VIDEO - Power in a Box

It is awesome that now-a-days you can get power delivered to your post office box :D

:cheers:

ok...

now can you inform us on the lectron carb?

where did you buy?

price?

your opinion?

have you ridden a fcr39 drz? (for comparison)

thanks

ok...

now can you inform us on the lectron carb?

where did you buy?

price?

your opinion?

have you ridden a fcr39 drz? (for comparison)

thanks

I bought it direct from Lectron for $375 plus tax and shipping to Canada.  I saw an add in the Traction eRag, here is the link to the issues:

www.tractionerag.ca

click on the latest issue and the add is on Page 89.  Also note you get a free metering rod adjustment tool if you mention you saw their add in the eRag.  That mag is great for scoring deals I have found.

My opinion - OMG!!!!!!  I had that CV carb dialed in perfectly with a FMF Snap, and it was just sick compared to the way it is now.  The throttle response is the way it should be, wack and your tire spins.  Wack in third, tire spins.  Bloody brilliant!!!  It was the easiest carb to install that I have worked on.  I had the carb, pipe, and silencer in, plus cutting the air box in just under three hours and that was with the "help" of my seven yr old son.  The carb came set up from Lectron to the specs that I gave them - my elevation and mods, it is is spot on.  I have just had to play a bit with the idle and air screw because our temperature and humidity is so moody up here, but I am totally confidant I will get it to a happy spot.  The next test I want to do with it is to see how it handles elevation, I live at 500 meters and want to hit the alpine at 1600 meters if I can this weekend.  Then a rip to the ocean to test the sea level side of things is in order too.

I have never ridden a DRZ with the FCR but I installed one on my DR 650 years ago.  The pro's to the Lectron over the FCR for me is the single throttle cable (converts from the push pull) plus the no jetting issue.  That metering rod is really cool, basically a poor man's fuel injection.  I am looking forward to testing it over temperature and elevation variations.  I ride in the winter here as well, so that will give it a good temperature test.

The ease that the Lectron went in was actually kinda insane.

The only down side I have so far on the Lectron is that the choke is hard to reach, it is tucked in on the right side of the carb, but I have big fat fingers.....

Would I buy again??

Hell ya!!!!!

Edited by bchunter
  • Like 3

It is awesome that now-a-days you can get power delivered to your post office box :D

Nice! thanks for the vid & info here. I've been researching these for my 2T for the last month & actually had one in my "cart" last week but wanted to read more reviews & performance stats. I was surprised at the reasonable cost. Your bike sounds really smooth with that carb  ?

• Like 1

Did some research, a very old post by Eddie states he was not found of them. Again it was like 5 years ago when he posted this, he didn't say why so we don't know if it was a personal issue or actually inferior to the Mikuni. It's no doubt a lot like the exhaust wars, some like the Yosh, others swear SSW. If it works for you awesome, not all of us ring our bikes out going down the interstate. For the price point, def worth a try, someone else please be the guinea pig!  ?

@bchunter hey man!!! nice set up you got there im from bc aswell but i have a SM instead of the S, would you recommend the carb you use for street riding?

also where did u get the FMF exhaust? damn conversion from CAD - USD is killing me :( a 400USD = 600CAD so im looking to see if i can get a exhaust locally without spending over

500CAD. also the carb you bought seems pretty cheap compared to fcr. 375 vs 599 is a big diff but are the differences big enough to go from 375 to 599?

Hey guys, sorry for the delay in getting back to the questions, busy night last night ?

I went home and dug out my invoice for the carb and realized that I misquoted the price of the carb in my previous post.  I forgot that the $375 price in the eRag was for the 2T carbs, the 4T carb was $440, then I bought some extra throttle cables ect ect ect, plus shipping and Canada rip off duty tax ect ect ect, you guys get the picture.

@Kx250FRiDeR651 - The carb I went with was a 36 mm power jet carb.  Like I said, I told the guys at Lectron what I ride and how I ride and they set it bang on for me.  Very easy peasy.

@RuckRider - The question of if this carb is good for your SM is totally up to you.  For me, all I care about is throttle response.  HP is not in my thoughts for upgrades, I just want the bike to do exactly what I want it it to do at the given time.  If the throttle stalls or falters while I am tring to clear something, I get cranky. If this is a concern for you on the road, then I would look at a mechanical carb of some flavor.  I don't really notice the benefit on the road as much in the dirt though.  And as for the FMF goodies, ebay was my friend.  I kept trolling till I found the best deal and hit the buy button.  But you are right, with the conversion right now, it is painful to cross border shop.

I have run FCR's and TM's before, no issues with either carbs at all.  Even this CV I had it down quite nicely.  The CV on the DR 650 was so horrible though, I was very happy to put the FCR on that bike.  Seeing as how I have tried the other carbs, I thought why not try something new?  I love the idea of jetless, the guys at Lectorn have been great to deal with, I love to try different things so this just fit right in.  But then again I have gone through 12 different rear tires to find the one I love right now, so I am not adverse to change and to trying new things.  This carb has been on my bike for a hair over a week and I am loving it.  In the end, that is all that matters.  Like you saw in the end of my video, I was all thumbs up.  What you did not see was the big poop eating grin on my face :D

Thanks for all the great comments on the vid.  I like to wrench, I like to ride, and I like to make vids.  Glad you guys enjoyed it!!

Edited by bchunter
  • Like 2

Nice video!

Good to see people are trying different options rather than fcr with good results.

After reading this post i decide to hit up Lectron to get more info on the lectron carb for drz. This is what i get emailed.

Yes we have complete kit available for DRZ400's. The kit includes Lectron

power jet 4 stroke carburetor, intake manifold, throttle, cable and Dyno

tested.

The kit cost 569. We have 36mm, 38mm and 40mm carbs for that bike. The most

common is our 36mm for most bikes and 38mm for HP and ported bikes.

Please let us know how we can help.

Thank you,

Thank you,

Kevin Gilham

President

Lectron Fuel Systems

4535 Southwinds Drive

Lorena, TX 76655

254-857-3828 / Fax 254-857-9739

www.lectronfuelsystems.com / kevin@lectronfuelsystems.com

Heres also a short youtube clip from the drz getting dyno tested @ Lectron.

Doesnt show up any numbers but they said a 18% powergains were obtained.

• Like 1

I wonder how well they hold up over time. The slide in the FCRs ride on nice little rollers, and the wear parts, the vacuum release plate / seal are replaceable. I wonder how the Lectron carb's slide is sealed, and supported in the body of the carb. From their parts diagram, it appears the slide is just metal on metal with the carb body. Even if the slide is hard anodized, I can't see it giving the service life of the equivalent FCR. The top pull throttle cable is nice tho - it eliminates any  possibility of worn throttle shaft bushings or seal leaks.

@RuckRider - The question of if this carb is good for your SM is totally up to you.  For me, all I care about is throttle response.  HP is not in my thoughts for upgrades, I just want the bike to do exactly what I want it it to do at the given time.  If the throttle stalls or falters while I am tring to clear something, I get cranky. If this is a concern for you on the road, then I would look at a mechanical carb of some flavor.  I don't really notice the benefit on the road as much in the dirt though.  And as for the FMF goodies, ebay was my friend.  I kept trolling till I found the best deal and hit the buy button.  But you are right, with the conversion right now, it is painful to cross border shop.

i know damn do you have the full fmf exhaust with the power bomb header? or just the slip on? im torn between the yoshi rs-2 full exhaust or the fmf power core with the power bomb header. how big of a diff is the fmf from stock?

I have a 38mm lectron ready to go on an old KX250. My impression from my research is they are good for on and off throttle applications like racing. Some reviews I have read say they lean out on part throttle applications which is no good on a two stroke. I am looking at 40mm one on eBay at the moment.

• Like 1