Sign in to follow this  

Anyone switching?

Anyone switching from the stock Bridgestone's? I find them hard to beat as I have gone through a few sets and have not had a tire wear or chunk abnormally. I have not run another tire for quite some time now with the exception of the x30 which I got to demo. However it is stupid expensive for a tire so I am not even considering another one since no one around here stocks them and I don't get a discount on them. Even switched on my Yz's from the mx31/51 combo and prefer the Bridgestones over those, even though I never thought I would find a better combo.  

Need to order a new set and since I haven't run anything different in a while I don't even know what is out there. IDK if compounds have changes, if there are new tires out there, anything of the sort. I had trouble with the Dunlops chunking pretty badly in the past but don't know if they have addressed that issue or not. 

If you haven't yet, give michelin a try. I rate them highly, pick you're flavour for the conditions. They have just released thier new light weight tyres.

Edited by Rotaholic

A friend is giving me one of those Dunlop sand paddles, and I am looking forward to trying it.

Is the x30 that muche more expensive than the old ones say from rocky Mountain? ??

Someone gave me a nice mx32 Dunlop 120 rear and it wore really quick.

I would like to see how the modern 120 back tires compare in weight... I think one of the mags said the x30 was heavier than the Dunlop mx32.

It's a bummer you gave to buy a set of tires to get a deal now.

Honestly I'd run the Dunlop mx 32s. Best tire I've ever ridden on. Lasts longer than the bridgestones and way better grip from hard to soft terrain

Michelin rears are very good, the old MS3 is probably the best soft terrain tyre I've used. It even holds up okay in hardpack conditions. The old MH3 is also a great tyre if you ride mainly harder surfaces. I run MS3 for winter and MH3 for summer, they very, very rarely chunk. (I say old because I haven't tried their new tyres yet)

Never been keen on Michelin fronts though, that's where I use Dunlops

• Like 1

Michelin every time. Can't wait to try the new starcross 5 tires. The ms3 is excellent in every terrain I've ridden- hardpack, loamy soil, sand, rocky. The front tire is very confidence inspiring.

I just picked up the Michelin StarCross MS3.

So far it is awesome. Is great in the mud, soft dirt, rock hills and trails.

I read that Michelin is about to release a StarCross 5, it got great review by the magazines, they say it light years ahead of the current StarCross line. I plan to get a set and find out for myself.

Edited by rraiderr

Well since Bridgestone decided to discontinue (or whatever happened) the 403 front I will be switching back to Dunlops I suppose. Do you guys prefer the 32 or 52 for deep loam with minimal hard pack spots mixed in on the worst days? The shop gives me my discount... not a specific tire brand so I had Bridgestone and Dunlops to choose from. I've been running the Bridgestones since I bought the RMZ because I thought they were really good. 

I used to run a 31 front, 51 rear combo but the 51 left a little to be desired for the majority of the day when the track is at its best. It did well towards the end of the day when things dried up a little from the loam being pushed out. Thinking 32's on both ends since the majority of the day our tracks stay really nice? A little insight would be helpful.

Run a 71 Dunlop all around set up and you'll love it. Dunlop discontinued the mx71 rear so a new one is selling for 60$ shipped on motosport the 71's hook like glue and don't wear at all I had one on my crf450 and did at least 15 concrete starts and the tire was barley rounded

Well since Bridgestone decided to discontinue (or whatever happened) the 403 front I will be switching back to Dunlops I suppose. Do you guys prefer the 32 or 52 for deep loam with minimal hard pack spots mixed in on the worst days? The shop gives me my discount... not a specific tire brand so I had Bridgestone and Dunlops to choose from. I've been running the Bridgestones since I bought the RMZ because I thought they were really good. 

I used to run a 31 front, 51 rear combo but the 51 left a little to be desired for the majority of the day when the track is at its best. It did well towards the end of the day when things dried up a little from the loam being pushed out. Thinking 32's on both ends since the majority of the day our tracks stay really nice? A little insight would be helpful.

I currently run the 32 in the front and the 52 in the rear.  The 32 front is WAY better than the 52 on every dirt condition I've tried it on.  The 52 rear lasts longer than the 32 to rear and seems to be a bit better all around than the 32 (except for loamy stuff).

I will absolutely run the 32 front. I was asking more about the rear. Everything I ride is loamy... think I would be better off trying the 32 first? Wear is not really an issue as I can get them at a great price. 

Run a 71 Dunlop all around set up and you'll love it. Dunlop discontinued the mx71 rear so a new one is selling for 60$ shipped on motosport the 71's hook like glue and don't wear at all I had one on my crf450 and did at least 15 concrete starts and the tire was barley rounded

They don't work well in deep loam. I have used the 71 before. Put 10 mins on it and took it back off. 

They don't work well in deep loam. I have used the 71 before. Put 10 mins on it and took it back off.

I could see that happening we don't get deep loony tracks around here and if it is loamey its clay

We get so much rain here that they mix a TON of mulch and sand into the soil so the water soaks in instead of sitting on top. Even after the rare quad race do our tracks get hard pack. Luckily our tracks only let quads on them once or twice a year. Our dirt is really good at our popular tracks. 

• Like 1

We get so much rain here that they mix a TON of mulch and sand into the soil so the water soaks in instead of sitting on top. Even after the rare quad race do our tracks get hard pack. Luckily our tracks only let quads on them once or twice a year. Our dirt is really good at our popular tracks.

You would hate it down here I race a series that has just as many quad class's as bikes. Needless to say if you aren't one of the first 5 motos you are riding blue groove rest of the night. That and tn hear dries out tracks like none other