Stalling after replacing float bowl gasket

I have a bone stock 2000 BRP. The float bowl gasket was leaking, so I pulled the carb and installed a Moose Racing XR650L carb rebuild kit. The bike fired right up, but once warm, stalled with any throttle.

I did another tear down and switched back to 100% original parts except the float needle (identical to stock) and gasket. The bike fired right up, but once warm, only stayed running, poorly, with a lot of throttle fidgeting around looking for a spot to keep it running.

- The gap on the choke (valve starter) looks good according to a PDF version of the FSM.

- Throttle cables are adjusted like before according to my sharpie marker.

- I cut the tab off the air mixture screw so I could adjust 360. I set it to ~2.5 out.

Air mixture screw - I can’t really get in there while it is running.

- Once warm, with the choke off, it will stall if I’m not messing with the throttle.

- No room to adjust and avoiding getting burned. Gloved fingers didn’t work.

- So it’s back to about 2.5 turns out.

Idle Screw - I tried several positions, but with everything else going on like trying to keep it running, I can’t really tell a difference.

- So it’s back to the sharpie marked thread.

When it stalls, is the bowl full of fuel? Open the drain screw to check.

Will it not idle because the speed is set too low, or because it's running poorly?

Carb not well seated in the boots?

Thanks for the leads...

- Bowl has fuel

- I turned up the idle as a test. I think it’s just running very poorly.

- Carb seems well seatedl. And I did lots of wiggle wiggle before tightening down.

There is a small amount of dark smoke mixed in the exhaust.

Black / brown smoke can be poor combustion of a very rich mixture or misfiring. I'd disassemble the carb again and double check the choke plunger, the float / float needle, and the slide diaphram / spring.

Thanks for all the help so far. Got the BRP torn down again.

The carb had no needle jet (brass tube with a small hole on one end, larger hole on the other, that goes in before the needle jet holder, which the main jet screws into the top of).

Or, I lost the needle jet unknowingly while cleaning during the first rebuild. So I didn’t install the new one that came with the rebuild kit. I just screwed the holder with the jet back in.

It is pictured in the service manual PDF (#17 on page 5-6, thanks TT). But the manual doesn’t say which way it goes.

So, does the small hole end or large hole end go in first?

Stated another way, small hole nearest or furthest from needle tip?

Want to know how solid your BRP is?

Someone who doesn’t know what their doing put the carb back together without the needle jet, and it still started.

With the jet, and your TT help, it runs like a champ!

Local hare scramble time... Roost...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By mrdsee
      ~177 Titanium bolts, nuts, washers etc leftover from various motorcycle projects. XR650, YZ 125, YZ250 a mix of new and used once hardware.
      Made by Mettec
      Over $2k worth of hardware
    • By Xr600guy
      So I don't seem to find my specific issue so here I am asking. 
      I have a 1997 Xr600r. It was recently re-jetted and has ran really well ever since until more recently it has begun to have this issue.
      Everything works fine. Kicks right away, nice and easy. Runs great, sounds great, purs. But when I'm downshifting and slowing down to a stop, if I let my hand off the throttle that's when it just dies. I found that I can counter this by lightly holding the throttle as I down shift (so I'm revving quite a bit during downshift).  But it hadn't done this before. 
      The only thing I've done that I suspect may have been an issue on my part was when I pulled out the engine to change the valve cover gasket and upon doing so perhaps when connecting the carb back to it, I may have missed something or made a crack in the boot? 
      Any ideas? Thanks 
    • By Kenya
      Hello all,
      There's been a lot of talk about how to register a dirt bike in states that don't allow it.
      I just moved to North Carolina and for the first time in my life might be able to afford a bike. I've been dreaming about an XR650R for a long time, but they're not cheap. Plated bikes seem to be more expensive too. So here's my question, has anyone tried to plate a dirt bike by adding all the necessary features and having it inspected as a custom bike? Anyone know of another way I can plate an xr650 in NC?
    • By Jsmoot
      Hoping for some help before I throw in the towel and end it all!
      Engine starts fine, runs and idles well for +/- 10 minutes, but cuts out while riding once the engine warms up (175 - 185) and intermittently cuts out thereafter (any speed/gear). It will start up after 30 seconds or so (but won't run for long before dying again). No spurting or surging.. just dies.
      I've replaced CDI (twice), Spark plug, spark wire and coil, and most recently pulse generator. I do have a 41mm Flat side carb from a CRF (and it has more power than the old carb setup), breathing through a Uni filter. Also, sealed battery tender battery (hasn't shown low when trickle charged).
      What's next on the test/replace list? Stator maybe? Please help...
    • By Richard Stevens
      I found a buddy that’s going to help me with the “Dave’s Carb Mod” after that what size jets should I order before we begin? I’m in Cols Ohio and 1140 above sea level. Should I just order the Dyno kit or FMF kit or should I just go to jets r us and order 2-3 from there? Thanks all so much help. Love it. Stay safe out there.