Sign in to follow this  

Signal Light Melting

Whats the cure to keep the exhaust from melting the signal light. I zip tied it to suck it up on more of an angle and put heat tape on the signal light. Still melting. Removed the signal light and cut the locating nub off too turn it on more of an angle, still melting.

The exhaust was melting when it was stock pipe, then installed akrapovic pipe, still melting.

I dont want to put flush mounts on because the police dont take kind to these bikes on the street and will pull you over for anything they can.

Whats the cure to keep the exhaust from melting the signal light. I zip tied it to suck it up on more of an angle and put heat tape on the signal light. Still melting. Removed the signal light and cut the locating nub off too turn it on more of an angle, still melting.

The exhaust was melting when it was stock pipe, then installed akrapovic pipe, still melting.

I dont want to put flush mounts on because the police dont take kind to these bikes on the street and will pull you over for anything they can.

i did the sicass racing rear and lights, it looks very OEM not ghetto. otherwise good luck! 

if your melting with stock can, go after your jetting or mapping, no melting if you cool the burn down

Edited by Spud786

Its a 2016 350exc-f, had the dealer do the xc map when I did the desmog and pipe. We ensured the bike is running at its best. I dont think the melting would ever be an issue when just around town or trails being on/off the throttle consistently. But when on the highway doing 120km/h for 15km straight stretch is whats causing it.

Does anyone have a picture of the Sicass lights installed, not the flush mounts.

Its a 2016 350exc-f, had the dealer do the xc map when I did the desmog and pipe. We ensured the bike is running at its best. I dont think the melting would ever be an issue when just around town or trails being on/off the throttle consistently. But when on the highway doing 120km/h for 15km straight stretch is whats causing it.

Does anyone have a picture of the Sicass lights installed, not the flush mounts.

I run my 500 90 mph sustained routinally, and nothing melted in 8,000 miles with descreened stock endcap.  I guess the 350's must naturally run a lot hotter,  assuming your your jetting as good as it could be. 

I have not heard of this being a problem on the newer bikes at all. Is there anything on your bike that might be moving the light lower than normal, or the exhaust higher than normal? It sounds to me like the light is somehow in the exhaust stream when it shouldn't be. As a last resort, I remember seeing an exhaust end cap that is turned down, that should do the trick. I don't remember who makes it.. But it's odd that you're having this problem, it's unusual on the new bikes.

Nothing pulling the light down at all. I put an akrapovic pipe on, the tip is turned down slightly from stock but still heaying that light up. I will probably just wait till it melts a hole right through and then the dealer can warranty it.

My '12 got a little melted, but thought they fixed that on the later bikes.

Luckily a crash removed it clean off and now the bike is way faster!

• Like 1

Not an akrapovic issue...was melting through the tin tape when I had stock pipe on, put the akrapovic on and its not melting through the tin tape, but still gets it hot enough to make it warp.

20150816_201149.jpg

20150816_201118.jpg

No, no and no lol. The bike is almost brand new and has never been laid down yet. I removed the signal ligh and cut the little align nub off so i could turn it and angle it up a bit more so the heat wasnt so much on the lense. It almost seems like the heat from the exhaust is swirling around back there when riding down the highway. I used two zip ties to pull it up on an angle even more and its better but not fixed. I really dont want flush mounts because of the legal issue here in Saskatchewan. Does sicass offer a smaller, slimmer light? Hard to tell from pictures what size there are in reference to oem.

If you have to have them there and you want the stock size, and melting is an issue, just lengthen the wires and move them down just above the plate since your keeping the stock exc black under fender plate holder. One note, once the chain stretches really good and and you put a new knobbie on it your problem may go from melting blinkers to chewing the plate up. These 500's are awesome, but KTM really screwed up the ass-end of the EXC with the blinkers and plate mount option on the U.S. bikes. The exc's don't like new big knobs and loose stock chains. Think about swapping the plate holder with an xcw in the future. It's about $15, but the damn light is another $80. There other after market options out there if needed. Again, if you need 'em and there's an issue, just move 'em.

The stock mounting can still be 'wrong'. Weld might be in wrong place or the wrong angle. Can something be bent to help your situation?

If it's that new I'd call that a warranty issue.

Edited by DR.billZ

I'd just get the Sicass flush mounts and call it done. I lost both OEM signals within the first week of ownership. Kicked one off due fatigue on a remount, and snagged the other off by some brush that moved into my path.

The blinkers are attached to the $15 plastic plate mount. Looking at the op's pics the blinker looks correct. The exc and xcw blinker locations are the same, except the xcw plate mount only has pilot marks for blinkers and the exc is factory drilled with blinkers already installed. Doubt hole is in wrong position but guess that is possible. Both mine and my buds got melted a little, and his is stock TPS and mine is magic mod so fueling didn't help the burn. It's just a poor design to be mounted where it is IMO.