but after the third time it locked up, I tore it down again to find out that the bearing was shot and must have been on its last leg the first time I checked.

Good luck!

Well,the crank turns fine with a socket on the crank snout. I guess I won't know anything until I get it running. Been trying to get the float set,what a pain in the butt.

Well,the crank turns fine with a socket on the crank snout. I guess I won't know anything until I get it running. Been trying to get the float set,what a pain in the butt.

Yeah, mine seemed fine too. It would just lock up out of nowhere......

Yeah, mine seemed fine too. It would just lock up out of nowhere......

Bleh, all I can do is hope.

Bleh, all I can do is hope.

Good luck man!

Hopefully it is a cheap fix.

I dropped/bent 3 valves on my 450 this weekend! Now I need the head repaired, new valvetrain and maybe new cam(s), cylinder replating, and new piston and rings.

Good luck man!

Hopefully it is a cheap fix.

I dropped/bent 3 valves on my 450 this weekend! Now I need the head repaired, new valvetrain and maybe new cam(s), cylinder replating, and new piston and rings.

Ouch! Might as well get the GYTR ported head for $1300. I'm throwing a new cam chain on and crossing my fingers.

Ouch! Might as well get the GYTR ported head for $1300. I'm throwing a new cam chain on and crossing my fingers.

I thought about it, but I can get it fixed and ported for less than half of that.

If you get a 5 valve head ported, be sure the person doing it verifiably knows what he's doing.  The area in the intake where the three ports diverge from the one is EXTREMELY critical to both how the intake flows AND to the way the air flows within the combustion chamber on exit from the ports, and it's a whole lot easier to take out 4 horsepower than it is to find 2 new ones if it's not done right.  

If you get a 5 valve head ported, be sure the person doing it verifiably knows what he's doing. The area in the intake where the three ports diverge from the one is EXTREMELY critical to both how the intake flows AND to the way the air flows within the combustion chamber on exit from the ports, and it's a whole lot easier to take out 4 horsepower than it is to find 2 new ones if it's not done right.

I think I'm going to have edco do it like you suggested

UPDATE: Been awhile since I've been here. Replaced cam chain and got bike running. It popped/back fired when you throttled it. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago finally had time to get to my mechanic. Bike had 2 bent valves,bleh. Ended up finding an OEM valve/spring/seal kit on Ebay. Who's got the best price on a new tensioner? Having a hard time finding OEM,everything is the manual one.