Sign in to follow this  

Finding first gear!

My 2014 Drz sm is starting to be an @$$ to put in first gear. It's got three thousand mile on the clock as of now. I change the oil ever 800-1000 mile depending on how bad the gear shifting is. After this last oil change finding first gear is a mess. I can roll forward and keep smashing the shit out of the foot shifter to get it. If I come to a sudden stop while stile in third in takes years just to get down into neutral. Is there something going on here or is it just how the Drz is?

its hard to say .. bikes in general can be finicky shifting while sitting still, i hardly ever do it and try to avoid 1st unless its moving really slow .. i'd just check your clutch play, maybe try a different oil, preferably not synthetic so the tranny will break in some, and stay consistent with your shift method both ways ..

• Like 1

My 2014 Drz sm is starting to be an @$$ to put in first gear. It's got three thousand mile on the clock as of now. I change the oil ever 800-1000 mile depending on how bad the gear shifting is. After this last oil change finding first gear is a mess. I can roll forward and keep smashing the shit out of the foot shifter to get it. If I come to a sudden stop while stile in third in takes years just to get down into neutral. Is there something going on here or is it just how the Drz is?

User error: 

trying to force a constant-mesh transmission to shift through the gear-dogs without any movement of the gears (ie: wheel rotation) means it will be very difficult to change from one to the next. 

The rider should be downshifting as they slow down, so that the correct gear is engaged when needed. 

The clutch adjustment, oil type, oil level, cable adjustment has nothing to do with the difficulty of shifting from 5th to 1st, with the rear wheel stopped. 

• Like 5

User error:

trying to force a constant-mesh transmission to shift through the gear-dogs without any movement of the gears (ie: wheel rotation) means it will be very difficult to change from one to the next.

The rider should be downshifting as they slow down, so that the correct gear is engaged when needed.

The clutch adjustment, oil type, oil level, cable adjustment has nothing to do with the difficulty of shifting from 5th to 1st, with the rear wheel stopped.

I agree seeing if I let the clutch out a little it will click down it needs movement from the engine so 1+

• Like 2

error code 18

18'' behind the handlebar.   :p

very well explained by Ohgood

Edited by maxpat82
  • Like 1

bwight - i'm sorry that sounded harsh (i just read my own reply again), but it wasn't meant that way. :)

better explaination: in a car, neutral is in the middle, and you can achieve neutral from any gear selection without having to pass through the other gear shifts to get there. on a bike, you have dogs (that bite the side of each gear and fully engage each other) that are carressed into position prior to the bite by your shifting forks. those forks are very thin, very smooth, and sliiiiiiiide the gears from one position to another. if there isn't any rotation of the transmission (the engine doesn't matter at all) then those dogs are forced from one "BITE" to another without any alignment. this is why you (or any rider) will have trouble shifting from 6th to 1st gear with on a motorcycle. if you just barely rock the bike forward/rearward, it will slip into the NEXT gear easily, but cannot skip a gear. 

the usual issue with changing from somegear to neutral or from neutral to 1st gear is the clutch has not fully disengaged, or the dogs are not aligned. try disengaging / rengaging the clutch a couple of times and it should cliiiiiiiiick into first again. 

:)

• Like 2

ohgood is correct. You can just jump from a higher gear to a lower gear when the bike is stopped. It'll just keep clicking, unless you let the clutch out some then click down.

• Like 1

Mine does that too maybe once every few hundred miles. I change the oil quite often or until I notice notchy shifting. Sometimes I'll be stuck in 4th gear or neutral and it won't shift down at all when at at the red light and I'm like "oh crap, lights about to turn green and I'll be bogging out like a mother f'er"

As mentioned above, let the clutch out to the point your bike creeps forward and down shift it and it always does the trick for me.

• Like 1

bwight - i'm sorry that sounded harsh (i just read my own reply again), but it wasn't meant that way. :)

better explaination: in a car, neutral is in the middle, and you can achieve neutral from any gear selection without having to pass through the other gear shifts to get there. on a bike, you have dogs (that bite the side of each gear and fully engage each other) that are carressed into position prior to the bite by your shifting forks. those forks are very thin, very smooth, and sliiiiiiiide the gears from one position to another. if there isn't any rotation of the transmission (the engine doesn't matter at all) then those dogs are forced from one "BITE" to another without any alignment. this is why you (or any rider) will have trouble shifting from 6th to 1st gear with on a motorcycle. if you just barely rock the bike forward/rearward, it will slip into the NEXT gear easily, but cannot skip a gear.

the usual issue with changing from somegear to neutral or from neutral to 1st gear is the clutch has not fully disengaged, or the dogs are not aligned. try disengaging / rengaging the clutch a couple of times and it should cliiiiiiiiick into first again.

:)

your all good the reason I noticed this issue is because a car pulled out in front of me and I had to lock it up! I was in fifth gear when it happened. It took tens to down shift. I never got a chance to give the guy the finger for doing that to me!

Thank you all for all of the tips. I think I have the right play in the clutch, but who knows. I'm used to sports bikes. This supermoto is a whole new thing to me. Its the best purchase I've ever made. Anybody got a quick link for all of the torque specs on the bike?

Edited by Bwright

Thank you all for all of the tips. I think I have the right play in the clutch, but who knows. I'm used to sports bikes. This supermoto is a whole new thing to me. Its the best purchase I've ever made. Anybody got a quick link for all of the torque specs on the bike?

Here is a small list out of my clymer service manual I got from the TT store.

9BAB361E-A29F-4314-85E5-B76859868EE2.jpg

A couple others that are used somewhat often not listed in that pic that you find when reading:

Lower triple clamp pinch bolts: 24 ft lbs

Upper triple clamp pinch bolts: 22 ft lbs

Steering stem nut: 66 ft lbs

Edited by Kx250FRiDeR651

Hard to offer the finger when clutch and brake levers are in use.

Here is a small list out of my clymer service manual I got from the TT store.

9BAB361E-A29F-4314-85E5-B76859868EE2.jpg

A couple others that are used somewhat often not listed in that pic that you find when reading:

Lower triple clamp pinch bolts: 24 ft lbs

Upper triple clamp pinch bolts: 22 ft lbs

Steering stem nut: 66 ft lbs

thank you! Your the reason why this forum is awesome!

does anyone else have trouble going from second to first while moving? many a time i shift down to get to first, hit the gas, and find nothing because the transmission stopped at neutral.

does anyone else have trouble going from second to first while moving? many a time i shift down to get to first, hit the gas, and find nothing because the transmission stopped at neutral.

when that happens, let the clutch out, and pull it back in...  i know its happened to me before, not regularly... but coming to a stop at a light, i will down shift with my speed. but then i notice the green light on with the last shift...  burb the clutch and it always goes into first...   does this fresh oil, or not... 

Yeah I've been releasing the clutch a little and that works. I'll just do that for now on when it acts up.