Sign in to follow this  

Late-model 2-strokes hard to find on Craigs List

So, I have  been without a bike for two years now, having sold my 2013 YZ 250F only 8 months after buying it due to cost-cutting stuff I had to do at the time.  I have been looking since February on all the major cities within 3 hours drive from me here in the mid-west (Indianapolis, Cincy, Louisville, St. Louis, even Chicago area sometimes) and it seems to me that there are very few recent-model smokers out there for sale.  I am talking about 2006+ YZ 125/250, the 2007-10 KTM 250, or even the newer KTMs.  Every once in the while, one will surface in good shape but the asking prices always are very high relative to prices of just a few years ago.  Now, I am talking only about the MX models, but is anyone else seeing this lack of inventory on these bikes?  It almost seems to be like the market for clean kids bikes, where they just get sold through word-of-mouth.  I know that this is the riding season and most guys sell only during the off-season when upgrading to a new bike, but I have been looking for quite a while and don't see much out there.

I've been looking for a cr125 for a few weeks and there's some around but all the late model bikes are close to 3k and all the ones under the year 2000 are junk. I've been having a hard time finding a good one that's over the year 2000 in decent shape for a fair price.

Because your looking for 2 strokes and those arent what people are buying anymore. Im near chicago and all i see are 450s and 250f's. Guess all us 90s kids arent giving them up!

I'll just say this about used bike prices.  They have gone up in the last year or 2.  Between Honda, Kawi, and Suzuki dropping their smokers, the low sales numbers for the industry as a whole through the Great Recession, and an improving economy where lots of people have the money to buy a clean used bike, but maybe not ready to spend $7-10K on a new bike, the used market for cleaner late model smokers is going way up.  If I were to sell my '07 today, I could get more for it than what I paid for it in the fall of '10.  

Edited by CBus660R
  • Like 3

If you are willing to drive to chicago why not add some city's in Indiana and SW michigan/detroit to your searchs. I have not seen a lot of 2006 + 2T's out there at a reasonable price but there are some if you look a little further. From what I have seen 4T's are flooding the market and a lot of there owners are going back to 2T's making the good ones go very fast. In this market if you Snooze you Loose on a good bike. My advice is look often and be ready to drive.

I also agree with 88cr80. Any thing older than 2000 is pretty much Junk. We found a deal on a 2000 YZ250 last month only because the guy thought there was a carb problem and could not figure it out. As soon as it started i knew it was electrical because it was breaking up. It was a 1 hour of my time + a $50 part and the bike runs great. But I swear know one knows how to clean swing arm and linkage bearings on a used bike. Every used bike I have bought in the last 4 years needed all new bearings in the swing arm and linkage and 1/2 of them needed fork seals as well.

If you buy older price it acordingly.

Two strokes are coming back in a major way. Just ask KTM and Beta. Even Yamaha is coming out with a new trail version of the YZ. 

Yes, they are lighter. Easier to work on. But after the last ten years of the so called "four stroke" evolution, a bunch of guys like me have had to pay for new top ends on their four strokes and after a couple of times I said "to hell with that shet" and got back on a two stroker. $160 top end rebuilds that take a couple hours if the cylinder is in good shape and out riding again the same day.

Plus, guys like me have also discovered that if ya install a Lectron carb and free flowing silencer and get your powervalve set up right, you can keep up with the four strokes just fine and blow by them laughing on the single track/switchbacks. 

Added to that fact is the guys who never bought into the four stroke bullshet have made pretty good amounts of money buying used two strokes for cheap, installing the low cost top ends and then selling those bikes for three times what they paid for them. Try that with a four stroke.

Lastly, the time to look for aTwo Stroke is right before Christmas, or right after Christmas when people are brke and desperate. Not in the summer when they are still riding their bikes. 

• Like 2

I wanted to get a 06+ yz250 to go with my 450 ~4 years ago. After searching for a while, one finally came up with in an hour drive. Hit the dude up and went to pick it up later that night. he asking 3k and he went down to 2900.

If you want something modern and clean, you gotta be ready to jump on it.

• Like 1

I wanted to get a 06+ yz250 to go with my 450 ~4 years ago. After searching for a while, one finally came up with in an hour drive. Hit the dude up and went to pick it up later that night. he asking 3k and he went down to 2900.

If you want something modern and clean, you gotta be ready to jump on it.

No point expecting something for nothing. As a lot of buyers and lowballers do.

When I get lowballed I tell them to find a better one for less and buy it.

Guess all us 90s kids arent giving them up!

them kids from the 80s ain't giving up neither.

I also agree with 88cr80. Any thing older than 2000 is pretty much Junk.

Is this an absolute fact? Is your 99 YZ junk? My 99 KX is not junk. Sure, I've done to rescue efforts to it but it's not junk. Very very dependent upon the previous owner to do or not to do the maintenance. 

them kids from the 80s ain't giving up neither.

Is this an absolute fact? Is your 99 YZ junk? My 99 KX is not junk. Sure, I've done to rescue efforts to it but it's not junk. Very very dependent upon the previous owner to do or not to do the maintenance. 

Or the current owner to disassemble it to bits and make sure everything is good.

Once dialled for the rider it will be just fine.

There not all junk its just when I bike starts getting that old they start getting pretty worn out and sometimes need some work to get it back running like it should.

There not all junk its just when I bike starts getting that old they start getting pretty worn out and sometimes need some work to get it back running like it should.

That process takes 5 years IMO.

I had a hard time finding a late model 250 2 stroke also. I was looking for an 03-09 YZ250 or 04-08 RM250. Took me about a good 6 months and I finally found an 04 RM250. Problem is when I found a bike it was either a beat bike or the owner wanted too much. Just have to be patient.

Ugh I sure hope I can find a bike because i really want to do an MX School in October but I don't know if I'll have a bike. I'm having trouble with people responding. I've seen a few nice bikes and the seller didn't even put a way to contact.

My older bike is clean as it gets. Honestly it's not that different than a newer two stroke. If like a 450 but I'm not giving my 250 away.

My older bike is clean as it gets. Honestly it's not that different than a newer two stroke. If like a 450 but I'm not giving my 250 away.

Unfortunately, most people on craigslist don't keep there 20 year old bikes as clean as you. When a bike gets old it gets worn out in places that aren't thought of as much. I'm not saying it happens to every old bike but usually a bike that's older than 15 years of age, is more worn out than a bike thats only 5 years old.

All the older bikes in my area are clapped out and all banged up, or they have so many mods that I don't even want to deal with. I don't trust people that have done a lot of engine work on the bike because I feel like they are selling it because it's gonna blow up. I also hate when people replace the old worn out plastics with some off color and then put wicked ugly graphics on it. Its just easier to find a bike thats newer than 2000 in good shape.

Edited by 88cr80

I have noticed this as well. I bought my 06 yz125 for 1400 4 years ago, but today I see the same bike going for over 2000. I have been looking for a good buy on another 125 or 250 and everything seems overpriced. You would think Yamaha would build more 2 strokes if there is really such a need out there, right?

I have noticed this as well. I bought my 06 yz125 for 1400 4 years ago, but today I see the same bike going for over 2000. I have been looking for a good buy on another 125 or 250 and everything seems overpriced. You would think Yamaha would build more 2 strokes if there is really such a need out there, right?

They build as many as they will sell.

I think in 5 to 10 years we'll see the market filled with off road two strokes from the euros and the YZs. 

The other stuff (Kawi, Suzuki, Honda) will get harder and harder to find as they age and the parts are hard to justify on a 20 year old bike.