Sign in to follow this  

rear wheel steering

KXF's have been known as a rear wheel steering bike!Could someone explain how one sets up for a corner steering with rear wheel? thanks!

• Like 1

Means you use the rear break and the throttle to turn the bike. and I think they are reffering to Ryan's style of supercross turns, not the way the bike its self handles

• Like 1

First you need integrate a Turbo Encabulator into your transmission.  This is key to enabling rear wheel steering.   More here...

Edited by Blutarsky
  • Like 3

Rear wheel steering was more popular on 2 strokes but it's still an important technique on 4 strokes as well. There has to be a relatively smooth surface, no ruts and not too bumpy. While entering the corner the rear brake is used hard enough to drift slide into the corner (back it in so to speak). Then at the transition (going from braking to accelerating) you come off the brakes and onto the clutch and throttle hard enough to power slide out of the corner. So it's brake slide in - power slide out. During this time the front wheel is counter steering.

This and much more about cornering is explained and shown in detail in my "Motocross Corner Speed - Beyond the Basics" DVD or stream. See a free preview and order the DVD or stream online. Thumper Talk members can use the code TTGSMXS58 to receive 10% off.

Join the thousands of riders who have improved from my teaching methods including McGrath and Villopoto. 

Gary & Ryan home page.jpg
GS and MC 1996 2.jpg
VO2 DVD #4 cover.jpg

Rear wheel steering was more popular on 2 strokes but it's still an important technique on 4 strokes as well. There has to be a relatively smooth surface, no ruts and not too bumpy. While entering the corner the rear brake is used hard enough to drift slide into the corner (back it in so to speak). Then at the transition (going from braking to accelerating) you come off the brakes and onto the clutch and throttle hard enough to power slide out of the corner. So it's brake slide in - power slide out. During this time the front wheel is counter steering.

This and much more about cornering is explained and shown in detail in my "Motocross Corner Speed - Beyond the Basics" DVD or stream. See a free preview and order the DVD or stream online. Thumper Talk members can use the code TTGSMXS58 to receive 10% off.

Join the thousands of riders who have improved from my teaching methods including McGrath and Villopoto.

Gary, that's one of your best DVD's. I've watched it dozens of times. It's helped me a ton, cut my lap times quite a bit. Rutted corners was where I would lose some time, now that's where I make up the time.

• Like 1