Sign in to follow this  

Above and beyond

This past weekend I got a call from a acquaintance who bought a used CRF 250. It was a impulse buy, but the timing was right and so was the price (not sure exactly)

Since we live in town with no MX stores, he did not have any gear, but wanted to jet out. I had to work this past weekend, so I was out of the mix, but lent him my gear, I have a few pair of boots, a spare helmet and pants.

He was very appreciated and wanted to give me something for lending my gear to him, but I just said its all good! I do not mind helping new riders out ! he had a great time and wants to clean and dry out my stuff I lent him (he got a bit wet and muddy) Since I have a few pairs of everything I told him to keep it until he gets around to buy his own stuff...

What have you guys done to go above and beyond to help out another fellow rider? mine was not much at all, but I rather make a buddy I can ride with for a long time, then hear about an accident where someone got hurt from not having some basic gear.

Edited by soupysocks
  • Like 4

I think is something we all pass along, when I started my friend lent me chest protector, knee pads and straps, and I always saw that around my group of friends that ride , so I always do the same, even every time I get something new for my bike I tend to keep all the parts and gear that somehow can be safe and useful for new riders to use.

We all know how expensive this sport can be, specially when starting fresh when buying the basic gear can be around $500.

• Like 2

I usually just sell spare gear on parts on CL.  I've made a tidy sum off doing that in the past.

what used gear is in the most high demand that you noticed?

what used gear is in the most high demand that you noticed?

Boots.  I've sold 2 pairs in the past couple months, a pair of Answers and a pair of AStars.

• Like 1

This past weekend I got a call from a acquaintance who bought a used CRF 250. It was a impulse buy, but the timing was right and so was the price (not sure exactly)

Since we live in town with no MX stores, he did not have any gear, but wanted to jet out. I had to work this past weekend, so I was out of the mix, but lent him my gear, I have a few pair of boots, a spare helmet and pants.

He was very appreciated and wanted to give me something for lending my gear to him, but I just said its all good! I do not mind helping new riders out ! he had a great time and wants to clean and dry out my stuff I lent him (he got a bit wet and muddy) Since I have a few pairs of everything I told him to keep it until he gets around to buy his own stuff...

What have you guys done to go above and beyond to help out another fellow rider? mine was not much at all, but I rather make a buddy I can ride with for a long time, then hear about an accident where someone got hurt from not having some basic gear.

Last night, on the way home from work, I got a call from a kid that I sold my XR650L to.  He told me that he was starting a new job in the morning and his bike (the 650), his only transportation, stopped running.  He took it to a local bike shop who told him that it needed a new top end, bottom end and carb.  Shop guy told him that it wasn't worth the investment and he should just sell him the bike cheap to keep for parts.

Being skeptical, he called me and asked me to look at the bike.  I agreed.  (A little back story on this kid... two summers ago, I was roofing my garage on a 95 degree day.  I was totally exhausted but needed to finish one side before the rain came in.  He was walking past my house and saw me struggling and climbed the ladder, grabbed some shingles and took the gun out of my hand and finished the roof... with no expectation of pay.  That's a good dude in my book.  Never talked to him before, but he knew that I had bikes and he loved bikes. He earned free help from me whenever he needs it)

When I got home, there was my old bike.  Less than 10 minutes later, he showed up because he saw I was home.  We took off the carb and noticed that the choke slide was gummed so bad it wouldn't come out.  A little PB Blaster and it was free.  We cleaned the carb, checked the oil and sent him off on a test ride.  It ran as good as the day I sold it to him.  The crook at the bike shop was trying to steal this bike from a naive kid.

A few days ago a fellow rider came to my door asking for a KX100 spark plug so his daughter could finish riding for the day... otherwise her day was over.  I had one, and in 10 minutes there was a fast and happy girl ripping around the lot they were riding in. 

I always help other riders.  I learned it from my brother who helps anyone and everyone at the trailhead.

• Like 10

I wouldn't call it above and beyond but If someone needs oil, gas, spark plugs etc I'm always happy to give them some with no return pay. I just hope if I ever run out of something or forget it then they would be willing to return the favour.

I do lots for other riders. On regular TT, mostly advice, a few contests and in Team they get to see naked photos of me... They love it!

• Like 3

For the last two seasons I've given my gear away to someone who either doesn't have any or has stuff that is dated/doesn't fit. Last year I gave mine to a 13 year old kid, and I think his mom was more excited than he was :lol:

Well, I guess I didn't just give them, she gave me a couple pounds of potatoes from her garden in return :smirk:

• Like 2

For the last two seasons I've given my gear away to someone who either doesn't have any or has stuff that is dated/doesn't fit. Last year I gave mine to a 13 year old kid, and I think his mom was more excited than he was :lol:

Well, I guess I didn't just give them, she gave me a couple pounds of potatoes from her garden in return :smirk:

what did you give the kid, a dirt bike? lol

Edited by soupysocks

Pants/Jersey/Gloves from the previous season.

Pants/Jersey/Gloves from the previous season.

that is much more appropriate and legal than what Monk would have given lol jk

Gave a kid a used tire, new tube, and mounted it for free. The kid was a new rider and obviously didn't know much about bikes.

I rebuilt a kids carb and taught him about fixing bikes, worked with him to fix the bike up to ridable quality, mostly

A couple weeks ago I went down second corner of the first moto, broke my clutch lever and though I was out for the day

My buddies dad gave me a spare perch and lever he had in his box, helped me finish my day. That stuck with me, generous person

• Like 1

I was once riding out on a trail with the rest of my family,and it's raining terribly, like a monsoon, and we are completely drenched. We finally get to the river and the group in front of us had started a fire and left it for us. We knew that there were some other riders behind, so I gathered wood for them and kept the fire going till they made it down the trail, and then we left. Came back the same way a few hours later and another group was using it.

I am such a nice guy that when I got a used 450 that had a rekluse clutch installed, I let my short buddie ride it.

I already had it running and in gear waiting for him. Well in his struggle to get on with his short little legs he hit the throttle and took off crashing about 10 ft away.

I swear I told him it was in gear!

• Like 1

Will she be cooking them taters for you next year?? Lol

Just to keep my 15 year-old cousin in the sport. I tuned up his CRF80 and got it sold for twice what his dad thought it was worth. They had been wanting to sell the 80 for the past 3 years, but showed no initiative to get it done. Used the money from that and bought a seized yz125 setup for trail riding. Rebuilt it completely bottom to top. Gave it to him and took him riding for 3 days. Unfortunately he is a quiet kid and never verbally said thank you, but I know that if someone did that for me when I was his age I would have shit a brick!