Sign in to follow this  

Carbonization in Direct Injection Engines?

Is the issue with direct injection engines as far as carbon build-up on the backs of valves a real issue or more hype? And, is a GDI engine with a turbo an even bigger concern? Going to need a new vehicle in the near future, so I've been reading about this issue. I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time and it seems like owners like me are those with the greatest risk of the costs associated with maintenance. Any firsthand experiences to share?

I had 2008 audi with the 2.0 turbo that suffered from this problem,though not having to deal with it myself many other owners have. Driving habits and maintenance seemed to play a bih part. Driving it hard and keeping the crank case ventilation system in good shape helped me fight off any issues for 100 k . Even then you can clean the valves and intake without a complete teardown. I now have a audi 3.0 with supercharger with 0 issues so far

• Like 2

I like what mec said, the Italian tune-up is quite important on the VW direct injection diesels as well, but that's more the manifold than the valves...but if you drive them hard regularly, they have few reported issues

sounds like a job for water induction, and a splash of sea foam regularly

The issue is very real. BMW 335's have trouble with it. Kind of unacceptable if you ask me.

The issue is very real. BMW 335's have trouble with it. Kind of unacceptable if you ask me.

Bud of mine sold his 535i before the warranty expired b/c of carbonization that smoke both turbos TWICE! More and more cars are going GDI to meet emissions, MPG, and power. By the time they start giving troubles for most, warranty is over. I think I'm going to stick with multi-port FI. Seems to be pretty bulletproof.