KTM 150SX 2016

Any one else looking at  the 150SX? I the new design of the engine but it looks like they did not do any thing other than jam it in the 4-stroke frame. With all the redesign KTM has done it looks that the reconfigured 200-250-300 engines will come next year with the XCWs frame. I have a 105SX that I ride around the house and small track/trail but I'm now thinking it is time to take the next step up. Four stroke is too loud for the neighborhood  & I do not like the 300 and the 250 is only ok. The 200XCW is a great bike but a 150SX sounds like a fun next step &  Kailub Russell did very well on the last years model.

Any one else looking at the 150SX? I the new design of the engine but it looks like they did not do any thing other than jam it in the 4-stroke frame. With all the redesign KTM has done it looks that the reconfigured 200-250-300 engines will come next year with the XCWs frame. I have a 105SX that I ride around the house and small track/trail but I'm now thinking it is time to take the next step up. Four stroke is too loud for the neighborhood & I do not like the 300 and the 250 is only ok. The 200XCW is a great bike but a 150SX sounds like a fun next step & Kailub Russell did very well on the last years model.

Don't compare what Kalib Russell did to what you do. He is a professional, he is paid to race and he only rode the 150 AFTER he won the championship.

The 150 is a completely new bike. They added a few more HP and lightened the bike I think 4lbs over last year. That's quite a significant change considering the size motor and how light it already was.

As for the 250/300, 2017 looks to be the year for a new model. I would guess is will be lighter possibly more powerful then previous years. The SX/XC usually get the new chassis with the XCW seems to be a year behind...

Don't compare what Kalib Russell did to what you do. .

I agree , but also if it can be done on a 150 maybe do not need a 300.

Push bike on steroids with roid rage  :ride: . I want one!

JFYI. The CRF250's are pretty quiet. KTM200 is a better all round bike at the 150'sand as much fun to ride. There will be times on the 150 when you regret buying it as your only bike. Rest of the time you'd have sore cheeks from the ear to ear gin you'd have on your face though  :lol: .

I agree , but also if it can be done on a 150 maybe do not need a 300.

His 150 had factory suspension and a fairly tuned motor. He also weighs nothing, is in phenomenal shape and was a 2 time GNCC champion (soon to be 3rd). In his case it's not the bike, it's the rider.

But for most of us, riding a 150 is fairly demanding. They don't produce the torque a 300 produces or an easy to ride motor. The 250/300 is easy to ride, less demanding and can support a heavier rider much easier. Add the fact the bike is more versatile then a 150. At higher elevation the 150 gives up quite a bit of power too. Is the 150 a bad bike, no, but I don't see it being the best bike either...

I built my 144 as a 2nd bike. I just built it 1st cause I couldn't wait to ride it  :goofy: .

His 150 had factory suspension and a fairly tuned motor. He also weighs nothing, is in phenomenal shape and was a 2 time GNCC champion (soon to be 3rd). In his case it's not the bike, it's the rider.

But for most of us, riding a 150 is fairly demanding. They don't produce the torque a 300 produces or an easy to ride motor. The 250/300 is easy to ride, less demanding and can support a heavier rider much easier. Add the fact the bike is more versatile then a 150. At higher elevation the 150 gives up quite a bit of power too. Is the 150 a bad bike, no, but I don't see it being the best bike either...

But the OP currently rides a 105SX, so a 150 is going to be a huge step up in size and power.  At his experience level and for his riding conditions the 150SX could very well be the perfect choice, "maybe" the 200XC if he needs a bigger gas tank and favors trails over riding MX.

But the OP currently rides a 105SX, so a 150 is going to be a huge step up in size and power. At his experience level and for his riding conditions the 150SX could very well be the perfect choice, "maybe" the 200XC if he needs a bigger gas tank and favors trails over riding MX.

I agree, I think the 200 would be the best option...

I'm gonna make it a third vote for the 200 mine is awesome.

I found the 150sx to be a very capable bike, I had a 13 150 for 2 seasons. It did very well in the woods as well as the track and I could always produce good lap times, but after an hour on an MX track I was whooped.

Over the winter I put a 200sx engine in the 13 chassis and it beats the 150 everywhere. Lap times are similar, but I can ride more consistent laps for a longer period of time.

For all around use it's hard to beat a 200 2 stroke.

Edited by poldies4

I'm way bigger than OP but if I wieghed under 200lbs I have a 150sx instead of a 300sx.  The 150 is just so light and fun with plenty of power.

Will we see a xc model again, or quite possibly a 150 enduro Husky for 2017?

But for most of us, riding a 150 is fairly demanding. They don't produce the torque a 300 produces or an easy to ride motor. The 250/300 is easy to ride, less demanding and can support a heavier rider much easier.

As a current owner of both a 150sx & 250sx and previously several 250 & 450 thumpers, I disagree with view point quoted.

"Some" people may find a 150 more demanding, while many others find the lightness and low inertia of a 150 to be easier to ride and handle and actually less demanding. Other than requiring more clutch work, the 150 is my view is much less demanding compared to a 250 a 2 stroke. A 250sx 2 stroke requires much more respect and with its high output 'instant on' type power requires much more effort. Additionally the 250's have much less over-rev and requires as much shifting as the 150.

I personally can ride harder and for much longer on a 150sx than my 250 or any Mx thumper I've owned.

Please bear in mind that my feedback comes from my experiences on the SX models only, not the heavier fly wheel enduro 250's.

As a current owner of both a 150sx & 250sx and previously several 250 & 450 thumpers, I disagree with view point quoted.

"Some" people may find a 150 more demanding, while many others find the lightness and low inertia of a 150 to be easier to ride and handle and actually less demanding. Other than requiring more clutch work, the 150 is my view is much less demanding compared to a 250 a 2 stroke. A 250sx 2 stroke requires much more respect and with its high output 'instant on' type power requires much more effort. Additionally the 250's have much less over-rev and requires as much shifting as the 150.

I personally can ride harder and for much longer on a 150sx than my 250 or any Mx thumper I've owned.

Please bear in mind that my feedback comes from my experiences on the SX models only, not the heavier fly wheel enduro 250's.

It's more the Intensity needed to keep the 150 singing IMO.

I haven't ridden an SX in the woods for yrs, but the EXC's are very smooth, Add the mapping switch and they can be lugged around in 3rd all day long  ;) .

I'm comparing the SX250 with a YZ250's power delivery. Pretty much the same porting so has to be close.

150SX and 250SX. I'd most likely agree with you. Not so much if were talking 250EXC.

I do notice the boyz on the 250 2T's do slow down after a few hours on the bike. I put that down to the weight of their bikes. But for the 1st few hours I have to be right on it to stay right with them.

Need more physical fitness for the 250, but need better cardio fitness for the little Whizz Bangers. They keep you very busy. The smallest mistake will stick out like dogs balls on the 150 as well. There's nowhere to hide

Edited by AddictedToBling

I built my 144 as a 2nd bike. I just built it 1st cause I couldn't wait to ride it  :goofy: .

Sounds like me.. all I wanna do is ride my new bike!

I'm against those small motor bikes.. 125s and 150s.  Sure they can be ridden fast, but for me being 190 lbs they are a hinderance nearly everywhere.  Lighter riders can get more use out of them I know. 

Sounds like me.. all I wanna do is ride my new bike!

I'm against those small motor bikes.. 125s and 150s.  Sure they can be ridden fast, but for me being 190 lbs they are a hinderance nearly everywhere.  Lighter riders can get more use out of them I know. 

I'd be well over 200 in gear  :lol: . 110kg, so around 21/2lbs in a kilo, makes it somewhere around 275-ish in gear.

I'd be well over 200 in gear :lol: . 110kg, so around 21/2lbs in a kilo, makes it somewhere around 275-ish in gear.

I'm 195w/o gear and me and the 150 get along fine.

The 150 is the better bike. It does not matter what the question is.

:thumbsup:

Im ~130 lbs will the 150 last me a few years?

Or will I never need more power

Edit- mostly trail and have a 105sx now

Edited by jay bird1138

Im ~130 lbs will the 150 last me a few years?

Or will I never need more power

Edit- mostly trail and have a 105sx now

The only reason I went from the 150 to the 200 was I wanted to. In no way is the 150 underpowered. You'd be happy on it for a long time I assume.

BTW I'm 42 and 175 in gear, never had an issue when I NEEDED more than the 150 had...