2003 Yz 250 Shifter won't come off

I recently bought a new shifter so I tried to take the old one off and it wouldn't come off? I removed the bolt from it and it's loose enough where I can make the shifter go vertical but it just won't come off. any ideas?

Spray some wd-40 on it and try to get a screw driver behind it to five a little pry. Then just keep wiggling it

Spray some wd-40 on it and try to get a screw driver behind it to five a little pry. Then just keep wiggling it

That's what I've been doing but I guess I'll try it again.

Just be careful of what the screw drivers prying against. Another thing I just remembered is stick a flat screw driver in the slot in the shifter and twist so its prying out and opening the shifter up bigger

Just be careful of what the screw drivers prying against. Another thing I just remembered is stick a flat screw driver in the slot in the shifter and twist so its prying out and opening the shifter up bigger

Thanks! I finally got it out

Keep the new one tight. If it keeps getting loose and wears out the splines quickly then next time you need to replace the shift shaft and the shift lever as a set. Recently did mine and they were each about $35. If you suspect the splines are worn on your shift shaft now it may be a consideration to replace it before the new lever goes on. A new set is sweet and stays tight.

Keep the new one tight. If it keeps getting loose and wears out the splines quickly then next time you need to replace the shift shaft and the shift lever as a set. Recently did mine and they were each about $35. If you suspect the splines are worn on your shift shaft now it may be a consideration to replace it before the new lever goes on. A new set is sweet and stays tight.

I put some loctite on the new one and made sure she wouldn't come loose, thanks!