Sign in to follow this  

Increasing performance in a '93 TW200

So I do a lot of trail riding on my '93 TW200, and I love the thing to death. Only issue is, its under powered. 278 pounds, 200CCs, with a 130 pounds rider makes going up steep hills difficult. A fellow rider suggested squishier tires, as I often loose traction going up, and I believe that will help to some extent. Still doesnt solve the power issue tho. I'm wondering if there's any modifications that will increase the power output and make some stuff a bit easier to navigate. If you know of any, lemmie know. Thanks.

There's this....

http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/13306-list-parts-you-will-need-upgrade-your-tw-214-225-up-250-cc.html

Another option is to drop an XT225 motor into it.  Find an XT225 or a TTR225 with the wide ratio trany.  Take your TW200 tail shaft and you can have a groove machined into it and it will fit right into either the XT or TTR donor.  Gives you more power and the six speed, not to mention a six plate clutch.

Edited by XR-rated

I had a 94 for several years as a commuter bike to work about 8 miles on the freeway each way.

First I went up two teeth on the counter and down 4 teeth on the rear so the engine doesn't scream at 55mph

Then I opened up the outlet on the stock muffler as stock is very restrictive. Sound was much better and still not too loud.

Then I opened up the air box and made a new element out of much larger open "cell"(s) foam.

This opened up air flow so much that re-jetting was required.

Much better after that but I wanted more.

Next I bored the carb as large as possible paying attention to the margin on the slide so vacuum would not by-pass it at idle. (But it was close) also machined .040 off the top of the slide so it would open further and bored the carb even more to match that.

Bike was super lean after that so I re-jetted again.

Finally we were getting somewhere!

It ran much stronger, actually had some pull through the gears on acceleration and I was able to consistently achieve 75mph while laying on the fuel tank. And now it would cruse at 65mph comfortably.

Best part of it all:

I only had to purchase two sprockets.

I drilled the jets for the re-jetting and had the skid plate foam for the air filter on the shelf.

But you will need to balance both tires. They really start vibrating at those speeds.

Now let me tell you how much fun it was when a bee got under my helmet and stung me on the nose on the way home once when riding the bike...

Maybe that story another time would be better....

Edited by adnohguy

The thing about just increasing the ponies in the stock engine is it will still only has five gears.  You only get more pick up, which just by itself is not real bad but....  This bike ain't never going to roost like an XR400.  You can regear through sprokets to gain more top speed, but it comes at the expense of that creaper first that is so, so nice in the tight or non existant trails.  In the XT225 engine you will have that creaper first and be able to cruise at 60 with out your ginyockies going numb.  

Tires are another way to make her perform better.

Front Pirelli MT21, rear Duro Power grip ATV tire.

MT21%20001.jpg

new%20tires%20003.jpg

Lose that front "Death Wing" and an ATV rear and you're on your way to a very cabable trail bike.  Keep in mind that with only about 6 inches of travel, front and rear, you're never going to be flyig through the air with the greatest of ease, but you will be able to go anywhere the big bikes go.

Edited by XR-rated

The thing about just increasing the ponies in the stock engine is it will still only has five gears. You only get more pick up, which just by itself is not real bad but.... This bike ain't never going to roost like an XR400. You can regear through sprokets to gain more top speed, but it comes at the expense of that creaper first that is so, so nice in the tight or non existant trails. In the XT225 engine you will have that creaper first and be able to cruise at 60 with out your ginyockies going numb.

Tires are another way to make her perform better.

Front Pirelli MT21, rear Duro Power grip ATV tire.

MT21%20001.jpg

new%20tires%20003.jpg

Lose that front "Death Wing" and an ATV rear and you're on your way to a very cabable trail bike. Keep in mind that with only about 6 inches of travel, front and rear, you're never going to be flyig through the air with the greatest of ease, but you will be able to go anywhere the big bikes go.

Mine cost me two sprockets and got me 20 mph Max with comfortable cruising speed of 65 instead of screaming it at 55.

A TW 200 is not a trail bike by an stretch of the word. Or a street bike.

But it's ended up being a pretty decent commuter bike for a few years. And got tremendous fuel mileage also.

But those bees are another story...

Well I guess we just disagree there.  I think it the TW is a pretty decent trail bike.  I'm not talking hare scamble winner by any means but it's very capable in single track and stump jumping (make your own trail as you go), depending on the pilot of course. ;)

Edited by XR-rated

So your thinking that it would be fine on most any tight, rough, gnarly single track as well as fast, off camber, dog leg turns, foot up speedway style sliding on fire roads?

You know, like any other dirt/trail/off road bike?

That's not what I said. 

RIF.

Here I'll type what I typed above real slowly so maybe you can understand it this time:

I   t h i n k   i t   t h e   T W   i s   a   p r e t t y   d e c e n t   t r a i l   b i k e .   I' m   n o t   t a l k i n g   h a r e   s c a m b l e   w i n n e r   b y   a n y   m e a n s   b u t   i t ' s    v e r y   c a p a b l e   i n   s i n g l e   t r a c k   a n d   s t u m p   j u m p i n g   ( m a k e   y o u r   o w n   t r a i l   a s   y o u   g o ) ,   d e p e n d i n g   o n   t h e   p i l o t    o f   c o u r s e .  ;)

Edited by XR-rated

I had one when I was young and hated the aqua green color so I got a couple rattle cans of insta chrome and man did it go fast when the whole bike was chrome!

• Like 2

I had one when I was young and hated the aqua green color so I got a couple rattle cans of insta chrome and man did it go fast when the whole bike was chrome!

A lot cheaper that what I did!

Love those budget placebo builds...

Lol

That's not what I said.

RIF.

Here I'll type what I typed above real slowly so maybe you can understand it this time:

I t h i n k i t t h e T W i s a p r e t t y d e c e n t t r a i l b i k e . I' m n o t t a l k i n g h a r e s c a m b l e w i n n e r b y a n y m e a n s b u t i t ' s v e r y c a p a b l e i n s i n g l e t r a c k a n d s t u m p j u m p i n g ( m a k e y o u r o w n t r a i l a s y o u g o ) , d e p e n d i n g o n t h e p i l o t o f c o u r s e . ;)

Yah that's why you see all those Tw's lined up on the "Stump Jumping Courses" every weekend.

There is so many of them on all the single track trails, it's extremely difficult to get a chance to go riding anymore.

Lucky for all of us, at least they make all the brand new trails on TW's so at least the rest of us can get a ride in once in a while.

Lol

That bike has the same rear tire as mine.  Definately gives some good traction.  Not that the Mighty TW could roost much with the stock tire but there ain't no breaking loose that Duro power Grip.

Looks like he has a rear rim laced to a front hub.  I wonder if they had to do something with the front forks?  I don't think that rear wheel/tire combo would fit throught the stock forks.  Looks like and aftermarket tripple.

Edited by XR-rated

So I do a lot of trail riding on my '93 TW200, and I love the thing to death. Only issue is, its under powered. 278 pounds, 200CCs, with a 130 pounds rider makes going up steep hills difficult. A fellow rider suggested squishier tires, as I often loose traction going up, and I believe that will help to some extent. Still doesnt solve the power issue tho. I'm wondering if there's any modifications that will increase the power output and make some stuff a bit easier to navigate. If you know of any, lemmie know. Thanks.

Sam,  You out there?

Sam,  You out there?

Lol, I havent check my computer for a while. 

When you put the quad tire on the back of your TW, did you modify your swing arm/brake? Also, does it rub on the front of the swing arm? It looks pretty massive but I cant quite tell from the picture. Whats the PSI?

When I put the Duro Power grip on there was just a slight rubbing on the right side of the swing arm.  If you look at your swing arm you will see that there is a little ridge that sticks out on the front part.  That's all you have to grind off.  The tire is about 2&1/2 inches taller so you will need a longer chain if your snails are near or below 5.  Also to get the tire to seat on the rim bead you need to do a little trimming on the tire bead. Get one of those little cone shaped grinding wheels and chuck that up in a hand drill and make sweeping passes inside the tire at the bead.  Once you start to see cord stop.  Do both sides.  It's worth it to take it to a tire store to have them put it on.  Use Armor All as a lube.  Seats at about 80 pounds.  People have gone up to 90.  I wouldn’t go beyond that.   Once it's seated I run it at 20psi.  Does pretty good on the pavement too, although it's not DOT rated.

Come on over to tw200forum.com.  Lots of support over there.  A few members from Montana.

Come on over to tw200forum.com.  Lots of support over there.  A few members from Montana.

I do have an account there, and I have read a few of the posts. Very helpful. 

When I put the Duro Power grip on there was just a slight rubbing on the right side of the swing arm.  If you look at your swing arm you will see that there is a little ridge that sticks out on the front part.  That's all you have to grind off.  The tire is about 2&1/2 inches taller so you will need a longer chain if your snails are near or below 5.  Also to get the tire to seat on the rim bead you need to do a little trimming on the tire bead. Get one of those little cone shaped grinding wheels and chuck that up in a hand drill and make sweeping passes inside the tire at the bead.  Once you start to see cord stop.  Do both sides.  It's worth it to take it to a tire store to have them put it on.  Use Armor All as a lube.  Seats at about 80 pounds.  People have gone up to 90.  I wouldn’t go beyond that.   Once it's seated I run it at 20psi.  Does pretty good on the pavement too, although it's not DOT rated.

Whats the traction like at 20psi? I'm running my current around 4psi, and it still slips. Probably has to do more with what its made of tho.

Oh, figured I should mention, I'm still running stock tire. A good 22 years old, and not to mention she was left to sit out in the sun for about 12 years.

Whats the traction like at 20psi? I'm running my current around 4psi, and it still slips. Probably has to do more with what its made of tho.

Traction is awsome.  You can't break the rear tire loose to spin very well though if you're looking to slide around corners.  This isn't a race bike any means but in spite of what some "richard le tete's" think it is a good and capable trail bike.

What's you handle over there, at tw200forum.com?

I'm Devils Advocate.

Edited to add the the real weak spot is the front tire.  The back tire is adequate but the front just plan sucks for trail riding.  Washes out enormously.  I have the Pirelli MT21 but wish I would have went with the Dunlap 606.

Edited by XR-rated