2005 RMZ250 first Suzuki

Hello all,

I just wanted to chime in as I am new here, but not new to forums.  I will be picking up a 2005 RMZ250 today.  Seller says it needs a new head and I saw the overbore kits that I plan to install.  Anything else I should look for?  This is my first 4 stroke dirtbike as I have a 2 stroker KTM.  I did rebuild the head on my sons Yamaha Badger 80cc, so I have some experience on 4 strokers.  

The bike looks rough and with your help, I plan to make it very nice.  Any known issues on these bikes?

Thanks in advance,

Leo

CL1.JPG

CL2.JPG

CL3.JPG

Thanks for the replies guys.  I looked into later bikes and I cannot afford the one time shot as they are too expensive here.  I am ok with a carb bike.  The price is cheap and it's a project anyways.  2005 decals red sticker and limited months on when you can ride them anyways.  November is the next time I will be going out riding anyways.  Here in Calif, it's the way it is and yeah it sucks.  My KTM is 2002 and has a green sticker which I can ride all year.

Fulton, why do they run hot?

Edited by MPDano

The coolant is known for boiling over too.  Not sure but im always super surprised to see an old RMZ at the track.  Seems like some people have nothing but problems with the older ones.  Some seem okay though.

Edited by kevin758

LOL Fulton I was gonna respond with the same thing.. Lucky. 

Get a Yamy if you want an old bike or project!! BULLET PROOF comes to mind when thinkin of those.  All years too. back to early 2000s.

I would still be skeptical about buying an RMZ older than a 2013.. So I went out and bought a 2013 lol. 

Best of luck,

Was in TJ on Sunday for my niece's birthday party, decided to take a look at the bike.  Wow, it was a total POS.  The "whole" head was missing, I mean the cylinder on up.  Shocks were shot.  Rear brakes were removed for some reason.  This was a total parts bike.  Moved on.

Was in TJ on Sunday for my niece's birthday party, decided to take a look at the bike.  Wow, it was a total POS.  The "whole" head was missing, I mean the cylinder on up.  Shocks were shot.  Rear brakes were removed for some reason.  This was a total parts bike.  Moved on.

lol... unless he was selling it for $100, you did the right thing by moving on.