Sign in to follow this  

New Spring Rates and Settings?

So I've ordered new spring rates for my 03 RM 250 with the stock KYB suspension. and I was hoping to get some feedback on things like fork oil height and clicker settings since these springs will pretty much reset my bike's feel.

I weigh about 205 with gear on 195 without, ride motocross around C wannabe B level, and have incoming .45 fork springs and 5.4 rear spring.

My #1 issue with my current 46mm open bath forks is the mid stroke harshness that comes from running an oil height high enough to keep the ride balanced. When I soften the comp the fork dives too much. With that issue I figured running stiffer springs with less oil will help. So what oil height should I try first? I was planning on starting with the stock value of 130mm. Is that a good idea or should I go lower?

The rear I am pretty happy with currently, but to get the sag proper I have the preload nut about 3/4 of the way down the shock, so I figured getting a new spring in the rear would balance things out better. Should I revert the shock clickers back to stock and go from there? With the current soft spring I have the low speed comp 1 click harder, rebound 1 click slower, and high speed comp 1 turn in. I figure with a new stiffer spring I will have to soften the low speed comp, and slow the rebound a click or two. Does all of this seem like a good approach?

I know it comes down to track feel, but hopefully I can get an informed start here. Do these spring rates seem about right for what I've mentioned?

Advice is appreciated.

Edited by Metal and Dirt

The new springs are in and I will be testing settings this weekend.

One question though about the forks. Is it ok to add fork oil through the air bleed opening if I want to experiment with fork oil levels? I started out at a conservative oil height so I have adjustment to work with. These open bath forks have a bumper and cup setup at the top of the damper rod and it looks like any oil I add through the top would work it's way down.

Or should I just remove the caps if I need to add oil?

Yes you can