Sign in to follow this  

Do I need to replate with a Wiseco Piston Kit?

1999 RM250. It's nearing top end time. According to the wiseco kit, it says replating or resleeve required. Is this actually the case, or is this liability prevention talking? Can I just slap in a new piston and rings, assuming my cylinder isn't obviously damged? It's running fine and started right up yesterday after sitting for a couple months.

1999 RM250. It's nearing top end time. According to the wiseco kit, it says replating or resleeve required. Is this actually the case, or is this liability prevention talking? Can I just slap in a new piston and rings, assuming my cylinder isn't obviously damged? It's running fine and started right up yesterday after sitting for a couple months.

If the cylinder is in spec, then you can put a new piston and ring (s) wrist pin, circlip etc in without replating. Replating is done when the cylinder is damaged or when it's been through enough top ends that it's no longer in spec. Many cast pistons can be purchased in incrementally larger sizes in order to compensate for marginally out of spec bore. 

Purchase a quality micrometer or take the jug to a machinist and get the measurements. Check your manual and determine clearance and go from there. 

• Like 1

as above, unless you are really good at measuring and have a bore gauge i would take it to a local shop and let them know you need a piston for your bore.

most if not all will measure it free if you order the piston from them.