How to fix cracked fender

Riding my 2007 yz250f and i fipped catwalking my rear fender has a big crack across it and was wondering how to fix it. I dont wanna buy a new fender because i have a decal kit on my bike. I was thinking jb weld or something like that.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/989/3540/Urethane-Supply-Plastic-Welding-Kit

could get something like this.. Also put a search on this topic.

This is good for me to keep in mind for the future..though I'm now to the point replacing what needs replacing.

When I was 18 and poor, I had a CR 500 in the desert. Well there was this old expert desert racer Jimbo I met riding in the middle of BFE nowhere, and we became friends. A few months later he and I were riding again, and I had some major newfound speed--even Jimbo mentioned it which made me ride even faster!!!

We rode down one of the gnarliest downhills at El Mirage, went deep into the rocky canyon at the bottom, and boy I was actually gapping Jimbo!!!! Then came the rock--the size of 3 VP gas cans tied together. I hit that thing so hard it caved the exhaust pipe around the frame.

I was sooo stressed over saving the ignition cover. Wrap ur minds around that: a $200 exhaust pipe, multiple cosmetic scratches, I could have maimed my leg had it been caught between the bike and this rock, and I'm worried about trying not to melt the $35 ignition cover with the hot exhaust pipe that I folded around the chassis.

But we've all been there. Hope you get ur plastic fixed.

Edited by LovingOffroadPain
  • Like 3

Riding my 2007 yz250f and i fipped catwalking my rear fender has a big crack across it and was wondering how to fix it. I dont wanna buy a new fender because i have a decal kit on my bike. I was thinking jb weld or something like that.

I find ebay a good source for cheap used plastics, just be aware of some people charging insane shipping rates.

Also I have changed decals from plastics to plastics, just be patience and should work just fine.

I broke the rear fender on my KTM and had to buy new plastics, ended up taking the graphics off the old rear fender and using them on the new ones.

It doesn't look pretty but I have done it in the past with plastic Adirondack chairs and other plastic items.

Drill small holes on opposing sides of the crack down the hole length of the crack. Take safety wire and lace it through the holes like a pair of shoes. When you get to the last two holes twist it up and cut off the excess. Like I said doesn't look great, but it is strong and holds

• Like 1

It doesn't look pretty but I have done it in the past with plastic Adirondack chairs and other plastic items.

Drill small holes on opposing sides of the crack down the hole length of the crack. Take safety wire and lace it through the holes like a pair of shoes. When you get to the last two holes twist it up and cut off the excess. Like I said doesn't look great, but it is strong and holds

This what I do when I crack the fenders only old 3 wheelers but instead of wire I will use the appropriate color zip ties which makes it stand out alot less and looks a little better in my opinion but none of its pretty lookin.

• Like 2

Drill a hole at the end of the crack to keep it from cracking more. Do what kyleanegus said as well.

ok thanks guys might give that a try and see how it turns out. if not might just buy a new fender. It just hate it being cranked cuz it moves so damn much.

This what I do when I crack the fenders only old 3 wheelers but instead of wire I will use the appropriate color zip ties which makes it stand out alot less and looks a little better in my opinion but none of its pretty lookin.

thanks for the idea man might do that

I find ebay a good source for cheap used plastics, just be aware of some people charging insane shipping rates.

Also I have changed decals from plastics to plastics, just be patience and should work just fine.

I broke the rear fender on my KTM and had to buy new plastics, ended up taking the graphics off the old rear fender and using them on the new ones.

i found a fender for 32$ thats shipped to my door. I was wonder how did u take your decal kit off you fender?

When i was younger I rode a 65SX which had the stupid one piece side panel/rear fender combo (WHY CANT KTM FIGURE THIS OUT??!?!)

I bought a new piece, peeled the decals off and superglued them back on. It looked okay, but not the greatest. You might be able to call whoever made your graphics and see if you can buy just that rear fender decal. 

That particular item is not longer available, at least from them

Yea I know that.. it was posted as such when I posted it..but I bought one and at least one can know what it is and look somewhere else for it. I haven't even used my kit yet but figure it ought to be ok for some small work or for work that I can't get another fender for ..for ex.

Ya I got a bag of small zip ties in different colours and normally use them on my fuel lines but I have used them to stitch together cracked plastic where gluing or jb welding mostly likely would never bond.

And girls like stitches

Just saw the DUCK Tape post - never actually seen it called DUCK before nor in as many colours. We call in 100 MPH tape and yes I've used white duct tape (sort of looked a bit like Kevlar) to repair cracked white plastic til I got around to replacing.

Edited by filterx