moving up to kx85 from xr100?

Youngest son is outgrowing his xr100, still rides it but is getting a bit cramped. When he does ride it there's 2 basic throttle positions...full bore or idle. He's bored with the power, or lack thereof as well. Found a project 04 kx85 locally that I'm considering picking up for him. 3" taller seat height, better suspension all around, and I can convert it to big wheel pretty easily when he needs a bit more out of it. I spent the majority of my younger 20 years building 2 stroke motors so I'm not worried about maintainance issues or anything like that. Do you think the kx is a good transition bike coming off an xr100, is the power manageable for a beginning rider?

Go for it! Those two stroke 85s are snappy but if he can wring the neck of the 100, he shouldn't have too much trouble converting his skills to a two stroke.

I wouldn't take him into a tight single track to test it but I bet 1-2 days on it and he'll be fine. My younger cousin I ride with often just went from a TT-110 to a YZ85 got the hang of it fairly quickly

My kid also went from a 100 xr to a YZ85 and never looked back ,,over the years in retrospect I did him a disservice by even putting him on an xr should have had him on a 65 from day one he went from a pw50 to a ktm 50 to a ktm 65 to an xr 100 to a yz85 to a KTM 200 to a ktm 300

Picking it up tomorrow morning. 04, needs top end. 400 bucks....can't beat that.

You might find it needs more than a top end. But its still a good price.

CRF/XR100 to an 85 is an ideal transition, his 100 taught him the clutch and gears, with the 85 he will really refine his skills.

• Like 1

You were right. Got it home, went through the bucket of parts....yes...everything was in buckets. Lower end inspection revealed a solid lower end with relatively new hot rods crank and rod. Missing miscellaneous parts, nothing major. 280 dollars in parts ordered so hopefully I won't come upon too many things upon assembly. Fun part is going to be jetting...there's carb parts missing...needle for one, and I noticed it has a rad valve..also missing air filter and cage. I'm sure jetting is going to be exciting.

• Like 1

Hopefully stuff gets here in decent time and I can get this thing put together and running. His rear wheel on the xr has seen enough of him jumping. Spokes are destroyed and breaking in record numbers. If I get this one going soon enough I can get the xr back up to par...haven't decided to keep it for a mess around bike or unload it to recoup some money yet.

• Like 1

got to messing around with it today and couldnt get it to shift....split the cases since i was gonna do new crank bearings anyway...3rd gear was grenaded and in about 5 pieces. also cracked part of the right case internaly. more parts ordered....still in the green on parts and the bike though...so im still happy.

• Like 2

got to messing around with it today and couldnt get it to shift....split the cases since i was gonna do new crank bearings anyway...3rd gear was grenaded and in about 5 pieces. also cracked part of the right case internaly. more parts ordered....still in the green on parts and the bike though...so im still happy.

I fell your pain, I drove up about 3 hours to look at a TTR 125 after work, by the time I got there it was pretty dark. Motor was out of the frame, looked fairly complete. Paid $350 canadian. Got it it home, noticed a cracked case. No big deal. Frame had a bolt welded in as a brace. I have no idea how I missed that :doh:

$400ish later and a new frame, I should have it all together this week ?

I fell your pain, I drove up about 3 hours to look at a TTR 125 after work, by the time I got there it was pretty dark. Motor was out of the frame, looked fairly complete. Paid $350 canadian. Got it it home, noticed a cracked case. No big deal. Frame had a bolt welded in as a brace. I have no idea how I missed that :doh:

$400ish later and a new frame, I should have it all together this week ?

this one was 4 hours away. seems all of the "deals" are usually 3-4 hours away. stl craigslist is usually a joke when it comes to pricing. everyone thinks their stuff is made of gold.

this one was 4 hours away. seems all of the "deals" are usually 3-4 hours away. stl craigslist is usually a joke when it comes to pricing. everyone thinks their stuff is made of gold.

Canadian prices are usually really rough. I can sell this bike for an easy $1400ish when I'm done playing with it. 

Well, I guess you can make it a father son thing to fix the new bike.

I've bought not running bikes before and the more you look, the more is broken.

But you know everything is Top Notch once its back together ?

Oh it runs...it runs it's ass off...lol. spunky little bike. I'm not up to snuff on 85s as I've never had one but I'm 209lbs, it pulls the front wheel up in gears without bar yanking

It's got a hot rods crank, I don't know if it's a stroker crank or not..didn't measure it.