2009 KXF250 steering is tight

My 2009 KX250F steering is a bit tight. I like it when I can just tap it, and itll continue to turn all the way on its own when its on the stand, but its not doing that. However The steering is smooth, not notchy or clicking, so I think the bearing is okay. Is there a way to adjust the steering easily? I dont have a steering stem spanner wrench but I do have a flat head screw driver and hammer so I am hoping I can use that for whatever I need to do it. 

NOTE: I got this bike about a year ago to ride in Nevada while im visitting my mom. 

If the steering was loose and has now gotten stiffer, chances are those bearings are on the way out. You can always loosen the top triple nut and use the flat head and hammer to loosen the lock nut on the stem. Loosen it in 1/8" incriments until you get the desired feel and then torque down the top nut.

If the steering was loose and has now gotten stiffer, chances are those bearings are on the way out. You can always loosen the top triple nut and use the flat head and hammer to loosen the lock nut on the stem. Loosen it in 1/8" incriments until you get the desired feel and then torque down the top nut.

That is the exact answer I was looking for. Thank you!

I think the previous owner tightened it down because of the rocks and what not in some areas here. Most people get steering dampeners on their bikes because of it. 

Can I grease up the bearings if I need too without taking them off? I dont really have a tools to do it the right way. I know for the steering stem its all pressed. 

I am going to grease up the linkage today, might as well get into the steering stem. 

Edited by kxmotocross216

Everyone likes their steering a little different. I personally prefer my steering a hair tight. Yes, you can clean and grease everything no problem. The only thing that is pressed on is the inner race on the lower bearing. It will be pressed onto your stem. It can be a PIA to replace because you have to cut it off in most cases to replace it. Just remove the lower triple clamp and you can clean/grease the race while it's on the stem and reassemble.

Its just so tight that slow speed turning is a bit of a chore and awkward. 

Anyone know what size the steering stem nut is? I dont have a big enough socket for it, so im going to have to go get one. 

I used to tighten mine so the bars wouldn't swing around on their own. It helps with Arm Pump :thumbsup: . Never had to replace bearings. If you bought the bike 2nd hand, I'd say it was setup like that. Think steering dampener.

Most pro's have their bikes setup this way. Little things add up and help.

Suzuki steering stem nut is the same as the rear axle, not sure about the Kawy though. I'd suggest leaving it and getting used to it. Good for late in a moto when you're tiered and might get into a tank slapper as well.

I'd also suggest push ups. Proper push ups. Slow down and up, nose to the floor. Same as lifting free weights, if you're not controlling the weight, you're wasting your time.

Edited by AddictedToBling

Its just so tight that slow speed turning is a bit of a chore and awkward.

Anyone know what size the steering stem nut is? I dont have a big enough socket for it, so im going to have to go get one.

I believe it is a 32mm, but I'm not sure. I'd have to look when I got home. Measure it with some calipers if you have a pair in the meantime.

I believe it is a 32mm, but I'm not sure. I'd have to look when I got home. Measure it with some calipers if you have a pair in the meantime.

Ill wait till you are home to know for sure. I can work on some other things till then. Still need to get the linkage out.

Pretty sure It's 22mm

I used to tighten mine so the bars wouldn't swing around on their own. It helps with Arm Pump :thumbsup: . Never had to replace bearings. If you bought the bike 2nd hand, I'd say it was setup like that. Think steering dampener.

Most pro's have their bikes setup this way. Little things add up and help.

Suzuki steering stem nut is the same as the rear axle, not sure about the Kawy though. I'd suggest leaving it and getting used to it. Good for late in a moto when you're tiered and might get into a tank slapper as well.

I'd also suggest push ups. Proper push ups. Slow down and up, nose to the floor. Same as lifting free weights, if you're not controlling the weight, you're wasting your time.

Yup we run ours stiff too always have. Grease em up good when ya get em tighten down to your liking. Poormans steering stabilzer...haha

I wouldnt leave it , its a 32 mm .

Strip and clean the old grease off and replace with Marine grease , it will last much longer . 

I also run my steering slightly tight , it shouldnt just swing from side to side.  

I wouldnt leave it , its a 32 mm .

Strip and clean the old grease off and replace with Marine grease , it will last much longer . 

I also run my steering slightly tight , it shouldnt just swing from side to side.  

Its just slightly to tight for me. Just want to loosen it up a very little bit. But still be slightly tighter.

Im not comfortable on the bike the way it is right now. It works well for all the rocks on some of the trails, but I hate it if I go to a track. 

Edited by kxmotocross216

Thats why im saying strip it , clean it and re grease , so you can check the condition . 

Then you can adjust to your liking . 

I decided to leave the steering tightness as is. I need to get some tools by the next time I am visitting my mom to be able to take the steering stem and linkage apart. I leave tomorrow.