Sign in to follow this  

Riding Schedule Sucks! Saddle time needed!

Does anyone else have this issue?

The fact is I'm keeping "C" rider status due to not getting enough saddle time. My body is in fairly good shape. But riding skills are lacking. It's a fact of life that almost all guys that race successfully get a lot of saddle time. With the exception of someone like Dick Burlson who can just swing a leg over a bike and win races with zero riding experience.

Back in the early to mid 2000's I was well on my way to getting good in the District 37 desert races. I even placed a few times in the top ten of my class and got a first place in a national H&H. I then went in the other direction and have decided to learn more slow speed riding in really hard terrain. Desert racing is just not for me. I simply don't have the balls to hold the throttle open when the going gets rough. You see guys like Nick Burson and it's amazing that he can hit 3' whoops, basketball size rocks and G-outs at over 60mph without missing a beat!

Dave Turner at Get Dirty is another one. Even in his 50's he is a real threat when he enters a race. He is a another guy that just rides a lot. 

I'm unable to ride the next month and a half due to a crazy 6 day on 1 day off work schedule. So it's hit the gym after work and at least prep my body for the upcoming torture of extreme rides. The good news is my endurance is normally pretty damn good. I'm just frustrated that I can't ride as much as I would like.

The one advantage I have over most is being able to ride sick miles without a break. When doing my yearly single track in Kennedy Meadows most of the guys crap out after just a half day of riding. I'm normally good from sunup to sundown. Slow as shit but steady. At least that's something.....

• Like 1

I think we are all pretty much in the same rowboat! Never enough time for sure!

I work doing field engineering, and am now stuck in Portland Oregon, 3 weeks on, one week off, sucks big time. Considering bringing my Beta up here for the winter and next spring.

Going home this weekend to install new rubber and prep it for fall, LT Racing has my suspension for freshening presently, hoping to ride 3 weekends out of the month up here, hoping at least. We gotta stay positive!!

• Like 2

I'm ok now with getting riding time but it's been in between a bunch of health issue breaks where I've not been able to ride for up to 6 months..and at the low side maybe a month. Even so my world still goes around my younger daughters swimming schedule my wifes work schedule and other older family members ..  . I'm lucky that my main ride area is very close to my house so I can actually get away and ride even for a couple of hours.. but even then i have to find another rider as it's  a bit dangerous going alone.. I have a circle of friends that pretty much have similar obligations and time constraints.. we just call and check on a regular basis on if we can ride or not.. Most times we can't pull it off but now there is a bigger circle of friends that I call and sometimes I don't get anyone to ride with for a couple of weeks and sometimes I get to ride a few times a week. It's hit or miss.. It's just do what you can and be creative in figuring out riding time..At least it's not like surfers that need waves to ride. We can just ride. It's always a game.. calling friends..texting and facebooking .. Guys put up"Who's down for friday morning?" .. Then guys respond slowly or fast and later guys drop in or out of the ride time.. the riding gang list fluctuates a bit and still it comes down to who shows up that morning... or afternoon.. or whenever time. So I can check a variety of groups of riders with some overlapping and knowing others.. more chances of a ride.. You may even think of an early morning session or night.. if you can find someone to ride.. It's not easy though.. but all of it is relative. last year when I was in the hospital i was holding my ass thinking the doctor might say it's not a good idea for me to ride anymore.. So now every ride means that much more..even the foofoo ones. :ride:

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 2

I hear you on that. I work in Saudi Arabia 28 days on 28 days off. Living in Canada with my rotation, there are only a few hitches off I can ride before winter kicks in. Gotta keep my wife and 2 young daughters happy too in the meantime when I'm home. But I ride when I can and love it. I have had 2 stroke dirt bikers blood since around 1978. I will always have the blood, but now days I have to be a little more cautious as I don't want to get laid up or injured bad as I have my responsibilities. I remember watching the movie "Ben Hur" in my early 30s, and as Caesar was waving to his thousands of cheering admirers, his religious advisor whispered in his ear, "Remember, thou arth mortal". The first time I thought about that saying again, I was 35 years old and still in my wild days, and I was passing a semi at 100+mph in a raging rain storm with my BMW 650 Dakar, hydo-plaining and getting wind gusted around, just so I could get home to party and chase my wife when we were first dating. Pretty much the only time I ever have that thought now days is when I am on a bike pushing the limits but hey, gotta live a little too. It's been over 3 weeks since I've been home & rode my 300, another week till I get home, then a week holidays with family before their school starts, then I'll get to ride. Yay :ride: .       

• Like 1

I'm ok now with getting riding time but it's been in between a bunch of health issue breaks where I've not been able to ride for up to 6 months..and at the low side maybe a month. Even so my world still goes around my younger daughters swimming schedule my wifes work schedule and other older family members ..  . I'm lucky that my main ride area is very close to my house so I can actually get away and ride even for a couple of hours.. but even then i have to find another rider as it's  a bit dangerous going alone.. I have a circle of friends that pretty much have similar obligations and time constraints.. we just call and check on a regular basis on if we can ride or not.. Most times we can't pull it off but now there is a bigger circle of friends that I call and sometimes I don't get anyone to ride with for a couple of weeks and sometimes I get to ride a few times a week. It's hit or miss.. It's just do what you can and be creative in figuring out riding time..At least it's not like surfers that need waves to ride. We can just ride. It's always a game.. calling friends..texting and facebooking .. Guys put up"Who's down for friday morning?" .. Then guys respond slowly or fast and later guys drop in or out of the ride time.. the riding gang list fluctuates a bit and still it comes down to who shows up that morning... or afternoon.. or whenever time. So I can check a variety of groups of riders with some overlapping and knowing others.. more chances of a ride.. You may even think of an early morning session or night.. if you can find someone to ride.. It's not easy though.. but all of it is relative. last year when I was in the hospital i was holding my ass thinking the doctor might say it's not a good idea for me to ride anymore.. So now every ride means that much more..even the foofoo ones. :ride:

You bring up some points that plague most of us, finding the proverbial riding partner. While you got a good system or so it sounds.

But for myself 80% of my rides in the last 4 years have been by myself. I blame it on a weird work schedule. Many times I'll go to a more open riding area and there are lots of riders around, just in case I have an issue. 

But living some of the time at home for me, which is tucked away up in the Sierra's there is killer riding, but I'm always holding back, going much slower than if I was riding in a group. As none of us have the desire to crash and be a mountain lions next meal, lol!

Making the time available is up to us, and I push this aspect of keeping and making time available in my life is something always on my mind.

Though, I think a good system of letting other riders in our respected areas know that we are looking for a trail partner on certain days would be a killer "app" for many of us!

• Like 1

You bring up some points that plague most of us, finding the proverbial riding partner. While you got a good system or so it sounds.

But for myself 80% of my rides in the last 4 years have been by myself. I blame it on a weird work schedule. Many times I'll go to a more open riding area and there are lots of riders around, just in case I have an issue. 

But living some of the time at home for me, which is tucked away up in the Sierra's there is killer riding, but I'm always holding back, going much slower than if I was riding in a group. As none of us have the desire to crash and be a mountain lions next meal, lol!

Making the time available is up to us, and I push this aspect of keeping and making time available in my life is something always on my mind.

Though, I think a good system of letting other riders in our respected areas know that we are looking for a trail partner on certain days would be a killer "app" for many of us!

yea it's more dangerous being eaten by a big cat than me hanging out with mosquitoes and pigs in the mountain.  ..and it's been a long work in progress as far as a system of riding with buddies and having anyone that would have a clue about where to possibly look and get me in case i ever got hurt in a trail somewhere.. cell phone coverage isn't very good either.. but yeah an app for a bunch of friends/riders for a search party would be good. I have come across a rider a month or so ago that slept in the mountains overnight.. even though it's not that far in.. in miles.. when it's dark the trees cover and you can't see shit let alone ride. He was (to me) riding with some idiots that didn't care for him and left him. When it gets late it's especially time to be careful. i've gone up to look for friends in trails in the middle of the night. it's hairy sometimes.. especially when it's raining in technical stuff.. and it's  just too dark.. Sounds like you have to be much more careful than I do. I've toyed with getting a sat phone..but it's expensive and I'm not that far.. or a SPOT but the coverage for spot in hawaii isn't supposed to be good.

• Like 1

My hurdles are night shifts that have no consistent pattern from week to week. The only time I can plan something is a scheduled vacation. Riding partners is another issue , I have ridden with several people from the forums with mixed results but at least I'm out with others. I can do some riding near home but I resigned from the street long time ago. Local mountains are up to an hour traffic street to get to with no guarantee the gates are open. Family and chores leave little time to really enjoy and get back to a riding level that actually mirrors my experience. I take rides alone, much like my plans next week but have to stay to fire roads or short trail runs, not ideal but I'm going riding. Raised on the buddy system but ran out of buddies ! So lack of saddle time and a mentally draining office job SUCKS ! I need to get back to the gym and stop sleeping ! Maybe sick days to go riding. Sorry sitting here crying in my cherrios , Chris started it.

• Like 1

My hurdles are night shifts that have no consistent pattern from week to week. The only time I can plan something is a scheduled vacation. Riding partners is another issue , I have ridden with several people from the forums with mixed results but at least I'm out with others. I can do some riding near home but I resigned from the street long time ago. Local mountains are up to an hour traffic street to get to with no guarantee the gates are open. Family and chores leave little time to really enjoy and get back to a riding level that actually mirrors my experience. I take rides alone, much like my plans next week but have to stay to fire roads or short trail runs, not ideal but I'm going riding. Raised on the buddy system but ran out of buddies ! So lack of saddle time and a mentally draining office job SUCKS ! I need to get back to the gym and stop sleeping ! Maybe sick days to go riding. Sorry sitting here crying in my cherrios , Chris started it.

I too work nights! I'm having a rough time hitting the gym after my failed Big Bear Run experience. I don't mean to act like a downer. I guess I just needed some reassurance that there are others like me that have obligations other than riding. 

Though, I think a good system of letting other riders in our respected areas know that we are looking for a trail partner on certain days would be a killer "app" for many of us 

yea it's more dangerous being eaten by a big cat than me hanging out with mosquitoes and pigs in the mountain.  ..and it's been a long work in progress as far as a system of riding with buddies and having anyone that would have a clue about where to possibly look and get me in case i ever got hurt in a trail somewhere.. cell phone coverage isn't very good either.. but yeah an app for a bunch of friends/riders for a search party would be good. I have come across a rider a month or so ago that slept in the mountains overnight.. even though it's not that far in.. in miles.. when it's dark the trees cover and you can't see shit let alone ride. He was (to me) riding with some idiots that didn't care for him and left him. When it gets late it's especially time to be careful. i've gone up to look for friends in trails in the middle of the night. it's hairy sometimes.. especially when it's raining in technical stuff.. and it's  just too dark.. Sounds like you have to be much more careful than I do. I've toyed with getting a sat phone..but it's expensive and I'm not that far.. or a SPOT but the coverage for spot in hawaii isn't supposed to be good.

Solo is about all I do these days. Finding weekday riding buddies is hard.I do like the fact I'm plated and can hit fire roads which are better than nothing. I have a few remote places I solo that are less than 10 mile hike from the truck in case I break down.  I carry my SPOT with me at all times when riding.

• Like 1

Sad part of the gym thing as I've had a membership for awhile , just lack of motivation and they close in the middle of the night which is my afternoon, so what's the deal with 24 hour fitness , be open 24 hours ! Crap cherrios are soggy again .

• Like 2

Sad part of the gym thing as I've had a membership for awhile , just lack of motivation and they close in the middle of the night which is my afternoon, so what's the deal with 24 hour fitness , be open 24 hours ! Crap cherrios are soggy again .

I hear that. My local 24hr Fitness is open 24 hrs. A lot of them have been closing early. And it's really hard to get motivated after a 12hr shift at 0300. I find that if you can just get in the door your on your way to a good workout.

I'm fortunate to be able to ride every day. The trail head is few minutes away so it's really convenient. Having 2 sons that still live at home and 1 that lives next story, I can always find a riding partner. I will not ride alone off road, past experiences have taught me thats the wisest choice. 

I've struggled to find riding time as well. New bike, new to the sport, and it's killing me that I can't ride multiple times a week, I just want to get out there and get better. I may just start riding to work so I can spend time on the bike. 

• Like 1