Sign in to follow this  

Washington Starvation Ridge 24HR Race - Looking for a team

Hi All,

Scott from the OTBG suggested I put a post on here in my attempt to find or form a team for the 24HR race at Starvation Ridge.    I've never done an endurance event like this before,  but after watching some videos and talking to several folks who have,  it sounds like a blast.    So,  if you are in need of a rider,  I'd certainly be interested in giving it a go.   40+,  mid pack B rider,  decent wrench, no recent racing,  but have raced some Qualifiers and Nat'l Enduros in my youth.  My equipment is in top shape,  but the same can't be said for the body.   That said,   I've been riding the mountain bike 3-4 times a week and am logging 40-60 miles of singletrack on the 450 every week in preparation.   Just looking to have fun and be competitive.    I live in N. Idaho but would be willing to travel for practice/meetings if needed.   Shoot me a PM if you are in need of a rider and I'll send you my contact info

Thanks,

Phil

You might check with PANTRA? since you are in northern Idaho. They have sent teams down in the past. We also get a large contingent from Montana also.

On the lights......several suggestions.  Have at least TWO independent  light sources. One source running off the bike, another off a battery. ( helmet light OR a common flashlight). In  one race, I  limped in on a triple A pocket penlight!  ....Maybe slow....but it beat waiting for the sweep crew.

Color of the light is huge. If the dirt is moist and dark almost any color works. But if it's dry and powdery, a cooler color gives more detail. I run a 4300K Trailtech 8" HID that I added a 50 watt ballast.for a better pattern. The 6000+k lights are spooky in dry white conditions.  The LED's are gaining, but I haven't seen a light yet with a better pattern than mine. Look for color, reach, and pattern( or call it dispersion). That is where mine excels, it has a wide beam that is a huge advantage in two areas. When the front end is up while on the throttle It still lights up the ground in front of me

, and when approaching a tight corner the light spread lights up where I'm going BEFORE I turn the bike. ( less surprizes)

I tried a Halogen color 3000k bulb once.....only once......the color worked gangbusters in the dust, but it had little reach and was actually harder to ride fast with It. The 3000k light didn't carry or spread and it felt like I was using a flashlight instead of a race light. I pretty much just use the 4300K bulb.

Key to the 24hr ( Yes it will be 25hrs with daylight savings time change this year).... is PREPARATION !!!  The winning teams are prepared for anything. Any problem becomes a huge issue during 24hr race. Lights....communications...bike prep ( & spares).....riding gear......food & water.....clothing off the bike......rider strategy.... DEALING WITH ADVERSITY !! . The teams that do well, plan well. Expect wind, cold, changing soil conditions, changing track conditions.  And a race course that is varied and constantly changing. The hot line at 5 hrs into the race is rarely the hot line at 12 or 18 hrs in, let alone the last hour.

That is what I love about the 24/25hr. It's as much a thinking man's race as it is a brave man's event.

Especially with the options and split trails we lay out.

• Like 1

You might check with PANTRA? since you are in northern Idaho. They have sent teams down in the past. We also get a large contingent from Montana also.

On the lights......several suggestions.  Have at least TWO independent  light sources. One source running off the bike, another off a battery. ( helmet light OR a common flashlight). In  one race, I  limped in on a triple A pocket penlight!  ....Maybe slow....but it beat waiting for the sweep crew.

Color of the light is huge. If the dirt is moist and dark almost any color works. But if it's dry and powdery, a cooler color gives more detail. I run a 4300K Trailtech 8" HID that I added a 50 watt ballast.for a better pattern. The 6000+k lights are spooky in dry white conditions.  The LED's are gaining, but I haven't seen a light yet with a better pattern than mine. Look for color, reach, and pattern( or call it dispersion). That is where mine excels, it has a wide beam that is a huge advantage in two areas. When the front end is up while on the throttle It still lights up the ground in front of me

, and when approaching a tight corner the light spread lights up where I'm going BEFORE I turn the bike. ( less surprizes)

I tried a Halogen color 3000k bulb once.....only once......the color worked gangbusters in the dust, but it had little reach and was actually harder to ride fast with It. The 3000k light didn't carry or spread and it felt like I was using a flashlight instead of a race light. I pretty much just use the 4300K bulb.

Key to the 24hr ( Yes it will be 25hrs with daylight savings time change this year).... is PREPARATION !!!  The winning teams are prepared for anything. Any problem becomes a huge issue during 24hr race. Lights....communications...bike prep ( & spares).....riding gear......food & water.....clothing off the bike......rider strategy.... DEALING WITH ADVERSITY !! . The teams that do well, plan well. Expect wind, cold, changing soil conditions, changing track conditions.  And a race course that is varied and constantly changing. The hot line at 5 hrs into the race is rarely the hot line at 12 or 18 hrs in, let alone the last hour.

That is what I love about the 24/25hr. It's as much a thinking man's race as it is a brave man's event.

Especially with the options and split trails we lay out.

Excellent Information.....Thanks!!    I will try to get in touch with PANTRA as well.   I poked around a bit on their website and it looked pretty quiet.   As for lighting,   it looks like I am on the right track.   I am just about done with a custom set up using a TT X2 housing and fitting it with a 2" and  a 4" LED lights in 4500K.   Combined,  they should throw about 5000 lumens and have a pretty good pattern.   I will also be picking up a helmet light from Darryl before the race to take care of the redundancy aspect.    Sounds like a blast for sure..... As for cold temps,  what is the coldest conditions that the race has been held in?   Just curious because I recall many Halloween nights in this country when the temps were 15-20 below zero.    If it gets that cold down there,  I better plan on grip heaters....lol....

Just curious because I recall many Halloween nights in this country when the temps were 15-20 below zero.    If it gets that cold down there,  I better plan on grip heaters....lol....

15 to 20 below Canadian Zero or Real Zero?

I think the coldest I've seen at the race was maybe 20-25°F, though I haven't gone the last few years.

I have found PANTRA will have more activity on their facebook page. Good group of folks. I rode a few times with some of them this spring.

I will definitely check that out.   Is there a link you can possibly provide?   I tried to search on FB a few weeks ago and couldn't seem to find their page.

Thanks

Phil

I think the coldest I've seen at the race was maybe 20-25°F, though I haven't gone the last few years.

Real American Zero!    We always seem to get a cold snap during elk season,  though not in the last several years...    Glad to know it wont be that cold during the race.....

I will definitely check that out. Is there a link you can possibly provide? I tried to search on FB a few weeks ago and couldn't seem to find their page.

Thanks

Phil

Search "PANTRA - Panhandle Trail Riders Association". That's the way it's titled on their page. Not sure how to provide you a link (dumb guy on a "smart" phone)

Search "PANTRA - Panhandle Trail Riders Association". That's the way it's titled on their page. Not sure how to provide you a link (dumb guy on a "smart" phone)

Mtngoat-....I finally found it.  Thanks a bunch for the assist.

The very first year, back in 2003? before global warming, we missed -10F by one week.....The week before!

It was dry that year, so we had water pumps and rigs on hand, we were starting to pre-soak the course. Weekend before it dropped to -10 overnight and + 20 for a high for 3 days. Froze everything up hard enough that nothing thawed until the day before the race and we didn't have time to repair freeze damage.Had 2 inches of snow on the ground the week before, but it was so fluffy, and the ground so dry, that it had little impact on the dust.

During the race +20 to +25 in the wee hours of the morning, before sunrise, would be the lowest, usually over along Swale canyon on the west side is where it gets noticeably colder. Between the higher elevation and the winds coming up out of the canyon it can get miserable on that portion ( sometimes).

The very first year, back in 2003? before global warming, we missed -10F by one week.....The week before!

It was dry that year, so we had water pumps and rigs on hand, we were starting to pre-soak the course. Weekend before it dropped to -10 overnight and + 20 for a high for 3 days. Froze everything up hard enough that nothing thawed until the day before the race and we didn't have time to repair freeze damage.Had 2 inches of snow on the ground the week before, but it was so fluffy, and the ground so dry, that it had little impact on the dust.

During the race +20 to +25 in the wee hours of the morning, before sunrise, would be the lowest, usually over along Swale canyon on the west side is where it gets noticeably colder. Between the higher elevation and the winds coming up out of the canyon it can get miserable on that portion ( sometimes).

Wind is the real bugger I imagine.    Better put some Elephant Ears on the the shopping list....    Thanks again Scoott for all of  the inside scoop on the event.... Really looking forward to it.

According to the website,  Pre-Entry deadline which gets you a free T-shirt is 01SEP15,  without the shirt is 01OCT15.  

From the website:

Pre-entry is open at www.overthebarsgang.com Free T-shirts tp pre-entries RECEIVED by September 1st. Pre-entry w/o shirt ends October 1st. More to come!! OTBG
P.O. Box 1582
Goldendale, Wa

For Information:
Scott - 541-980-7971 Debbie - 509-261-030

Edited by Scoutman76

Just putting this back on the front page in case anyone is looking for a couple of riders or is in search of a team.   Right now there is 2 of us who plan on racing the 25HR race but we could use 3 more guys to make it a viable team.   We will be racing the 6HR Race on 19SEP15 in the 40+ Amateur Class and would love to chat with anyone at that event who is still looking for a team/riders.

Thanks

Phil

Hi All,

Scott from the OTBG suggested I put a post on here in my attempt to find or form a team for the 24HR race at Starvation Ridge.    I've never done an endurance event like this before,  but after watching some videos and talking to several folks who have,  it sounds like a blast.    So,  if you are in need of a rider,  I'd certainly be interested in giving it a go.   40+,  mid pack B rider,  decent wrench, no recent racing,  but have raced some Qualifiers and Nat'l Enduros in my youth.  My equipment is in top shape,  but the same can't be said for the body.   That said,   I've been riding the mountain bike 3-4 times a week and am logging 40-60 miles of singletrack on the 450 every week in preparation.   Just looking to have fun and be competitive.    I live in N. Idaho but would be willing to travel for practice/meetings if needed.   Shoot me a PM if you are in need of a rider and I'll send you my contact info

Thanks,

Phil