Sign in to follow this  

Lightest slip on exhaust for 500EXC?

Looking for weight savings and thinking about swapping out stock muffler. NOT interested in anything considerably louder and HP gain is not important, just want lightweight.

Does anyone know how much stock muffler weighs?

How much does the mufler you suggest weigh?

In swapping out muffler does engine have to be remapped?

Thanks!

Not a direct answer to your question, but you would probably save more weight, and spend less money swapping the stock lead battery for a lithium battery. And the weight is even higher up on the bike than the exhaust.

• Like 3

Not a direct answer to your question, but you would probably save more weight, and spend less money swapping the stock lead battery for a lithium battery. And the weight is even higher up on the bike than the exhaust.

really? I thought the stock muffler just "looked" heavy. Interesting. Do you suggest any specific battery make/ model? How much less do they weigh?

As I recall, there was a thread on this recently, and the weight for the stock exhasut wasn't that much different than any of the aftermarkets.

Battery was the way to go ...

• Like 2

what make model would you suggest for best weight savings on KTM 500 EXC?

I put a FMF titanium 4.1 slip on spark arrestor on my '15 500exc and it was 1.5lbs lighter than the stock muffler. I also changed my battery to a Shorai lithium battery.

may i ask why you didnt go for the RTC SL (blue one) from FMF? same price as titanium but 1/2 lb lighter?

i just got a bdsb end cap. 150 bucks and 1.5 lbs lighter then the stock end cap

Does the stock end cap even weigh 1.5#? Can you show them on a fish scale or something?

Does the stock end cap even weigh 1.5#? Can you show them on a fish scale or something?

Do they make fish scales that measure 1.5 Ibs? Wouldn't be keeper.

• Like 1

Do they make fish scales that measure 1.5 Ibs? Wouldn't be keeper.

OK you got me on that one.. But I'm not buying 1.5# savings until I see it on a scale. ;)

may i ask why you didnt go for the RTC SL (blue one) from FMF? same price as titanium but 1/2 lb lighter?

Wasn't in stock when I bought it and I was on my way to Moab.

I used a bathroom scale to measure the 1.5lb difference which wouldn't be considered very accurate but I don't have access to any commercial scale and not going to bother taking it off the bike again to weight it.