Build or buy?

Not new to TT but I rarely post just asking a general concensus on what's better, to build my 400sm with many costly and timely mods or to sell and go for a better bike that has the power that I'm looking for?

Not new to TT but I rarely post just asking a general concensus on what's better, to build my 400sm with many costly and timely mods or to sell and go for a better bike that has the power that I'm looking for?

Buy, definitely buy. I learned the hard way..... I love my DR-Z but I payed 3500 for it and I now hard a good 7 to 8 grand into it.

I can't 100% honestly answer that.  BUT if I had an SM, I think I would keep & mod.

Because I wouldn't mind a heavier bike on the street, and it's very reliable, even when modded.

Edited by Throttle5

If you don't think you can build the DRZ to your potential/comparable expectations, buy something new. It's not only the build aspect, it's the time invested as well and may always be a work in progress if you compare to other SM with more power

modding a machine you love is all about the enjoyment... if youre looking for power though you arnt going to beat a factory engineered machine with more power by design .. my Roadliner cruiser will blow the most heavily modded drz away on the street and anything the SM can do that cruiser cant do better on the street, a stock drz can do ...

No matter if you buy a diff bike like a KTM SMR 510 or stick with what you have. There is always modding involved. Everybody I know that has bought the KTM690r has put almost the purchase price into  mods to make it better handling and just reliability mods. In addition to farkles. So how deep is your wallet? And how much more power do you want or need?

No matter if you buy a diff bike like a KTM SMR 510 or stick with what you have. There is always modding involved. Everybody I know that has bought the KTM690r has put almost the purchase price into mods to make it better handling and just reliability mods. In addition to farkles. So how deep is your wallet? And how much more power do you want or need?

I have ridden around on a buddies ktm and was in complete awe at the amount of power and lightness of the bike. After doing some research I have found that to rival that bike the amount of mods required would involve me splitting the case for stroker kits, sending parts out to do the machining I can't do and much more. I have not ridden a fully modded drz or even a 434 so I guess I'm just asking how much work would it require to bring a drz to the equivalent of a stock exc500 with motard brakes and tires, and is it even worth it?

Also yes I'm mechanically inclined but I'm also very very lazy haha

I have ridden around on a buddies ktm and was in complete awe at the amount of power and lightness of the bike. After doing some research I have found that to rival that bike the amount of mods required would involve me splitting the case for stroker kits, sending parts out to do the machining I can't do and much more. I have not ridden a fully modded drz or even a 434 so I guess I'm just asking how much work would it require to bring a drz to the equivalent of a stock exc500 with motard brakes and tires, and is it even worth it?

Also yes I'm mechanically inclined but I'm also very very lazy haha

My friend i ride with has a 500 exc and there is no comparing the two. The price tag on the 500exc plus wheels & tires and little stuff you need it gets pricey! the drz with an extra 1000 to 1500 is a really fun bike and way under the price tag of that 500 

Edited by MOTOTIM

Whichever is more fun to you! Probably to sell and buy.

What kind of power are you looking for?

Just keep in mind that the DRZ is a 20 year old design and that manifests in many ways small and large. Ride one of the modern bikes and you'll appreciate part of it. The suspension, the weight and weight distribution, the chassis, the ergos, the ease of maintenance, the gearbox, the brakes, the handling ... plus the power. The DRZ tops out at around 470-480cc, and contains no magic or spells that ai know of to make more power out of that displacement than motor platforms that start at 450cc and can be built out to 500-600 plus cc's.

I like messing with my DRZ because I enjoy the process, and it's a nice comfy mostly reliable ubiquitous bike and Iove it to bits.

But just ride something that has REAL power out of the box to know for sure - for me that experience was first on a Husaberg 550 - after that I was cured of all desire to build the drz up just to build it up. (I'll bore and stroke it when the stock parts wear out!, but not before.)

But it depends what kind of power we're talking about?

Looks like I just got sucked in a rebuild. I was planning on selling and upgrading to a ktm690 but I came across a stroker/bbk for 550CAD... Plus a set of oshc for 150CAD. Sooo...

My bike runs perfect and I am not in any rush to build it but I want to do it right on a budget.

I already ordered a new cam chain and the manual tensioner. I figured thats the minimum I need to do when I split it. Then I need valves but I am not set on that yet.

So it all depends. I think the upgrade will be a welcome refresh for my bike and riding and will probably postpone buying the 690 in few years.

And I'm sure you'll love it!

Cheap

Fast

Reliable

You can only choose two!

Looks like I'm building till I can buy haha if that is even possible but it's a dream right!

Cheap

Fast

Reliable

You can only choose two!

If its a KTM, Choose one! 

build vs buy? depends on the situation. Been in both. Build is more fun every time, but buy has the least worries.