Are Trial tires for me? (MT43, Mountain hybrid)

Hi,

There are so many different threads to search through for tires that I am finding it very difficult to make a decision.

I am new rider and my riding style is currently slower speed "exploring" pace, I am not a MX racer and don't have the confidence to go ripping through the woods at the moment (current tires are work Kenda 761's as it was set up for street mainly).

I was thinking of going aggressive (D606/Mt21/Tractionator) however I think these are very overkill for my current needs as I won't be ripping at fast speeds/leaning and powering out of turns roosting).

I keep coming back to a Trials type tire due to hearing the traction is insane and they do ok on the road.

The bike will be close to a 50/50 (no close trails) use and when I am offroad, its the middle of the woods/mountains exploring.

I like the Motoz Mountain hybrid due to the shoulder lugs offering better cornering stability and grip over the Pirelli MT43. I am stuck on a front tire though as I read a knobie combo is best to keep control and steering if the speed picks up. I am currently leaning towards a Motoz Mountain rear and Tractionator IT front combo.

What do you guys recommend and what are your opinions.

No experience with the Tractionator front tire you are talking about, but I have been running an MT43 trials tire for my rear this whole summer and it has been great.  I ride mostly singletrack or ATV trails and it has hooked up good in everything.  I've ridden it on the street and on dirt roads and don't have any complaints.  I'm running a Dunlop MX51 for a front tire and will stick with this combo in the future.  The wear on the trials tire is a lot better than a knobby.  I've been on the same rear tire this whole summer and normally would be on my 2nd or 3rd rear tire at this point.    

The only place that the trials tire hasn't been good is in the mud, but it doesn't sound like that's your type of riding anyhow.  If you do get a trials tire I would also run a rim lock.  I got a Motion Pro one off of E-Bay for pretty cheap.    

I'm using a Mountain Highbred on the rear now.  It's OK.  I run MT43 on most of the other dirt bikes.  I will go to the MT43 on the DRZ next tire change.  Any good knobby on the front.  I like the Maxxis IT.  Not DOT marked but also not marked "off road only" which makes it legal in WA.

Mt43 is the shit. You can street ride all day and they don't wear out quick like a regular knobbie, and they hook up great in dirt. I would only run those when I had my plated Ktm 450. Rode them daily in the streets for a couple months at one point to work and back and it still looked new. The 4.00x18 is perfect. Rode the mountain trail that was local to me and pretty rocky and had a blast.

Edited by Kx250FRiDeR651

Thanks for the feedback, how were the MT43's on the street cornering wise, I and not a peg dragger, but I don't poke either.

You sound like the perfect candidate for a trials tire use. Here's a question you should answer with the use of a trials tire especially if used a lot on pavement: How often are you willing to buy new tires? I know lots of riders who are willing to go through 2 rear trials tires each season to have max traction along the way. They get torn to pieces by the guys that have the need to climb our steep & shale rock terrain while hard on the throttle. I'd recommend going Tubliss to lose some weight & run lower air pressures for even better traction if that's your main goal. All the tires so far mentioned above are loved by many. There are just too many personal variables in tire choice making it challenging to follow others' feedback. Wet/dry conditions, rider weight, bike weight, suspension set-ups, riding style, & terrain all play a critical role. The trials tire seems like a great choice for your style riding IMO  :thumbsup:

I have a set of Mitas E09's Dakar's on at the moment and they hook up great and appear to be wearing quite well.  I can't tell much difference on the back compared to the D606 but the front is WAY BETTER than the D606 front everywhere.  

Thanks for the feedback, how were the MT43's on the street cornering wise, I and not a peg dragger, but I don't poke either.

I rode like an &%$#@! on my Ktm 450excr which is twice as fast as a DRZ and went around corners pretty freaking fast and never slid out. Edited by Kx250FRiDeR651

Hi,

There are so many different threads to search through for tires that I am finding it very difficult to make a decision.

I am new rider and my riding style is currently slower speed "exploring" pace, I am not a MX racer and don't have the confidence to go ripping through the woods at the moment (current tires are work Kenda 761's as it was set up for street mainly).

I was thinking of going aggressive (D606/Mt21/Tractionator) however I think these are very overkill for my current needs as I won't be ripping at fast speeds/leaning and powering out of turns roosting).

I keep coming back to a Trials type tire due to hearing the traction is insane and they do ok on the road.

The bike will be close to a 50/50 (no close trails) use and when I am offroad, its the middle of the woods/mountains exploring.

I like the Motoz Mountain hybrid due to the shoulder lugs offering better cornering stability and grip over the Pirelli MT43. I am stuck on a front tire though as I read a knobie combo is best to keep control and steering if the speed picks up. I am currently leaning towards a Motoz Mountain rear and Tractionator IT front combo.

sedona 907,

mt43,

shinko 241 (trials tire $50 shipped)

hybrid/whatever

shinko 244

they all work well, but my favorite rear so far is the shinko sr241

trials tires work great on dirt/ds bikes, but they don't like being spun up or downhill breaking. they like easy control of throttle and brakes, and a user to make traction their goal instead of massive roost.

mud is not their strong suit.

the exception is the sedona 907. it's awesome at everything.

sr241 lasts about 70 hours on my kdx

I and a buddy have rocked shinko 244s really like them for 50/50 riding! Cheap and last a decently long time

Looks like I am going to order up a set of Motoz tires.

Going with the Mountain Hybrid rear and the Tractionator Enduro I/T front.

I would like to go with a tubeliss system, but for not just gonna go with some HD tubes.

I will report back once installed and tested.

Couldn't convince you to go MT43 huna.  The hybrid rear works best mounted "tubliss system"  That way you can run the hybrid where it works best - zero to 5 psi.  Did I mention it's stiff.

Couldn't convince you to go MT43 huna.  The hybrid rear works best mounted "tubliss system"  That way you can run the hybrid where it works best - zero to 5 psi.  Did I mention it's stiff.

I would like to try the MT43 however the lack of side lugs and the fact I will be doing some mountain roads at speed makes me want to try the Motoz. 

I plan to try a few different tires in the next few years, for my riding and plans I think the Hybrids side lugs will come in handy.

Edited by MyKLX400

Hi,

I love the MT 43. Ride mostly single track in Sierra Nevada mtns. Great traction and long wear. Ride highways to trails and like them better than Dot knobbies. Reluctant to make the change but now regret delaying purchase.

Shinko 244 or kenda k270 are good 50/50